Rainbow laces campaign

I'm pretty sure there was a thread on here after last season's home game against Chelsea, initiated by a City fan who was ejected and banned for a few games for shouting 'Chelsea Rent Boys' at the away fans. He got no sympathy from anyone on here.

I was at all 3 games against Chelsea last year and never heard it once; not inside or outside the stadiums.
I was stood behind the goal of the youth cup final game where around 2/300 City fans sang it to their keeper for a good 5 minutes.

Going off your figures there are over 4m that don't classify themselves as heterosexual.

I'd say that's a sizable amount of people in our small island.

How can you say they are not discriminated against when not one gay/bi professional footballer in the Premier League feels safe enough to actually be open about their sexuality. How can you say they aren't discriminated against when you still get fans singing "who's the faggot in the pink" at any away fan brave enough to wear a pink top?
Good lord, when did you last go to a game!

As far as i'm aware, paying for your season ticket to watch City has allowed you to do just that. It's not like all games were called off and everybody forced to watch an educational video for 90 minutes instead. I have literally no idea why you've found it such a distraction. A person who genuinely had no interest one way or another could quite easily have just ignored it. I doubt the campaign was barely noticed by my dad for instance, which is fine, as he genuinely wouldn't care if somebody was gay or not and nor would he interpret a gesture like this as something being forced on him. The people taking time out of their day to sound off about it three days after the event are making it a distraction for themselves.

As has been pointed out several times, the club made a gesture that wasn't intended to be a "display about homosexuality" as you've interpreted it. It was just a shout out to a type of fan, who might have followed the club through thick and thin but hasn't always felt safe or welcome at games, that they actually ARE welcome and that anybody who wants to give them shit about it does not speak for them. Why that's a problem for you, or anybody else, I don't know.

It's also ridiculous for you to speculate how Fernandinho felt about the whole thing. I'm pretty sure if it was that much of a problem that he could have discreetly asked that someone else wear the armband that day. The way it's been passed around this season it's not like anyone would have noticed if somebody else had it for the day. That said, any player that finds the idea of the club making sure that all fans from all walks of life are welcome can leave if they don't like it.

Excellent post. Very well expressed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.