Ref Watch City Games - 2023/24

TBF there are plenty of examples of refs going to play advantage seeing the pass fuck up and calling it back for a free kick. What you won't find many off if any are examples of refs playing the advantage, signaling advantage watching the pass define a goal scoring opportunity i.e. best fucking advantage in football and then calling it back for a free kick.
Hello @hello. There is a difference in opinion between @meltonblue and me about how advantage should be applied.

My interpretation is that the referee has a short assessment period of a few seconds to see if an advantage might arise. Play continues during this phase. Following this period of allowing play to develop, the referee can either call back play and give the original free kick, or he can apply the advantage. Either of these choices is the final decision, and the referee is not allowed to give the free kick after he has played the advantage. Advantage is signalled by the referee raising one or both arms in a forward direction of the attaching team.

The alternative view is that the referee can play advantage using the above signal, and then if the advantage doesn't work out, he can go back and give the original free kick.

Both these interpretations are based on the current Laws of the Game, and we're waiting to see the reality from some upcoming games.

Hello @hello. There is a difference in opinion between @meltonblue and me about how advantage should be applied.

My interpretation is that the referee has a short assessment period of a few seconds to see if an advantage might arise. Play continues during this phase. Following this period of allowing play to develop, the referee can either call back play and give the original free kick, or he can apply the advantage. Either of these choices is the final decision, and the referee is not allowed to give the free kick after he has played the advantage. Advantage is signalled by the referee raising one or both arms in a forward direction of the attaching team.

The alternative view is that the referee can play advantage using the above signal, and then if the advantage doesn't work out, he can go back and give the original free kick.

Both these interpretations are based on the current Laws of the Game, and we're waiting to see the reality from some upcoming games.

Worth adding to that as I’ve said before, the guidance on whether to signal or not before the advantage accrues differs at different levels of referees too and you’ll find still used more prevalently in older refs.

The reason they do it is to acknowledge to the players they’ve seen the foul while allowing the advantage to accrue.

One thing I did think as well watching it back, I’m pretty certain he didn’t shout for advantage either, it was just the one arm signal.

My argument with the Haaland one is if that was him giving advantage that early, Haaland at that point was in possession but running away from goal. It would have been way too early in the move for him to have made that final decision.

No im not, as it wasnt overhit it shouldn't have been pulled back!!

No one has said it should have been! That wasn’t what was being argued at all. If you think he should have pulled the play back if it was overhit, then you’re agreeing with me.

In which case, like I said, he’d have been marked down for giving an appalling advantage and not waiting to see if that advantage had actually accrued.

Your idea of what he should have done actually would have been him not following the current laws.

Haaland getting up and retaining possession running away from goal isn’t an advantage, nine times out of ten the free kick is the better option for the attacking team. It’s what he does next that determines whether it’s an advantage or not.
Good example if the advantage being played and the ref bringing it back for a foul in our game just then on Bernardo. 38 mins in or so.

Example in the villa game around 40 min mark. Signaled advantage there wasn’t one, brought it back for city free kick. Villa bitched n moaned a bit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.