Ref Watch

This is an extract from The Laws of the Game:

"A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences:
- a handball offence (except for the goalkeeper within their penalty area)
- holds an opponent
- impedes an opponent with contact"

Added to this, a foul becomes a penalty when a defender commits one of these offences against an opponent in the defender's penalty area.

Other guidelines are being applied though, when considering when a penalty should be awarded. Mike Riley said the following before the 2021-22 season, and these guidelines haven't been revoked. Articles at the time said this.

So, a higher threshold is to be applied for awarding a penalty since 2021.

The introduction to this season's amendments to the LOTG includes the following:

So we have gone from a higher threshold in 2021 to an even higher threshold in 2023. The question is, where was Stuart Attwell when the PGMOL briefings were given?

The three pictures below are from this weekend's games.

United. Was there contact between the Forest player and Rashford? Maybe. If there was, it was minimal. Did it meet the higher threshold? Definitely not. Referring to Mike Riley's briefing, has the player used that contact to actually try and win a foul penalty? Most assuredly yes.

Aston Villa. Was there contact between the Burnley player and the Villa player? Yes. Did it meet the higher threshold? Yes, it is a clear foul to put the attacker off as he was preparing to shoot. This wasn't even looked at by VAR to my knowledge.

City (this is an example of contact that happens in every game). Was there contact between the Sheffield United player and Haaland? Yes. Did it meet the higher threshold? Yes, it is a clear foul to impede the attacker, regardless of where the ball is.

So, if the Rashford incident constituted a penalty, with minimal contact, under the Laws of the Game, every single time a defender holds an opponent while the ball is in play should result in a penalty, regardless of where the ball is or the outcome of the sequence of play (unless a goal is scored).
ad97674894c5d79bb266e1ac650da721.jpg
95d3b93d11f6bc8f4df4d0dc21cc42c3.jpg
210b1b28e1e618fae4a30be790ce7b63.jpg
You also missed Varane pushing a Forrest player in the back with both hands. Not surprisingly no pen or VAR review was forthcoming!!

Good on them. More clubs need to do this on the officiating the Rags get
One apology and One complaint from the 2 Rag home games:

Nottingham Forest have lodged an official complaint with the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) over the performance of the refereeing team in their 3-2 defeat

The referees performance was as good as it gets for us, I have no problems with him yesterday. Coote on VAR is always a recipe for corruption. I wonder how many times this season scum get Twatwell. Both derbies anyone?

The referees performance was as good as it gets for us, I have no problems with him yesterday. Coote on VAR is always a recipe for corruption. I wonder how many times this season scum get Twatwell. Both derbies anyone?
Twatwell at the swamp

Coote at ours with both swapping VAR duties for each game.

Twatwell at his finest today, loves with United any decision he can , a clear Rashford dive,
penalty , and that red card- well where do you even start? On MOTD it just said Forest are considering put in an official complaint, I don’t blame them. Does anyone for one second think Forest would have been given those decisions if they were forest players? The blatant corruption in these decisions is so obvious now,
Onana says "Thank fuck it was Old Toilet"

Nottingham Forest are considering whether to lodge an official complaint with the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) over the performance of the refereeing team

Forest boss Steve Cooper said he needed to "bite his tongue" over what he really felt about referee Stuart Attwell and his colleagues.

However, it is understood Forest officials left Old Trafford seething over various decisions they felt were pivotal in deciding the game's outcome.

After Saturday's game, which Forest led 2-0 after four minutes, Cooper said: "In games like this you need things to be how they should. I am not going to talk too much as I don't want to get into trouble but I was surprised how quickly the decisions were made.

I hope they do, managers and clubs inc us have to start calling it out more and getting it into the public domain. It’s got worse since Webb took over and Attwell should not officiate another Rag game
Attwell should never offiiate another game where the players are over 13......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.