RB Leipzig (A) | Post Match Thread

He always defers to his defenders to clear from set pieces, and never dominates in that area. It's why he does get caught on his line a lot, even if others think he comes off it.

His starting position in the centre of his goal is poor and he shouldn't be moving to his front post on corners, ever.

As you say, he played well in parts, but he's far from elite.
He defended one on ones really well last night. Much better than he has done recently and then made a total mess of the goal. We should get someone like Martinez from Villa in the summer but doubt we will look to replace.

Just sat here thinking, this is the worst squad in terms of quality that I think we've had for 6 or 7 years

We actually don't have any devastating quality anymore, perhaps glimpses from De Bruyne now and then

We've become a team reliant purely on controlling the game, but without any substance in the final third

I don't think we've given enough concern to the fact that we've got the best goalscorer in world football in our team every week, and he has about 10 touches of the ball every game, of which 2 or 3 are meaningful. That's criminal.

More importantly and worryingly, we've become dire to watch
All internationals mate, we can't be that bad Shirley.

He defended one on ones really well last night. Much better than he has done recently and then made a total mess of the goal. We should get someone like Martinez from Villa in the summer but doubt we will look to replace.
We have a great No 2, just needs games

His shot stopping is way better than Eddy

His feet are also good enough

We have a great No 2, just needs games

His shot stopping is way better than Eddy

His feet are also quality

Trafford is also going in the right direction

Result could have been whatever. That was about the most soporific 90 minutes of football i've watched since....we last played...and the time before. We're wasting a fucking goal scoring savant. We're wasting him. We've bought the best pure goalscorer of the last 20 years and we're fucking wasting him. 26 goals sure. But most of them came pre world cup - and are we sure Pep isn't coaching the instinct out of him. Everything pep does is deliberate. There is no instinct.

We play boring football. I fucking love city, every day we play i love it, it makes my week, it makes me happy - but not this year. I want to win - but my god I want to be entertained at least a little. We have been so diabolically passive in too many games this year. This is entertainment. This is what we work for, to go to the games, to watch the football, to enjoy ourselves. I'm not enjoying this at all.

Rant over. Fuck fuck cufifucjcki jheolf
What we need ( sorry Ladies ) is a bit of c**t in this team or two c**ts.

Just sat here thinking, this is the worst squad in terms of quality that I think we've had for 6 or 7 years

We actually don't have any devastating quality anymore, perhaps glimpses from De Bruyne now and then

We've become a team reliant purely on controlling the game, but without any substance in the final third

I don't think we've given enough concern to the fact that we've got the best goalscorer in world football in our team every week, and he has about 10 touches of the ball every game, of which 2 or 3 are meaningful. That's criminal.

More importantly and worryingly, we've become dire to watch
I don't think it's that deep. Sometimes we play really well, other times we don't. This season we are not playing as consistently well as other seasons....yet. However the season started really well and I for one thought we were going to score 6 goals every game with Haaland grabbing 60 goals. It hasn't worked out that way but hopefully the last 3rd of the season will be outstanding for us. I'd settle for us playing like this seasons derby at home for ever more.

In my opinion it was a fascinating game of football which in many ways was a perfect European away game result. We set out to control the game as Leipzeig are on a good run of form and we have lots of testing away games in a row. The result though should have been better, I thought Gvardiol climbed all over Dias for their goal and we were somehow denied the clearest penalty I have ever seen. As away goals no longer count there was no need to go gung ho for extra insurance and we were pretty comfortable all night. Its HT and we have home advantage which will hopefully count in our favour. I would not underestimate them though as they can play and will be dangerous.

The conundrum though is Haaland and how do we get the best out of his talents. At the moment its a learning curve. We are simply not used to having a centre forward like him and he is not used to a team that plays the game based on possession. I think Pep is trying to solve the conundrum as he tried playing Mahrez inside last night and maybe it could be said the threat posed by Haaland allowed Mahrez the space to score from a position we don't often see him do. Ideally we would have a David Silva in there but sadly we do not and Foden's career trajectory appears to have stalled for the time being and Bernardo is used more in a 6 role nowadays (one i think that suits btw). I do get peoples frustrations that Haaland is not found and we play square balls, last night though I thought control was more important than trying to find Haaland because of their ability on the transition, which to be fair is pretty fucking good.

Before the game I would have taken a draw, a draw was what we got and now the onus is on us at home to put them to bed and with hopefully Kev available we will do just that,

Pep wants Haaland to be found, hence the whole structure change to accommodate him. He is not the one refusing the final pass when it’s so obvious the pass doesn’t need to be perfect
no but it is Pep who wants the control and not to lose the ball...listen to what he said on why he didnt bring on Foden - he knows foden will try and take players on, he knows he tries risky passes and he said he didnt bring him on (last night at least) because he didnt want to give the ball away (because their runners are better than ours" (or something to that effect)...he also mentioned the only two players who really have pace in comparrison are Walker and Haaland (again according to Pep - not my assessment).

I know Pep wants Haaland t be found..he also talked about passing to him BUT what Im saying is that the players are caught (and have been taught over the last few seasons) to keep possession, make that extra pass, keep the ball, possession is the best form of defence - Pep is responsible for that (and it worked very well previously...however now its not working as we have a striker making runs and the players are either not seeing it or just out of habit making the passes they use to when we played without a striker or out of fear of losing the ball (which is Pep's fear as well) cause we can be countered.

This is why our midfield needs an overhaul....we need box to box midfielders - which we have never really had for a while who can do everything (Bellingham) - he is not as technical aas B. Silva, David Silva or even Gundogan but he is more athletic than all of those (amongst over skills) which allows him to cover the ground needed and take risks on higher value passes as he can recover....But IMHO we need a lot more than Bellingham as if B. Silva leaves for instance and the decline of KDB keeps going and due to the lack of creative output from our wide players (primarily Mahrez and Grealish) we lack any creativity and it cannt be all on Bellingham as he just isnt that player

I thought Leipzig were there for the taking, and same as Forrest we just didn’t finish em off.
We are sleep walking into a dreadful season, that will end with nothing if we carry on like this. Watching us waste Haaland’s talent is so frustrating, I wish we would just attack and go past players like we did, but it it seems we either don’t have the players to do it or Pep doesn’t allow them to do it, either way it’s sh!t to watch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.