Red Card for Glen Johnson?!?!?!

Vic said:
bluecroi said:
It was potentially dangerous but he was at the ball first. Clearly there first.
Only got there first because he launched himself feet first off the ground and hit the ball with his studs. Clear RC offence.

Kompany reached the ball first too and played it with his right instep...Johnson hits the ball with both feet studs up...catch a standing leg like that and it snaps...terrible tackle regardless of comparison...red every day of the week based on the current precedent set.

Kompany wins the ball one footed, doesn't touch the man. Sent off

Johnson lunges off the ground two footed, takes man and ball two footed. Not even a foul.

As if steralising football in general wasn't turning me off the game, this complete inconsistency of referee's and how they 'interprit the laws' of the game is farcical.

You shouldn't need to interprit laws, there should be no grey areas.

what's the betting that the next time a blackburn or fulham player, for example, puts in a tackle like this he'll get a red card. but when a sky 4 player does it there won't even be a free kick given, as we saw last night.

but of course there's no agenda, favouritism or double standards.

Referee interpretation , incompetence or bias whatever it shouldn't matter.

If the FA are serious about applying consistency they will have a review panel that will impose a retrospective 3 match penalty and be able to look at those incidents irrespective of what the ref did or didn't do at the time and act accordingly.

Admittedly the offending player stays on the pitch when perhaps he shouldn't which can also be addressed during the game if the current laws are to be inforced more consistently but consistency is the name of the game.

At the moment you get the same penalty no matter the force of contact , no matter the nature of the foul in terms of how dangerous , reckless or negligent play it was but that's a debate for another day.

GStar said:

Johnson lunges off the ground two footed, takes man and ball two footed. Not even a foul.

As if steralising football in general wasn't turning me off the game, this complete inconsistency of referee's and how they 'interprit the laws' of the game is farcical.

The thing that REALLY irritates me is that there is no mechanism to right these injustices.

We should not expect referees to get it right every time. They are human (honestly, they are) and can make mistakes, not see things or be biased or corrupt. This is a fact of life.

The FA should understand this and make accommodation for it. They should be able to look at video evidence and decide in the cold light of day that the ref got it wrong and should be able to take appropriate action.

Not this "the referee saw it and decided not to act and therefore we won't do anything" utter bullshit. Then we have refs lying after the event about having not seen things that they patently did see, or the other way around.

Refs should be accountable. Honest mistakes are understandable, but corrected. And blatant disregard for the rules by a ref should have the ref subject to some system of sanctions.

Marginally worse than VK's but whilst the inconsistency is frustrating I find it difficult to be outraged by the decision considering it is the decision we wanted for VK.

Lancet Fluke said:
Marginally worse than VK's but whilst the inconsistency is frustrating I find it difficult to be outraged by the decision considering it is the decision we wanted for VK.

Fair point actually. But I don't think it was "marginally worse". It was a potential career-ending challenge in a way that VK's could never have been.

One thing that would resolve all this is for are refs to just be honest, and maybe get some balls.And not give in to pressure from the likes of rooney,he wasn't even going to give a free kick against kompany until rooney ran at him. I can't believe the way he hasn't been criticised for that.

Glen Johnson will be reported to the FA at 9am this morning.

Upon a failure of referee Lee Mason not including it in his match report, they will subsequently ask him to explain why and his reasons for it.

The FA's independent disciplinary committee will then assess retrospective action.

All courtesy of your neighbourhood Tolmie's Hairdoo.

GStar said:

Unfortunately incidents in football are not always black and white. It's when the FA or FIFA try to dumb down the rulings to take away the referees interpretation that we get farcical decisions. I get your point entirely but we need consistency of interpretation not FA or FIFA dictats. Following Sunday's debacle people and pundits have been saying that a two footed challenge is now outlawed, hence Vinnies Red, but obviously whether there is a risk to one of the players should be considered. We need more referees that have played the game, not necessarily to a high standard, but people who know what is dangerous play and what is not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.