Ref Watch

Guys the 6 second rule went about 10 years ago. They just have to release the ball "in a reasonable time".

The thing that gets me is that the Villa keeper actually left his box at least 3 times when clearing the ball and no one seemed to notice it at all.
I've been banging on about this for years. Many goalkeepers are out of the penalty box when they release the ball. However the linesmen are up near the halfway lines looking for offsides. The Villa goalkeeper was particularly good at this tactic. In all honestly if this had been noticed by the officials then we would have had at least 3 free kicks on the edge of the box. (Not that they would have resulted in anything!!).

The linesman’s correct position would be up level with the last defender, so he wouldn’t normally be in a position to call it, if they’ve all pushed up for a long punt. And it’s not something VAR could get involved in.

What has happened if the officials suspect he’s pushing it is the liner will drop back for one. Obviously the ‘keeper unless he’s completely stupid, will notice that and make sure he’s ok for that one. But it would probably put it in his head that they’re on to him and make him more careful from then on.
When I was a linesman / assistant referee, one of my responsibilities was to check for handball from a goalkeeper's kick from his or her hands. We would position ourselves on the 18 yard line, then sprint to the defensive line after the kick. This practice is almost redundant today, largely due to Pep.

Guys the 6 second rule went about 10 years ago. They just have to release the ball "in a reasonable time".

The thing that gets me is that the Villa keeper actually left his box at least 3 times when clearing the ball and no one seemed to notice it at all.
I was on the front row in the second tier and it was so, so obvious. The linesman, sorry, assistant referee, down below us was shocking on Saturday.

No mate I noticed it.

We were sat along the 18 yd line in second half, and as you say I counted three times.
The issue is Premier league rules seem different as it happens often and is never penalised.
In the same way as Premier league players encroach the field of play before they release a throw in and it is never an offence.
Players can take free kicks over 10 yds from where an offence occurs.

But worse I think is that referees cannot count to ten when setting up a distance for free kicks. 9 small steps do not equal 10 yes.

He was outside his box on almost every long clearance and it happened in the lead up to their goal. Would have been some fun if VAR had checked that.

Gallagher on ref watch for the disallowed Newcastle goal said var must have been concentrating on the palace player making contact with the goalie, the push was about 0.1 of a second before it!!!!

When I was a linesman / assistant referee, one of my responsibilities was to check for handball from a goalkeeper's kick from his or her hands. We would position ourselves on the 18 yard line, then sprint to the defensive line after the kick. This practice is almost redundant today, largely due to Pep.
Yes I actually remember them doing that and like you say not seen it in a long time, not seen them racing towards the half way line with their flag up after a goal in a while either (although can’t say I’ve been looking at them too often, so maybe they do ?)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.