Ref Watch

I watch rugby as well so my view on var is that it should be implemented like tmo in rugby union.

Anyway. I have a question. How does advantages work in football. It feels like it's just a play on as I've never seen a ref bring play back if there was no advantage to be had he just sticks his arm out? And the time required to use that advantage seems to be like 2 seconds.

Rugby advantage lasts a few mins (there are more stoppages in rugby but essentially if the team with advantage loses the ball play is brought back)

There isn't really a clear rule for it, as it's ref's call in most cases. In the last weeks, I've seen it called back if the ball is lost quickly and sometimes it isn't.
It tends to depend on retention of the ball, closeness to the opponent's goal, any advantage in numbers of attack vs defence.

It may depend on why the ball is subsequently lost - e.g. if a bad pass goes out of play, it's not to do with the offence, and shouldn't necessarily be pulled back. It won't be called back after more than 2-3 seconds.
The only thing in the laws is about applying bookings after advantage, and advice not to play advantage for a sending-off offence (2nd yellow, violent conduct, serious foul play - note, not for denial of goal-scoring opportunity).

Rugby advantage is very different depending on if it's a knock-on or penalty. A knock-on advantage will often ended very quickly, pretty much as soon as they've advanced downfield - that's the closest to a football advantage.
A rugby penalty advantage is the one that lasts much longer and tends to equate to a free play - there's no comparison between a penalty advantage in rugby and any advantage in football.

Absolutely clueless again today. 3 minutes injury time in the first half? Every week we are being cheated by time not being added in and our play constantly being broken up by time wasting
Totally bottled giving a Red Card for the foul on Gundogan. Anyone who has played the game at any lever knows full well that there was ZERO intent to play the ball and EVERY intent to 'leave one on' the player.

Anyone know why we have had Atwell and Coote twice each since the restart also Madley three of the worse

What I noticed on the grealish pen incident is that the ref didn't actually make a decision. He didn't wave his arms to say no penalty I don't think he even pointed for a goal kick
It seems he was using var to ref the incident which its not there to be used like that

These new young referees are bottle
Jobs they don’t want to make a decision especially against us! If that was a team in red he would of put the whistle to his mouth that fast he would of chocked on it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.