Ref Watch City Games - 2023/24

The more football I watch the more I honestly believe that linesmen (assistant referees if you want) have a far more difficult job than referees and actually do it a lot better. Reds need to look at incidents - is it a foul, is it handball, is it a yellow card etc - but the linesmen are having to judge on fast moving players IN RELATION TO each other; if you have ever run a line you’ll know how difficult that is and the number of time I watch a game in real time and think that’s offside and it isn’t, or that’s not offside but it is, is a lot, but the linos usually get it right. 2 cars travelling towards each other at 70mph are doing a combined 140 mph, same principle for 2 professional footballers (not Jonny Evans though). Clearly refs have more decisions to make but linesmen generally have the tougher calls and make less big mistakes

The more football I watch the more I honestly believe that linesmen (assistant referees if you want) have a far more difficult job than referees and actually do it a lot better. Reds need to look at incidents - is it a foul, is it handball, is it a yellow card etc - but the linesmen are having to judge on fast moving players IN RELATION TO each other; if you have ever run a line you’ll know how difficult that is and the number of time I watch a game in real time and think that’s offside and it isn’t, or that’s not offside but it is, is a lot, but the linos usually get it right. 2 cars travelling towards each other at 70mph are doing a combined 140 mph, same principle for 2 professional footballers (not Jonny Evans though). Clearly refs have more decisions to make but linesmen generally have the tougher calls and make less big mistakes
I called the first 'un offside and thought, when the ball went in, WTF is the lino doing, and then I realised with the sarcastic cheers he'd raised his flag, but still VAR has a look to see if they can wangle it. I thought the same thing with their second goal that the crosser was two yards off, not the scorer.

Pawson probably had the best game for a ref so far this season, I thought, but then the bar isn't particularly high. Mind, there was no shithousery from Bournemouth as there was last week at The Swamp and the week before with Brighton.

I've come to the conclusion that refs just don't want to make a decision that involves any element of judgement on their part, so fouls and pens go begging - just ask Sean Dyche!

And whilst I'm in expansive mood I thought I'd share an idea that came to me when I was watching Nederlands v Afghanistan cricket. There were two stunning run outs and I thought wouldn't it be fantastic if, when we score a goal, the posts 'n crossbar just lit up like the wickets instead of a buzz on the ref's wrist. As soon as Bernie had chipped the haircut-challenged Bournemouth keeper we could have had a fireworks display!

Last edited:
Other than ignoring persistant fouling during the first half hour this week's muppet wasn't too bad but after that dazzling spell of 3 goals in 7 minutes he didn't really have much to do. The two offside decisions for the Boremuff goals (one given, one not) took far too long to decide. Not even really that close for either of them as the lines (when they drew them didn't even intersect).

Amazingly on Ref Watch today all three agreed that Akanji should have had a penalty for the holding offence at the corner after a couple of minutes on Saturday.
It was a stonewaller and Pawson had only just finished cautioning the players before the corner was taken,then ignored the offence

Amazingly on Ref Watch today all three agreed that Akanji should have had a penalty for the holding offence at the corner after a couple of minutes on Saturday.
It was a ridiculous none decision that, somebody tried to tell me it wasn't given because Akanji was nowhere near the ball, not surprisingly since he was being held, and pulled to the floor.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.