Real Madrid (A) Post Match Thread

If Walker had stayed on fit we wouldn’t have lost, defensive injuries have cost us big time. Cancelo is half the player at right back and we miss Kyle’s pace and ability to chase down defenders.

Btw, I’m gutted but not going to slag anyone off, we gave our all and 9 times out of 10 we go through with performances like that. It’s a Cup competition and luck is an element.

You simply cannot concede 6 goals to any team in the Champions Lge and expect to go through. At 2-0 up in the first leg we should have shut the game down and controlled it like we did for 90 minutes tonight. But having said that, we were desperately unlucky to concede those 2 goals in injury time tonight. Too many players looked scared of it in the second half. Only Silva really stood out as a believer.

I've run those final minutes of normal time over in my head a dozen times and I don't think there's anything specific to pin the blame on. It just happens sometimes. That's the Champions League, that's football.

As I've seen someone say on Twitter, "Sometimes you 93:20 another team, sometimes another team 93:20s you". As much as humans like to look for patterns in things and like to try and explain the unexplainable, there really is no way to answer all the questions that nights like tonight bring up.

As our old friend Bobby Manc used to say, "This is football". Nights like tonight are why we love football so much, as much as it hurts when you're on the receiving end of its ability to produce unrivalled drama. I just hope the lads can get themselves ready for Sunday, dust themselves down, and get back on with the title race.

But even if we falter from here and end up completely potless, City will still be here tomorrow and we'll still be a joy to watch. Going trophyless is below expectations but it's not a crisis. We went without a trophy in 2013, 2015 and 2017, and if we go without winning anything in 2022 then we'll be fine. We'll just pick it up and start again.
Superb post! I was trying to find the words to sum up my feelings but you’ve done it perfectly.

Before I log off and detox from footy for a while I just want to say. The Referee was NOT to blame for the result guys, seriously we were five mins away from the Final.

Pep was NOT directly to blame for the loss but he WAS indirectly.

I say this because of his persistence to rely on certain players that are not good enough!

Honestly I'm so tired of the same players making the same mistakes over and over again.

How many times have we seen Cancelo play needless balls and risky passes or being overly flashy? Flicks and tricks and all sorts? He is not a defender, he's a 7 aside beachsoccer player. Crossing the ball to 5'10 strikers in the box on 85mins! Gosh!

Ederson, seriously guys it's getting unbearable are we seriously going to put up with this guy claiming hes a keeper??? Mahrez has scored a F*****G worldie, one touch Top bins strike, Courtois had no chance. Ederson can't even claim a tame cross, he was waiting for the ball to magically jump into his hands!!!! it's so easy to score against him, that's unacceptable and inexcusable, it's happened too many times from Ederson, either we find an actual keeper or hes going to keep letting us down.

I didn't see the other goals, I will after I've calmed down, but i hear Laporte was at fault.

Last Season guys, look at the bond between Dias and Stones, the camaraderie, they enjoyed playing together the had chemistry, I know Stones was injured recently but Pep has broke up that partnership and it's made us weaker and for what?? Laporte is off to Barca in the summer!

I just feel bad for Bernie and Rodri, Bernie would have won 2 MOTM awards for both legs, he's not even guaranteed to stay this summer, I can see him wanting to go, utterly speechless atm.

This result will haunt all our club, our players and manager for years.

We lost to a shockingly average Madrid despite leading 5-3 in the 90th minute. The players froze, the substitutions robbed us of any cutting edge. Once Madrid made it 5-5 we were absolutely gone. All extra time did was make sure Liverpool win the league.
I ma not sure about the club, but Pep is fucked and he knows that I am sure. The string of debacles he's been experiencing in the CL with Bayern and us is astonishing, but tonight's game topped it all. He created a team that will always beat itself given a chance. Call it a character, mora fiber, doggedness, this team of 2021/2022 just doesn't have it. They collapsed every time they've been pushed in league and cups. Did Pep coached them into automatons unable to reach deep within themselves for that 'something' when needed? I just know this tonight hasn't been bad luck!

Shipping two goals in the 90th minute of a European semi final has got absolutely nothing to do with luck, and everything to do with a weak, bottle job mentality that cuts right through the club - in this competition anyway.
I honestly don't think we bottled this one. It was nothing like the Chelsea and Lyon matches. I am not saying we didn't make mistakes but the Walker injury cost us and their second goal was a fluke. It was a perfect game till the 90th minute.
Perhaps when the dust settles things will look different. I do accept your broad point though that we are not as mentally strong as we should be. I was more unhappy about our performance in extra time than Real's two goals in a minute. One key difference between us and Liverpool is they are better at coming back off the ropes. Perhaps it is a Klopp thing. I don't know. We can be ruthless but we are not over-emotional and sometimes that can work against us. Sometimes matches are settled by pure emotion, like 93.20.

I agree it wasn't about losing it in the first leg, but I don't believe we bottled it either. They got lucky, their 2nd goal was a total fluke. It happens. A lot of people talk about not putting chances away, but they didn't have a shot on target for 90- minutes. EVERY team misses chances, and it wasn't one of those games that looked like we needed to se it out. They scabbed it, simple as.
Stop taking sense
Real couldn’t believe they were still in the tie after the first leg, thought we bossed them this evening until they brought the kid on who had been rested against our defence who have played all the games lately.We had no fit fullbacks for first leg a patch up Kyle for this evening and Ake, although on the bench was only there for a last resort
They got lucky and they know it

I'm talking bigger picture than tonight. We have an excellent team and manager. We lost a tie that we should have won and that exposed our weaknesses but we have many more strengths than weaknesses. Let's hope the club addresses at least some of the weaknesses in the summer so that we are even stronger next season.
The club havent addressed our weaknesses in 4/5 years!
Left back… (nuff said)
A 37 year old fernandinho ( total legend but …37)
no striker for effectively 3 years

its fuckin negligent

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.