Ref Watch

Was you running backwards and jumping while looking at a ball moving through the air then stretching every sinue in your body to reach said ball?

I'm going to guess the answer to that is no, so your 180 spin in these circumstances is I'm afraid of no use
Don't worry, ive change my mind, and now accept that the laws kinematics and angular momentum don't apply in this specific case. Sorry for arguing so long!

Really? So if the VAR ref has 2 angles of an incident, one angle shows a potential foul & the other shows it probably wasn’t, the VAR ref gets to choose what images the on pitch ref sees?

That doesn’t sound plausible, so can you verify how you know this to be true please mate as it sounds like you’re saying the VAR ref is making the decisions instead of the in field ref?

The VAR has multiple angles on most things. He must be given access to all the host broadcasters cameras. And they also have their own. If in your example he has just two images which appear to offer opposite conclusions he’s unlikely to suggest an onfiejd review.

If he gets to the stage where after viewing all angles he’s telling the referee to review an incident, he is convinced the referee has made a mistake. He’ll then start off by showing the referee what he thinks is the most conclusive angle that proves this. He’ll then ask the referee if he wants alternate angles or he’s happy with what he’s seen?

There’s numerous clips on YouTube from various leagues around the world showing this protocol in action. America and Australia. Also the little bit of audio we’ve heard from our league so far seems to be in line with that.

I’ll be honest, I don’t have the energy or inclination to compile video evidence of the various similar handballs that have not been given in the league and cups by the same officiating teams, but I am absolutely sure there have been many. We have discussed them ad nauseam. Pundits and journalists are discussing the inconsistency in the wake of the Grealish handball.

I am sure if you scoured the pages of this and the VAR thread you could even find me posting about them as they happened, as I have tried to do the second half of the season to build a body of evidence of the inconsistency (at best) of officiating in England.

I suppose, if I am able to be as active next season, I will implement a tagging system to mark my entries of these incidents for easy compilation later for our debates.

Should I also tag you in to each for your reference?

To be honest I don’t really understand how this tagging you in thing even works? Other than if I happen to see a post where someone has done it your name is in blue. So you’d probably be wasting your time.

Not sure if I was clear though but my point wasn’t about inconsistencies in general but specifically about cases where the ball hits a players hand when it is up near or above head height. My memory isn’t great but I genuinely can’t recall one like that not being given. Totally happy to be proved wrong though if I’ve just forgotten or not seen ones that haven’t.

Right but referees always will be inconsistent with their application of a lot of the laws, if they’re inconsistent in the same game purely driven by which team it is then that’s clearly wrong.

Darren England gave Cancelo a red card and awarded a penalty on a Saturday earlier in the season… on the Sunday Alexander Arnold pretty much did the same thing at Spurs - England was on VAR and decided it wasn’t a red card nor a penalty - it’s crass inconsistency and indicates a level of corruption.

The VAR has multiple angles on most things. He must be given access to all the host broadcasters cameras. And they also have their own. If in your example he has just two images which appear to offer opposite conclusions he’s unlikely to suggest an onfiejd review.

If he gets to the stage where after viewing all angles he’s telling the referee to review an incident, he is convinced the referee has made a mistake. He’ll then start off by showing the referee what he thinks is the most conclusive angle that proves this. He’ll then ask the referee if he wants alternate angles or he’s happy with what he’s seen?

There’s numerous clips on YouTube from various leagues around the world showing this protocol in action. America and Australia. Also the little bit of audio we’ve heard from our league so far seems to be in line with that.
Wow. Well that seems like procedure which needs to be corrected

Right but referees always will be inconsistent with their application of a lot of the laws, if they’re inconsistent in the same game purely driven by which team it is then that’s clearly wrong.
Which is fine if they are consitently inconsistent but just look at the games against the rags this year (rashford and the 3 incidents over the weekend). All decisions in their favour. All incorrect. If they were just shit, they’d be shit for both teams and not all in favour of 1 team who play in red all the time

2 of those incidents had VAR involvement which clearly showed what the correct call should be. The technology worked. The other 2 incidents should have gone to VAR. The issue and common denominator is bent officials. Its the only logical explanation

Last edited:
1st one looked like a foul on casemiro in real time. Var needed to intervene but didn't

2nd one wasn't enough for a penalty

3rd one, I think you need to watch the game again, he was fair throughout the match, He got a few of ours wrong and a few of theirs wrong

4th yes he could do that but how many times have you seen that happen in the last year

5th absolute bollocks
1st no it didn't
2nd yes it was
3rd absolute bollocks
4th absolute bollocks incase missed 3rd
5Th, can't remember what your moaning about but whatever your saying is absolute bollocks, I disagree
6th....absolute bollocks just for the sake of it, ...............

I’ve watched the game back and I only really have a problem with four decisions all game.

One was a potential result changing penalty that should never have been given. I get that his hand was high but it was in a natural position for his body action and it was in very close proximity. I would even get it more if the handball action stopped it going in or going towards a United player for a goalscoring chance, but City had it well covered.

I don’t think any of the others were penalties for us. I don’t think Fred fouled de Bruyne, Fred looked to have moved into Kev but after seeing it about ten times now (I kept rewinding it and playing it back this evening) I think there was no real contact at all and Kev just falls over (you can tell when the player falls/dives because they go ‘Oah’ and pull a certain kind of face). The hand ball from Foden and Wan Bissaka, no chance, his arm was by his side.

I thought Bernardo should have been booked for his kick/trip on Shaw and I don’t think Wan Bissaka should have been booked on the slide three foot in front of Grelslih who dived and feigned injury which I was disappointed to see because I hate that when it’s my own player.

However, Casimeiro should have been booked for the challenge on Akanji yet the ref gave them a free kick.

Other than that, I actually think Tierney had a decent game, spoilt by Coote on VAR, but also Tierney should have taken a few more looks at that penalty he awarded and taken all the things I said into his thought process (I think he’s just seen his hand above the shoulder and thought ‘oh I think it’s a penalty’, without thinking it through properly because of the size of the occasion putting pressure on him… but that should be Coote for me not even considering it from the VAR booth and putting Tierney in that position).

Its as clear a penalty as you’ll ever see….
That Tierney would have given in a heartbeat if that was Rodri on Fish Fingers, and VAR would have (rightly) had no involvement thereafter.

It’s their tried and tested method, don’t give it and it’s not clear and obvious - but to me that challenge was a clear penalty, very similar to the one Partey got away with.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.