Rainbow laces campaign

And people say there's no need to show supports, the battles won, it's no longer an issue etc... Well and truly pisses me off
And they try and dress it up as PC being shoved down their throats.

It won't affect them in the slightest. But it does obviously grate on their latent homophobia.

I've been arguing with fans who are against this on twitter for a while now. Baffles me that there's such backwards thinking people in the 21st century. Depressing that people still think in this barbaric way.

The decision to put the rainbow flag behind the badge is probably just a decision by the social media team. I highly doubt the chairman of the club would support such an action, having lived in the middle east for 6 years I cant think of many locals I have met who would think homosexuality is acceptable. Its also notable that our owner who is deputy prime minister of the UAE has hardly den much to liberalize the homosexuality laws in said country.

Ill be interested to see which players actually wear these laces - which surely the club cant dictate. When you look through the likely starting team there are a number of practicing Catholics, Evangelical Christians and Muslims whose faith would probably put them at odds with a pro LGBT stance. If some players don't wear these laces then instantly its saying they have issues with Homosexuality and in my mind will cause further problems. I cant for example see Yaya Toure wearing them....

To me ultimately there is just no need for something like this - the club should come down hard on people who do chanting of an inappropriate nature but that's enough for me.

It makes me laugh when people say they've got no issue with homosexuality, but just don't want it rammed down their throat. I don't think City changing their avatar on social media channels really constitutes that.

Anyway, I'm proud that the club are showing support for the LGBT community. I find it pretty depressing that anyone would take umbrage with that in the 21st century.

The decision to put the rainbow flag behind the badge is probably just a decision by the social media team. I highly doubt the chairman of the club would support such an action, having lived in the middle east for 6 years I cant think of many locals I have met who would think homosexuality is acceptable. Its also notable that our owner who is deputy prime minister of the UAE has hardly den much to liberalize the homosexuality laws in said country.

Ill be interested to see which players actually wear these laces - which surely the club cant dictate. When you look through the likely starting team there are a number of practicing Catholics, Evangelical Christians and Muslims whose faith would probably put them at odds with a pro LGBT stance. If some players don't wear these laces then instantly its saying they have issues with Homosexuality and in my mind will cause further problems. I cant for example see Yaya Toure wearing them....

To me ultimately there is just no need for something like this - the club should come down hard on people who do chanting of an inappropriate nature but that's enough for me.
Ha. You really think that decision was just from the social media team? Do you think the rainbow flags outside the stadium are just there thanks to the flag team as well?

City have always been inclusive and Manchester has always had a vibrant LGBT community. Whatever Khladoon's thoughts in private and HRH Mansour's stance in the UAE, one or both will have given the go ahead. They know they are doing business in a metropolitan forward thinking city.

Last edited:
It makes me laugh when people say they've got no issue with homosexuality, but just don't want it rammed down their throat. I don't think City changing their avatar on social media channels really constitutes that.

Anyway, I'm proud that the club are showing support for the LGBT community. I find it pretty depressing that anyone would take umbrage with that in the 21st century.

It's mind boggling how upset people get about this thing. It's not political and it's not shoving anything down anyone's throat. It's the club reaching out to a demographic who historically have felt excluded, unwelcome and sometimes unsafe at games, that they want then to come to games and feel every bit a part of of it as anyone else. It's the club saying to young players who might be coming through the ranks and struggling with their sexuality, that they don't need to walk away from the game and that the club will offer a supportive environment.

Ha. You really think that decision was just from the social media team? Do you think the rainbow flags outside the stadium are just there thanks to the flag team as well?

City have always been inclusive and Manchester has always had a vibrant LGBT community. Whatever Khladoon's thoughts in private and HRH Mansour's stance in the UAE, one or both will have given the go ahead. They know they doing business in a metropolitan forward thinking city.

I would imagine yes the social media team put the flag on the badge on the FB/ twitter page. All the stuff at the game is part of the premier league initiative which I hazard a guess they had no real choice but to go along with.

As I said earlier Ill be interested to see which players wear these laces, and I bet the majority wont.

Quite.

I would imagine yes the social media team put the flag on the badge on the FB/ twitter page. All the stuff at the game is part of the premier league initiative which I hazard a guess they had no real choice but to go along with.

As I said earlier Ill be interested to see which players wear these laces, and I bet the majority wont.

What stuff at the game? There's no game on today. I'm talking about the rainbow flags outside the ground during pride.

You think all of these things happen without the say so of our chairman really? Do you think he doesn't know?

If the majority don't wear the laces then it just goes to show how far football has to come to catch up with the rest of society. Nothing more.

It's a campaign to encourage people to be kinder to one another. Anyone who disagrees with that is seriously fucked up. You can dress it up as "political correctness gone mad" all you like, there is still nothing to take offence at here.

Anyway, back to 2016...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.