Raheem Sterling - Done - See main forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't worry about Sterling taking instructions.

In the first half of 2013/2014, Sterling was regarded as "all speed and no brains". I was one of the supporters that went on record saying he would never amount to anything, and if he hadn't learned the game by 19 he wasn't going to do it by 21 either.

But he proved us (or me at least) wrong. In fact, he is one of the quickest studies I've seen the last five years. Rodgers uses more of a "triangle" based attack, similar to the way Barcelona plays. Its very hard, especially if you're schooled in a different way of thinking football. But finding those triangles, learning how to move and when to move, came rather quickly for Sterling. He was no longer just a runner, it turned out he was amazing at holding the ball, allowing others to get those extra seconds to move into new open areas. And with his speed he has no problem just turning around his shoulder and get past his defender if they stand too close. Players like Lallana depends on movement around him, and the only time Lallana has been good this season was when he was paired with Sterling.

I think that movement, that ability to allow players like Silva/Aguero space, will be a great injection. However, I think the most important contribution from Sterling will be that he has no problem "putting in a shift". He will be good in games where all players have to dig it out and spend large chunks of the game defending. I think City's downfall in the Champions League has been that you field players that primarily contribute when the ball is on the opponents half. But against teams that hold the ball, teams that own possession, City seem to struggle. Players like Nasri and Dzeko simply doesn't cut it in the defensive department.

In Sterling you guys will get a perfect player for your right wing, and a good alternative to put beside Silva in the middle. Now please stop shopping @ Liverpool! :P

Welcome to bluemoon. Nice to see a level headed bindipper ;)

I think he will be taught when to take someone on and when not to and when to shoot and when not to.

He will also be playing in a fairly settled side where all players know how we play and what is expected of them. We now have Hart, Zabaleta, Clichy, Kolorov, Kompany, Yaya, Aguero, Silva, Nasri and Dzeko who have all been with us for more than four seasons.

English players have struggled with us before because 1. They are not technically gifted enough ( I think Sterling is) and 2. They cant seem to follow instructions in how to play in the style the manager wants (Time will tell with Sterling)

However much money he cost, you cant be happy at losing another of your best players.

Well Id say this, the likes of Aguero, Yaya, Silva, came in as ready made players. Theyre no brainers, and dont need any analysis to say thats a good signing before theyve kicked a ball.

The other players you mentioned came in at the age of 23-24 which is a different kettle of fish. Thats the age we would have thought Sterling would have maybe moved on if he was going to, cause he isnt ready.

Were talking about still developing a youth player, only 20. And only 19 when he felt hes ready for the next step. Obviously wenger has that knack over the years, with the current crop being Ramsey, Wilshere, Oxlade Chamberlain, who have been groomed form a young age. Wenger built their games. Rodgers was building Sterlings game but hes been taken out of the incubator early. At least 2-3 years short.

The discussion about City, from the outside at least is that its more of a sink or swim environment. With big money like youve got, time is not on your side for youth development because your more inclined to splash the cash on the next big thing, who are ready out of the box.

Were not happy that he wanted to leave because he was our own development, but were certainly not unhappy for the fee paid, because we dont think he worth that much. If you bought him more at his market value say £25-30million for a 20 year old then that would be really painful. But £49million, is almost a no brainer for us in itself.

Well Id say this, the likes of Aguero, Yaya, Silva, came in as ready made players. Theyre no brainers, and dont need any analysis to say thats a good signing before theyve kicked a ball.

The other players you mentioned came in at the age of 23-24 which is a different kettle of fish. Thats the age we would have thought Sterling would have maybe moved on if he was going to, cause he isnt ready.

Were talking about still developing a youth player. Obviously wenger has that knack over the years, with the current crop being Ramsey, Wilshere, Oxlade Chamberlain, who have been groomed form a young age. Wenger built their games. Rodgers was building Sterlings game but hes been taken out of the incubator early. At least 2-3 years short.

The discussion about City, from the outside at least is that its more of a sink or swim environment. With big money like youve got, time is not on your side for youth development because your more inclined to splash the cash on the next big thing, who are ready out of the box.

Were not happy that he wanted to leave because he was our own development, but were certainly not unhappy for the fee paid, because we dont think he worth that much. If you bought him more at his market value say £25-30million for a 20 year old then that would be really painful. But £49million, is almost a no brainer for us in itself.

So he is not that good and we have overpaid yeah?

Thanks for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.