Ref Watch

This is another aspect to this that is not being talked about.

We knew immediately that Rashford was obviously offside by virtue of watching on TV but Akanji, Walker, and Ederson didn’t know for sure. Which means everything they did whilst play continued had to be based on the assumption he was onside, because if he was, and the went in for a challenge based on the way Rashford was shielding the ball, they could give away a penalty and/or be sent off.

Only people that have never actually played football will think Rashford isn’t influencing (obstructing) the play of the defenders and keeper in that situation.

All of the uncertainty and risk was with the defenders in that scenario, meaning allowing that sort of offside play further disadvantages the defending team (who is already inherently disadvantaged).
Close thread…..also anyone criticising our lads, just think about the split second mental gymnastics, I thought they played the situation correct, the officials have shafted them which ever way you look at it

I couldn’t disagree more.

The moment Rashford goes towards the ball he is impacting the decision making of our defenders and goalkeeper. I mean his run gets him within 30 cm of the ball, he practically shields it towards Fernandes.

How a linesman doesn’t flag for a player who is three yards offside running towards the ball is beyond me.
The linesman did flag but the referee must have overruled him.

Absolutely agree that he impacts the decision making.....said it countless times....but thats not in the rules...the rule(s) is about physically trying to play the ball (or actually playing it) - which rashford doesnt...nor does he impede anyone physically...both defenders could have made a tackle (and if you look at the rules if the defender had tried to takcle Rasford and fouled him...it would have been given offside (if Fernandes hadnt scored) as the offside had occured first...if fernardes scores its still a goal (s long as Rasford doesnt touch the ball at any point0

The linesman did flag offside...the ref changed the decision

Sorry but I don't understand this perspective.

The rule says 'impacting the ability of a defender to play the ball'

How is the defender's decision-making not literally the most fundamental part of their 'ability to play the ball'? You can't disentangle somebody's ability to play the ball from their mental process that leads to them playing the ball... that distinction seems bizarre and isn't stated explicitly anywhere in the actual law.

It was the usual Atwell City performance. Gave them everything all day inc the non foul for us right outside the box in the 1st half then changing his mind and giving them a free kick in the 1st half when the Rag went down/ Let them foul all game long without hardly a card (that left back must have made 5-6 fouls on Mahrez alone) until the usual dish them out late to pad the stats from the 82nd minute.
As for Oliver we all know he is a cheat.
I wish Pep would call it for what it is at times, not just the little digs

This is another aspect to this that is not being talked about.

We knew immediately that Rashford was obviously offside by virtue of watching on TV but Akanji, Walker, and Ederson didn’t know for sure. Which means everything they did whilst play continued had to be based on the assumption he was onside, because if he was, and the went in for a challenge based on the way Rashford was shielding the ball, they could give away a penalty and/or be sent off.

Only people that have never actually played football will think Rashford isn’t influencing (obstructing) the play of the defenders and keeper in that situation.

All of the uncertainty and risk was with the defenders in that scenario, meaning allowing that sort of offside play further disadvantages the defending team (who is already inherently disadvantaged).
Another thing that confirm it for me is that if Akanji, Walker or Ederson had gone on to foul Rashford, would they have been booked or sent off given that Rashford WAS offside?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.