Rangers thread 2024/25

Yeah, I remember guys I know (who I don't respect) making that point about the EL Final in 2022. I said they'd get found out in the CL the next season, which is what happened. Let's be brutally honest, the run to the EL Final involved a lot of things lining up for the club. Plus, there's been a decline in the last two years anyway.

Rangers are going nowhere for me. The club is cursed. The entire club is a shambles from the inept board down. It doesn't matter who you bring in, Celtic (who I also don't rate at European level) have a financial advantage and aren't as badly run as you.

'Rangers are struggling to get rid of the deadwood that previous managers have left us with. Once they are moved on I’m sure we will start moving in the right direction.'

Comments like that are just your false hope I think. There's no evidence for that comment based on the recent past. We have heard that loads of times. I said Clement seemed like a deer in the headlights when he first came in and look how bad his tactics and man management are now.

Clement will resign or there will be a mutual parting of ways, the next poor manager will come in. You'll get rid of some deadwood and then sign new players who will be the deadwood in 5 or 6 years. Rinse and repeat.

You sound very confident about the 30 years thing, but it could easily have been almost 15 already except for a solitary title (taking into account you were out the league for several years). Even if it doesn't take 30 years, I would be amazed if you won more than three or four over the coming decades (maybe that is more realistic so I will alter it to one title on average every decade). Celtic are on a severe run of dominance that doesn't look like ending soon. It's Bayern and PSG level dominance (with the odd title being won by Rangers/Leverkusen/Lille). The overall point is that you're a very distant second and will live off scraps. Whether that's no title for 30 years or a few. The only thing that stops that in my opinion is Celtic imploding.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the Old Firm dominance of Scottish football. In an ideal world neither club would win the title. I don't like Celtic any more than I like Rangers, and I in fact come from a family of Rangers fans. But as it stands, the smart money is always on Celtic.

I don't think you realise quite the predicament your team is in.

Also, you were saying Rangers would definitely win the league last season. You seem a nice enough fella but I do think you lean on the 'positive' side and don't quite realise how bad it is. That's just my honest opinion mate.

You are honestly as screwed in Scottish football as Man United are in English, in my opinion.

If you look on Rangers fans sites there's guys saying these same things. Plenty of them seem resigned to it.

It's just my honest take and not intended to offend. I always try to give my honest opinion, even if some don't like to hear it. I am not saying I am definitely right but I firmly believe the above will happen.

Like I say, you seem a good guy but I don't think you are able to face up to just how bad it is. Understandable as you love the club, but still.
Don’t think you can just come in here and start talking fucking sense. There’s no way we are having that.

Great post. I’m not as confident as that for tye simple reason. I know our board and that their shitebag tendencies will always fuck us up.

We know where we are in Europe. That’s why we are angry we haven’t brought in the players we know are required to put up a better fight. That’s us all over.

Don’t think you can just come in here and start talking fucking sense. There’s no way we are having that.

Great post. I’m not as confident as that fit the simple reason. I know our board snd that their shitebag tendencies will always fuck us up.

We know where we are in Europe. That’s why we are angry we haven’t brought in the players we know are required to put up a better fight. That’s us all over.
Yeah, like I say. I have no love for either club. I am not really bothered either way who wins the league - doesn't affect me either way really.

But I am trying to call it as honestly as I see it. I do concede that the '30 years' comment was a little silly and I take that back. I think maybe 5 titles in 30 years is about the maximum Rangers can hope for. In saying that 30 years is a long time.

However, given the general pattern European football is going in, capitalism and money becomes more important every year, and every year builds on the previous and exponential growth happens. Hence, it becomes a self-fulfilliing prophecy - as we know, the more Celtic win, the more money they make, they get the cash injection from the CL, and it becomes self-perpetuating and self-sustaining.

As you and I said, though, your board could implode. I think Rangers' best chance is Celtic become an utter clown show as bad as Rangers are (even worse than Celtic's board is now), and the playing field levels domestically.

Btw I’m not sure why you are belittling Rangers Europa league win. On that run we knocked out Dortmund winning 4-2 away! Knocked out Red Star , Braga and RB Leipzig. It was a fantastic achievement for a club outwith the Top 5 leagues. We were very unfortunate to lose to Frankfurt who had knocked out Barcelona and West Ham (who won conference following season)
Yeah that is fair enough. Just thought there were a few games where got the rub of the green, but that's true of even the elite sides in the world (Real Madrid for example lol).

It was a strong achievement for sure. But I think you'll agree that this team isn't performing at that level.

I know a lot of fans were critical of guys like Kent, Aribo, Morelos etc (I wasn't a big fan either really), but sometimes the grass isn't greener when you look at who has replaced them.

Yeah, like I say. I have no love for either club. I am not really bothered either way who wins the league - doesn't affect me either way really.

