Ref Watch City Games - 2023/24

Have I stumbled onto RAWK?

Get a grip, there is no conspiracy the referees just make mistakes.
At the risk of repeating myself. If it was a mistake (which it possibley was), then all they have to do is issue a statement from Hooper saying what the mistake he made was, so was it

- He didn't see Grealish
- He thought the ball got away from Grealish
- He thought Grealish was offside but forgot the linesman should call that
- He couldn't see what lay ahead due to players blocking line of site.
- It was one of the above and he should have played on and called back play but didn't

There may be a handful of other scenarios but there really can't be that many more. Either way, it really isn't complicated to give an answer. Even in a split second decision (which people are defending him with), referees are instructed to give playing on the benefit of the doubt and let VAR mop up any errors.

All in all, there should be no reason why he can't say the reason. By not doing so implies guilt or complete and utter incompetence

I’m not missing the point, you’re focussing on the wrong bit. Like I’ve said several times him waiving play on does not mean his decision has been made. He can still employ wait and see if the advantage doesn’t materialise in the immediate next phase.

If that pass from Haaland goes straight to a spurs player, he can still choose to bring it back too. It's always been a referees choice - some don’t play advantage hardly ever, some allow the wait and see to go longer than others. What he can’t do is allow play to continue past that next phase and then bring it back, (as in until Grealish gets the shot away or gets tackled for example).
Enjoy your evening

Just watched the regular 'Ref Watch' spot on SSN with dermot gallagher. He said a bunch of stuff, basically along the lines off. 'the poor referee made a mistake, he will be judged for a split second decision, everyone makes mistakes etc.'

Two interesting takes for me though were;

1. He couldn't explain as an ex referee why hooper chose to blow at that point.

2. He said what's surprised him the most is that out of all the PL referees, Hooper is the one that always plays the advantage. He couldn't understand why he didn't in this case
For some reason that just reminded me of how a very experienced linesman was overuled to give the offside goal that United got against City.

As much as you want to say it, and as bad as it was, that single decision will not affect the season outcome. The result yesterday had already been affected by that point, because the biggest thing that affected the result yesterday, was some very poor defending by Doku and Gvardiol, and some shite finishing from Haaland, and Rodri. Improve either of those, and he probably doesn't make that "mistake" because he doesn't feel the need to.
I agree we should’ve shut the shop early on with those missed chances but the question , was there enough time on the clock for us to score or not ? was there any advantage? yes jack still had to put that ball behind the net but the probability was high if you look at jack’s position , he was about 5 ft ahead of thier defenders at the moment he blew it .Jack with wind on his sail after his goal would’ve been 1 on 1 .
I don’t think its fair to point “ mistake “ at our players but not the ref .

That decision has already been explained and VAR couldn't determine with 4 different angles if it was a handball This season it would have been a clear Not Handball as the law changed When looking at it Everton didn't gain any disadvantage it didn't stop a goal Rodri wasn't being challenged There was also talk that there was a possible offside that would have been looked at if VAR determined he had committed an offence
The power of the media. One decision over the course of a season. Yet it was highlighted by the media to get attention. It's like a magician distracting the audience with one hand while the trick is managed with the other.

Hearing how pathetic some of the blues on this thread are is it any wonder the atmosphere has been poor this season at the Etihad. Has winning the treble made some weak minded, lost the hunger for the fight or care much less about City

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.