Ref Watch

There isn't really a clear rule for it, as it's ref's call in most cases. In the last weeks, I've seen it called back if the ball is lost quickly and sometimes it isn't.
It tends to depend on retention of the ball, closeness to the opponent's goal, any advantage in numbers of attack vs defence.

It may depend on why the ball is subsequently lost - e.g. if a bad pass goes out of play, it's not to do with the offence, and shouldn't necessarily be pulled back. It won't be called back after more than 2-3 seconds.
The only thing in the laws is about applying bookings after advantage, and advice not to play advantage for a sending-off offence (2nd yellow, violent conduct, serious foul play - note, not for denial of goal-scoring opportunity).

Rugby advantage is very different depending on if it's a knock-on or penalty. A knock-on advantage will often ended very quickly, pretty much as soon as they've advanced downfield - that's the closest to a football advantage.
A rugby penalty advantage is the one that lasts much longer and tends to equate to a free play - there's no comparison between a penalty advantage in rugby and any advantage in football.
Great write up many thanks. helps me understand. Still unsure of some rugby rules so that helps too :)

What I noticed on the grealish pen incident is that the ref didn't actually make a decision. He didn't wave his arms to say no penalty I don't think he even pointed for a goal kick
It seems he was using var to ref the incident which its not there to be used like that
That’s exactly what I said at the time. Shithouse. Referees now think it’s ok to do nothing and hope VAR bails em out. Pathetic on all levels and ultimately it will lead to, or maybe it already has, refereeing by video.

This current batch of referees are the worst there has ever been. Since the retirement of the more senior officials, there's only really Oliver and Marriner who seem capable of keeping a lid on the game.

Coote lost control of that within 15 minutes today and he's lucky the game lost it's competitive edge once we'd scored the first.
Oliver and Marriner are absolute wank and I’d happily never have them again.

Gundo was down for nearly 5 minutes
Seemed like that to me, plus there were various other stoppages in the first 20 mins, including the minute it took him to slowly saunter across to book their manager. We are being cheated out of time every week by clueless/cheating officials (delete as appropriate). We have the worst refs in Europe by miles

Totally bottled giving a Red Card for the foul on Gundogan. Anyone who has played the game at any lever knows full well that there was ZERO intent to play the ball and EVERY intent to 'leave one on' the player.
Yep, if that wasn’t a dangerous challenge which was meant to inflict serious harm on an opponent I really don’t know what is

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.