But I am trying to call it as honestly as I see it. I do concede that the '30 years' comment was a little silly and I take that back. I think maybe 5 titles in 30 years is about the maximum Rangers can hope for. In saying that 30 years is a long time.

However, given the general pattern European football is going in, capitalism and money becomes more important every year, and every year builds on the previous and exponential growth happens. Hence, it becomes a self-fulfilliing prophecy - as we know, the more Celtic win, the more money they make, they get the cash injection from the CL, and it becomes self-perpetuating and self-sustaining.

As you and I said, though, your board could implode. I think Rangers' best chance is Celtic become an utter clown show as bad as Rangers are (even worse than Celtic's board is now), and the playing field levels domestically.
Rangers have suffered season upon season of truly woeful recruitment. They are then stuck with guys, some bought for to us, good money, who they can’t get out due to high wages and nobody wanting them. Their board have also failed to cash in on players like Morelos and Kent. Not the kind of money the Rangers fans in the press says they were worth, at the craziest, £40m for Morelos and £20m for Kent, no laughing at the back, but we are talking maybe £25m for both of them. That was disastrous. Our board would have both of them out the door.

You are right about the financial gap giving your club a chance to just get out of sight. However, you need a board with ambition to invest properly to ensure, even if we don’t have a golden ticket to the CL, as our standing in Europe denies that, we still have a team able to negotiate the qualifiers. And if I am absolutely honest, we don’t have that. And the way this window us going so far, that opinion is validated.

They have two weeks to get in additional, first team ready players, we desperately need. The outcome of the next two weeks will tell everybody where we are regarding a true ambition to take another step up. I’m not convinced they will, even though they know the support will go tonto. Bottom line is they have all the shares votes that matter and they don’t give a fuck. I just hope they have finally realised what is required of them. Again, no laughing at the back.

Rangers have suffered season upon season of truly woeful recruitment. They are then stuck with guys, some bought for to us, good money, who they can’t get out due to high wages and nobody wanting them. Their board have also failed to cash in on players like Morelos and Kent. Not the kind of money the Rangers fans in the press says they were worth, at the craziest, £40m for Morelos and £20m for Kent, no laughing at the back, but we are talking maybe £25m for both of them. That was disastrous. Our board would have both of them out the door.

You are right about the financial gap giving your club a chance to just get out of sight. However, you need a board with ambition to invest properly to ensure, even if we don’t have a golden ticket to the CL, as our standing in Europe denies that, we still have a team able to negotiate the qualifiers. And if I am absolutely honest, we don’t have that. And the way this window us going so far, that opinion is validated.

They have two weeks to get in additional, first team ready players, we desperately need. The outcome of the next two weeks will tell everybody where we are regarding a true ambition to take another step up. I’m not convinced they will, even though they know the support will go tonto. Bottom line is they have all the shares votes that matter and they don’t give a fuck. I just hope they have finally realised what is required of them. No laughing at the back.
Yeah you're right on all that. I get the feeling you've been saying it a very long time as you seem extremely frustrated with the board at Celtic Park, for obvious reasons.

With the new Swiss system having its inaugural season in the CL, there is really not as much benefit now to being in a higher pot - you'll be drawn with two teams in each pot regardless and play 8 teams once. I believe Celtic are in pot 3. What would you like to see in the CL this season? There's no dropping into the EL so you have to finish top 24 of 36 to qualify for a play-off to make the last 16. Do you think that is possible for you?

I think it's a tall order. I have looked at the teams in the competition and it seems fairly strong this season - even Pot 4 looks strong with the likes of Monaco, Villa, Girona, Stuttgart and Bologna.

I guess with your comments on not being able to qualify for the CL if you didn't get in automatically you think you'll get pumped again?

Like I say I do think it will be very hard. But 24/36 teams? A lot of teams will think they can manage that. That's top 2/3 of the competition, rather than needing to be in the top half of a four team group.

Yeah that is fair enough. Just thought there were a few games where got the rub of the green, but that's true of even the elite sides in the world (Real Madrid for example lol).

It was a strong achievement for sure. But I think you'll agree that this team isn't performing at that level.

I know a lot of fans were critical of guys like Kent, Aribo, Morelos etc (I wasn't a big fan either really), but sometimes the grass isn't greener when you look at who has replaced them.
We had a ridiculous decision against us v Dortmund at Ibrox

Went through the latter stages with no recognised No.9 as Morelos was injured while away with Columbia

Fans were critical of Kent due to his numbers missing the fact teams doubled up on him leaving space for others

Morelos for a period was almost unplayable (at our level) but then became a complete liability. No control on the pitch and lack of effort to get back somewhere even remotely near match fitness when the club needed him. His Red card at Easter Road was the end for me.

Not sure I remember any criticism of Aribo. A hugely popular figure among the support along with Bassey and Kamara. All left with the best wishes of the support

Obviously the team is nowhere near that level. Mostly thanks to the support chasing out club legend GvB bland reolacing him with Michael Fucking Beale!!

