RB Leipzig (A) | Post Match Thread

I think Pep was incredibly concerned by their threat on the counter so was unwilling to change the lineup or system as we'd controlled that side of things pretty well. Their goal was a really poor one to concede. Pep seemed happy with a draw and we have three weeks to keep gelling and nail this system to win the game. I'd rather he recognised the opposition's threat than stick with something that was seeing us sliced open. In Europe, he is almost always scarred from a previous campaign. The way we conceded so easily against Real despite our dominance will probably see us be much more defensive and a little more lacking in attack as a result. Win the CL drawing one game and winning the other 1-0 then happy days, no one cares how you win it in the end.

The problem is that we're not balancing being conservative and careful with taking our chances.

There were so many opportunities to play a low risk ball to put haaland 1v1 and even the neutral observers thought we could kill the tie and be 3 or 4 up at half time.

And when we don't take those chances it leaves us exposed if the opposition manager changes things drastically.

While as usual many on here are way over the top with their criticism a few worries have emerged this season.
Watching last night's game you could tell exactly what everyone of our players was going to to when in possession,the exception being Bernardo.Previously we have had Sane who would run straight at defenders and go inside or out with pace,the opposition never knew what Sterling would do next as half the time he didn't know himself.
Sometimes it's worth trying the unexpected as even when losing possession in and around the opposition box is when we are dangerous.
The transition period when they regain possession causes positional changes,and I'd be surprised if stats didn't show this to be a high risk time for defences.
We have played well the last few games and been unlucky,but now we're at the business end of the season the cup matches and our gap to the arse mean we need to win almost every match and more risk taking is required.

Sorry but this just isn’t true. Ederson continually gets ranked among the best goalkeepers int he world for the number of corners claimed.

He did make a mistake yesterday, but overall his dominance of his box is one of the strongest parts of his game.

FUqevsNXEAApQD_

Ederson’s big problem and the thing that stops him being one of the very best int he world has always been 1v1s and he’s showing signs of changing his approach and getting much better results in that area- he dealt with 3 perfectly yesterday.

Thanks mate. I would love to see someone compile stats for each time he doesn't come for crosses or gets lucky because he is rooted and the ball goes wide or is cleared by him deferring to his defenders?

I always equate this to the Nasri 95 per cent passing success rate. It's what the player isn't being judged for, rather than the ones which are analysed.

You've probably got them, haven't you ;)

Last edited:
I don't know how people can go from the siege mentality and backing Pep's press conference before the Villa game, to throwing him under the bus after two draws and saying we might need a change.
They haven't. The (IMO valid) criticism has been brewing for a while. Of course no-one is perfect and Pep has always had his critics, for example his stubborn-ness and reluctance to make changes even when things are patently not working. But the positives have always massively outweighed the negatives. The positive - negative balance seems to me to be slowly shifting a bit. I was so excited when we signed the greatest goalscorer the PL and arguably the world has ever seen, and to see him making run after run after run and no-one passing it to him, is frankly soul-destroying. God only knows how Haaland feels about it.

The problem is that we're not balancing being conservative and careful with taking our chances.

There were so many opportunities to play a low risk ball to put haaland 1v1 and even the neutral observers thought we could kill the tie and be 3 or 4 up at half time.

And when we don't take those chances it leaves us exposed if the opposition manager changes things drastically.

You can see Haaland doesn't even need to make the brilliant inside to out runs that Sterling did to get in on goal.

When do you see Erling flagged offside?

His positional awareness is incredible but we are so risk averse, not even him hanging on the shoulder of the last defender seems to illicit a pass down the sides.

It shouldn't have to be just Kev trying to deliver quicker.

Get where you're coming from mate but he was able to hang in the air because he was on Dias shoulders imo its a foul.

Exactly, if he doesn’t lean on Dias he can’t stay over the ball to head it down. It’s a soft foul but if say Dias leans on the centre forward like that on half way it’s given as a foul.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.