RB Leipzig (A) | Post Match Thread

We really do need more pace in this team. Grealish isn’t exactly slow but he’s not got proper pace, but he was by far the fastest of the five behind Haaland last night. I think that’s a problem we’ve faced this season.

While Jesus and Sterling had their faults (and it’s not like I wish we didn’t sell them or want them back) but we didn’t replace their pace in wide areas (since Jesus often played wide for us last season) and our general demeanour is that of a slow team now.

Even Álvarez who is faster than the others we have, isn’t fast. But what he has is desire and tenacity to his work rate.

Foden should be fit now so he needs to start playing regularly again. He, Haaland and Walker are the only players with any pace in the whole squad. I’d play him in attacking midfield with de Bruyne and see how he does. He’ll certainly try and pass to Haaland more than Bernardo and Gundogan did last night, especially in the second half.

Stones isn’t far away either so I’d love to see this line-up soon and see what happens:
————————-Ederson——————
Walker——Stones——Dias——Aké
—————————Rodri———————
————-de Bruyne——Foden———-
Álvarez———Haaland———Grealish

Doesn’t have to be every week as we have a lot of games and don’t want to burn them out (de Bruyne needs more tests than he’s getting as it is, plus Mahrez often scores so don’t leave him out long term). But just see how it goes with Foden in midfield.

Pep will look at that team and he’ll see four players who lose the ball more than others in the squad! I see it as more attacking!

How many times do I have to say that his positional sense is poor and that he doesn't (even try to) dominate his six yard box?

He lets things happen at dead ball situations, leaves it up to defenders to clear the ball, and hopes for the best. That's why we've seen so many goal-line clearances by the likes of Stones, Dias and Walker.

I thought he played well last night, but his weaknesses are still clear. He's probably the luckiest goalkeeper I've ever seen. To be so average, and still playing elite football... it's almost unbelievable..

He always defers to his defenders to clear from set pieces, and never dominates in that area. It's why he does get caught on his line a lot, even if others think he comes off it.

His starting position in the centre of his goal is poor and he shouldn't be moving to his front post on corners, ever.

As you say, he played well in parts, but he's far from elite.

In his post match comments basically admitted that he was scared of us losing possession. He was scared of that counter attack due to our lack of pace.

2 things…

1. He has moulded this squad of paceless players.

2. If his game (as we know) is ALL about possession, then not only WHY did he buy haaland, but HOW is he going to get the best out of this generational talent if the game plan is never to risk losing the ball and picking the pass out to him.

In all honestly , i think pep has totally tied himself in knots with the ‘keep ball at all costs’ philosophy

With regards to substitutions....If I remember correctly Pep was one of the advocates for the 5 Sub rule.......then the accusations were that it would benefit the bigger clubs with deeper squads because they would have better players to bring on........it's almost as though Pep is now reacting to that by trying to prove that he doesn't need the 5 sub rule to win trophys.

There was a spell last night (just like the Forest game ) when it felt as though the opposition were going to score and he did very little to change it.

We are limping home this season with a number of players who need to be either replaced or have a significantly reduced playing time and any trophy will be a success....I don't think we are good enough for the champions league.

I am not sure what has happened since the first 70 Minutes of the Derby massacre (when we looked unstoppable) but the ball is now delayed coming into the box with especially Siva and Gundogan the main culprits plus we have De Bruyne in decline and unable to consistently make the passes he was capable of 12 months ago.

The lack of pace in the squad he mentioned should not be a surprise to Pep.

I think the world cup has affected City more than most....especially the older players, but a Summer of rebuild similar to 2017 is definitely required.

He always defers to his defenders to clear from set pieces, and never dominates in that area. It's why he does get caught on his line a lot, even if others think he comes off it.

His starting position in the centre of his goal is poor and he shouldn't be moving to his front post on corners, ever.

Yes Ederson is not good enough if we hope to win the CL.

I had never noticed just how poor he was until I met ScaringEuropetodeath in Dortmund who said this to me and since then I have come to realise it is true.

I am happy with a draw out there, sets it up nicely for the return.

Wonder how many away fans they will bring, acid test for any clubs support.

Sorry but this just isn’t true. Ederson continually gets ranked among the best goalkeepers int he world for the number of corners claimed.

He did make a mistake yesterday, but overall his dominance of his box is one of the strongest parts of his game.

FUqevsNXEAApQD_

Ederson’s big problem and the thing that stops him being one of the very best int he world has always been 1v1s and he’s showing signs of changing his approach and getting much better results in that area- he dealt with 3 perfectly yesterday.

As people on here have said we are crying out for a wide player who can beat a man and deliver a good cross. Also we have no full backs thst can overlap the inverted wingers and deliver a decent cross or pass. There never seems to be runners from midfield off haaland into the box. The only time we really look like scoring is when we pounce on a mistake near the edge of the opponents box. Our creativity has really gone down hill. That said every time we went long haaland was not holding the ball up and when he did win it and flicked on he had nobody around him.

Your take on Grealish here is literally made of bollocks.

So you'd take out one of our best and most reliable players since the WC and punish him for great performances by replacing him on the LW with a player who's had attitude problems recently and shown little in his recent performances to deserve what you suggest.

Give me strength.
My take on Grealish, maybe move him inside. You can't get the ball off him, any fouls would likely be in shooting distance.....
That leaves Foden to play slightly left (or up top left). No idea who would make way in midfield though.

Yes Ederson is not good enough if we hope to win the CL.

I had never noticed just how poor he was until I met ScaringEuropetodeath in Dortmund who said this to me and since then I have come to realise it is true.

I am happy with a draw out there, sets it up nicely for the return.

Wonder how many away fans they will bring, acid test for any clubs support.
Someone in Dortmund told you Eddie is shit therefore you realise it's true?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.