We had a ridiculous decision against us v Dortmund at Ibrox

Went through the latter stages with no recognised No.9 as Morelos was injured while away with Columbia

Fans were critical of Kent due to his numbers missing the fact teams doubled up on him leaving space for others

Morelos for a period was almost unplayable (at our level) but then became a complete liability. No control on the pitch and lack of effort to get back somewhere even remotely near match fitness when the club needed him. His Red card at Easter Road was the end for me.

Not sure I remember any criticism of Aribo. A hugely popular figure among the support along with Bassey and Kamara. All left with the best wishes of the support

Obviously the team is nowhere near that level. Mostly thanks to the support chasing out club legend GvB bland reolacing him with Michael Fucking Beale!!
Yeah I thought as I was typing that that Aribo shouldn't be mentioned there. I liked Kamara as a player a lot by the way - when I watched you I loved the way he maintained possession. Obviously not a world beater but very intelligent player and far better than the likes of Diomande, Lawrence and the others there now.

I totally agree on Michael Beale too. I was perplexed when Rangers appointed him. I know he was assistant to Gerrard but that doesn't translate into doing well in the main seat. It always seemed doomed to failure.

To be fair I wasn't convinced by Gio either as the manager (he was a great player for the club as you say) but surely he was far better than (Ian) Beale. Anyone with foresight could have saw that.

Yeah you're right on all that. I get the feeling you've been saying it a very long time as you seem extremely frustrated with the board at Celtic Park, for obvious reasons.

With the new Swiss system having its inaugural season in the CL, there is really not as much benefit now to being in a higher pot - you'll be drawn with two teams in each pot regardless and play 8 teams once. I believe Celtic are in pot 3. What would you like to see in the CL this season? There's no dropping into the EL so you have to finish top 24 of 36 to qualify for a play-off to make the last 16. Do you think that is possible for you?

I think it's a tall order. I have looked at the teams in the competition and it seems fairly strong this season - even Pot 4 looks strong with the likes of Monaco, Villa, Girona, Stuttgart and Bologna.

I guess with your comments on not being able to qualify for the CL if you didn't get in automatically you think you'll get pumped again?

Like I say I do think it will be very hard. But 24/36 teams? A lot of teams will think they can manage that. That's top 2/3 of the competition, rather than needing to be in the top half of a four team group.
How we fare in the CL directly correlates with how we tool up in the next two weeks. Two scenarios.

1. We fail to improve the squad and go as is. We have improved and are playing some really good stuff since preseason. Our speed of passing, counter press have been great. We have Kasper in goal and he is a massive boost. I would expect us to get close to qualifying, but not quite enough.

2. We buy the players we need. A CB and LB a winger and I honestly believe we can qualify. Then get handed our arse probably knockout stage. I would rip every arm off every guy in this forum, mine included, to achieve that.

No 1 is obviously favourite. No 2 is as you say a tall order, but, ffs, at least give us a chance to take them on.

How we fare in the CL directly correlates with how we tool up in the next two weeks. Two scenarios.

1. We fail to improve the squad and go as is. We have improved and are playing some really good stuff since preseason. Our speed of passing, counter press have been great. We have Kasper in goal and he is a massive boost. I would expect us to get close to qualifying, but not quite enough.

2. We buy the players we need. A CB and LB a winger and I honestly believe we can qualify. Then get handed our arse probably knockout stage. I would rip every arm off every guy in this forum, mine included, to achieve that.

No 1 is obviously favourite. No 2 is as you say a tall order, but, ffs, at least give us a chance to take them on.
Fair enough. Seems a balanced enough take. It will be very difficult but might as well give it a go. If I am still posting I will give some thoughts on your games if I get to see them. Probably be watching other games though but we will see.

They have two weeks to get in additional, first team ready players, we desperately need. The outcome of the next two weeks will tell everybody where we are regarding a true ambition to take another step up. I’m not convinced they will, even though they know the support will go tonto. Bottom line is they have all the shares votes that matter and they don’t give a fuck. I just hope they have finally realised what is required of them. Again, no laughing at the back.
Why would they overspend though?

They have more than enough to win the domestic trophies.

Celtic are cash rich by Scottish standards but still lost ,arguably, their best player to Bournemouth who were in the championship at the time( could be wrong about championship). They are paupers in comparison to the likes of Southampton who have taken their best players in the past.

Celtic can’t compete with teams at the top in UCl and this is proven with them being the poorest team over the last 20 years in the tournament and Rangers the worst over a group stage. It’s where Scottish football is

We had people nearly wetti g themselves about Killie scraping past the Partick Thistle of Norwegian football!!

Celtic have just spent £9.5 million on a second choice striker!

Dermott has it spot on. Spend enough to be ahead of the competition but throwing money at achieving European success makes no financial sense. It’s their prudence that has you where you are

Be careful what you wish for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.