Ready meal curries

They're still around Bri, I've had the odd one in recent times just for nostalgic reasons, yes they are shit but they are one of the few things foodwwise that haven't changed one bit since the 70's, go on, treat yourself, you can pick them up for £1.50.[/QUO
The Indi Grand curries from Home Bargains are fantastic.
The vindaloo sauce is nice well worth 60p

If you have turmeric,cumin,coriander,chili,garam masala you can knock up most curries. Obviously if you have other spices and seeds it does help. Fresh garlic and ginger as well. Non of this base sauce malarkey. I can easily knock up a batch in approx 30 mins enough to feed 6-8people. All fresh. Obviously if there’s something extra or it’s lamb it will take a little longer. There’s a cash and carry in Hyde where you will get everything and it’s unbelievable value.
What if i've only got salt and a tin of condensed milk in?

I've posted about this previously, but if you like hot curry, I don't think you'll find hotter than this in a supermarket:

393702011_0_640x640.jpg

I don't know if it varies (I've only had it once) but it was by a country mile, the hottest thing I've ever eaten outside a restaurant. I eat vindaloo and jalfrezi and other hot curries all the time, but I could barely eat this. It is SERIOUSLY hot.

It's now been two weeks since Morrisons reduced all their curries to £2 a pop. And two weeks since I've eaten anything else for my dinner.

Make my own. Love doing it and far superior to any takeaway. You know exactly what has gone into it.
Couldn't agree more. You can knock up a quick midweek curry in no time or spend ages footering about making your own paneer and naan breads as well as the usual accompaniments. Difficult to beat restaurant popadoms though, unless you have any tips. I suspect deep frying may have something to do with it.

I've enjoyed doing it, have made my own curries for years but never found anything to match what I enjoy about eating out, the maker of those videos has it bang on for my tastes, so it's been worth the effort. The base is easy and just involves peeling and chopping, the madras was a little more daunting first time due to all the different ingredients but I now spend 10 minutes measuring them all out into little bowls and place them in order of inclusion, saves so much pissing around once the stove goes on, looks the part too:) I like cooking anyway, so it's been great to have a go with this, might try samosas next.
You might like to have a look at "The Curry Guy", a book by Dan Toombs. You can get for around £6 if you shop around. It's is essentially restaurant curries created at home so it is different to the vast majority of Indian cookbooks. I love cooking curries from scratch but occasionally want that authentic restaurant taste at home. If you like cookbooks as well as YouTube I think you'll like this one.
By the way do you use gram flour for the bhajis?

You might like to have a look at "The Curry Guy", a book by Dan Toombs. You can get for around £6 if you shop around. It's is essentially restaurant curries created at home so it is different to the vast majority of Indian cookbooks. I love cooking curries from scratch but occasionally want that authentic restaurant taste at home. If you like cookbooks as well as YouTube I think you'll like this one.
By the way do you use gram flour for the bhajis?

Thanks Dr, I actually like the videos, got tons of cookbooks in the house but can't say I've looked at any for ages, maybe I'll stick the Curry Guy on my Christmas list, it will mean less socks.
Yes I do use gram flour, so far my mix has seemed a little too wet but I've just added a little more flour to dry it, hasn't resulted in stodginess. The video I use advises also using a little rice flour for crispiness, haven't got any of that yet but used a little cornflour.

Thanks Dr, I actually like the videos, got tons of cookbooks in the house but can't say I've looked at any for ages, maybe I'll stick the Curry Guy on my Christmas list, it will mean less socks.
Yes I do use gram flour, so far my mix has seemed a little too wet but I've just added a little more flour to dry it, hasn't resulted in stodginess. The video I use advises also using a little rice flour for crispiness, haven't got any of that yet but used a little cornflour.
Cheers for the tips, I haven't done bhajis in years. Looking in back IIRC I think the recipe called for bicarb which lent a strange taste.
I am a cookbook fiend, I read them in bed for goodness sake!
I imagine you already know this but worth reiterating for any who don't; make sure the oil temperature is hot enough. I have a cooks thermometer probe thingy which I rest over the side of whatever I am frying the oil in and it is surprising how quickly the temperature drops when you put food in.

I've posted about this previously, but if you like hot curry, I don't think you'll find hotter than this in a supermarket:

393702011_0_640x640.jpg

I don't know if it varies (I've only had it once) but it was by a country mile, the hottest thing I've ever eaten outside a restaurant. I eat vindaloo and jalfrezi and other hot curries all the time, but I could barely eat this. It is SERIOUSLY hot.
@Chippy_boy. Is this you? lol.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.