Ref Watch

Thought he was good last night, although booking Ederson without (I didnt see anyway) a warning was harsh.

Both penalties probably were in the letter of the law, which we all know is bollocks. Having said that I was sure I read somewhere if a ball deflects off another body part ie Akanji's foot onto the arm it wasnt handball but I could be making that up
I thought the Ref was good and would be glad to have him against RM or in the final - but re the penalty given against Akanji - when he went to the monitor the screen was showing the ball hitting the hand and he did not spend more than a couple of seconds before giving the penalty - he would not have seen the ball coming off the foot!!

Fair enough, I did say to my mate he's braindead getting booked in the 44th minute he'd done well winding the crowd up before that just get yourself to half time and carry on again in the second half

I thought it was a good idea that he had a word with the ref when the halftime whistle went, it's the type of thing that I would think a ref appreciates.

No, that has been one explanation as to why a pen wasn't given. Can't remember the details but it rings a bell or two!

The trouble is that the guidelines and rules change so much almost no-one can remember which rules were in force when an incident happened.
There has been a time when a deflection of your own body would negate a penalty, but it isn't in the laws at the moment.

As far as I can tell, the relevant part is this option for handball:
[the player] touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised

I thought the Ref was good and would be glad to have him against RM or in the final - but re the penalty given against Akanji - when he went to the monitor the screen was showing the ball hitting the hand and he did not spend more than a couple of seconds before giving the penalty - he would not have seen the ball coming off the foot!!
There's no mention of deflections now in the laws. The relevant bit simply says

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised
So the ref only really needed to see whether he thought the hand position was natural or whether it had made the body bigger. We can argue all day about whether it was natural or not, but I don't think the VAR analysis needed to be any longer - unlike the muppet last Saturday who took 15 views to make an easier decision.

There's no mention of deflections now in the laws. The relevant bit simply says

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger. A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation. By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised
So the ref only really needed to see whether he thought the hand position was natural or whether it had made the body bigger. We can argue all day about whether it was natural or not, but I don't think the VAR analysis needed to be any longer - unlike the muppet last Saturday who took 15 views to make an easier decision.
Thanks for that helpful clarification - hard to keep up with the current state of the laws.

As I said in an earlier post - the Richards handball against the redscouse would probably now be a valid penalty - although it was not back in 2012

Thanks for that helpful clarification - hard to keep up with the current state of the laws.

As I said in an earlier post - the Richards handball against the redscouse would probably now be a valid penalty - although it was not back in 2012
To me that still reads as it shouldn't have been given (i dont think ours should be either). Akanji was running. The last place your arms are when you’re running is flat by your sides. Thats the most unnatural place. The defection which could have gone anywhere, hit his arm no doubt, but as he was running its perfectly natural for them to be where they were!

Not sure how the hell we have got to this!! Embarrassing all round for the game

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.