Raheem Sterling | Arsenal Player (on loan)

These are probably lacking context and sound worse in isolation but they don't read very well tbh. The obvious standout being the cryptic suggestion about a specific reason he wasn't in the side but aside from that, I find it odd the fact he thought it was a "massive surprise" he wasn't a guaranteed starter anymore after 18 months of largely shit performances and players like Foden performing much better. He thought he was playing well?

Last edited:
Have to say, out of context sounds like he absolutely saw his arse and went out in search of guaranteed playing time.

Fair enough if you don’t think you can hack it. As I said thanks for everything you gave us sterling, all the best wherever you end up!

Last edited:
Might be that he feels he didn’t play because he disagreed with Pep (the reported argument) or he felt Foden was playing ahead of him just because he was from the academy, which obviously wouldn’t be true…

Just speculation on my part trying to make sense of the quotes.

It's just the media trying to knock City, most of what he's said is complimentary, he wasn't playing enough, and in his head he needed to move on, good luck to him, because is form over the last 12-18 months wasn't good enough to guarantee a start at City, the change of scene might help his form (it might not).

Might be that he feels he didn’t play because he disagreed with Pep (the reported argument) or he felt Foden was playing ahead of him just because he was from the academy, which obviously wouldn’t be true…

Just speculation on my part trying to make sense of the quotes.

Raheem is surely intelligent enough to know that the reason Foden started ahead of him is because he is a much better player.

sounded to me like he enjoyed his time here but didn't enjoy being benched. fair enough. he stuck it out a fair while and nothing changed so reasonable he'd look to move on.

also sounded to me like he thinks our style doesn't quite suit his skill set as he talked about being required to be structured/static rather than natural wing play. again fair enough.

he didn't complain, he just sorted the situation for him, and as it happens, for us.

pretty difficult to give an interview about choosing a new club without there being something implicitly negative about where you came from. but he did pretty well.

gave us some good years, as we did for him

hmm late posts have a habit of reading differently in the morning

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.