Referees’ Performances 2018/19

We're all making excuses for the officials missing the handball and yet those are precisely the types of incidents I expect the top class officials to spot from your average referee on a Sunday morning.

Its picking up these decisions that gets referees credit and yet again they f*cked it up.

The penalty appeal isn't for the trip. Its for the barge into Silva's back that resulted in him tripping himself up. Its a foul anywhere else on the pitch so why not in the penalty area?
Atkinson rarely gives penalties for anything to anyone so its not particularly dubious.

Yep he is consistent on not giving pens to anyone it’s the handball that’s pisses me of.

Just watching MOTD now and our goal came from a free kick that shouldn’t have been given as Sterling dived.

Disagree. Another contrarian trying too hard to be fair minded and unbiased. Definitely a free-kick.
What are you on about? I’m not trying to be anything, never mind too hard. Neves stuck his leg into the ground and Sterling left his leg out and dropped to the floor. I don't think there was any contact at all.

Their goal shouldn’t have stood for hand ball AND offside, our goal shouldn’t have come as the free kick shouldn’t have been given, Silva’s was a penalty and Kun’s wasn’t.

Nowt contrary there, simply using my eyes.

What are you on about? I’m not trying to be anything, never mind too hard. Neves stuck his leg into the ground and Sterling left his leg out and dropped to the floor. I don't think there was any contact at all.

Their goal shouldn’t have stood for hand ball AND offside, our goal shouldn’t have come as the free kick shouldn’t have been given, Silva’s was a penalty and Kun’s wasn’t.

Nowt contrary there, simply using my eyes.
Come now. You can’t have a view that means you’re not head bound in blue goggles.

When I was a lad playing football, it was always a foul to use your hands or arms either to touch the ball (except when it simply hit you) or to grab hold of or block a player. Somewhere down the line it has become acceptable & frequently evades punishment from match officials. As an adult in a 5-a-side game I was just about to shoot (certain goal) when an opponent tugged my arm. Nobody but the 2 of us was aware of it. It completely threw me off balance & the chance was lost.

Now the issue seems to be not whether you held, delayed or blocked an opponent with your upper limbs, but how much of an effect it had on your opponent.

All teams do it. All players do it. So how do you demonstrate to the officials that it has caused you to miss an opportunity to reach/control the ball or make a pass or take a shot on goal. You have to fall over & then you get pilloried.

What surprises me is that the pundits who nearly all played the game as professionals will say "There's not enough in that for me" or "He goes down too easily there". Surely, those who suffered from it would want to expose it.

The shenanigans in the penalty are for a corner are a prime example where a defender goes nose to nose with an attacker with his arms stretched out. Often, as soon as the ball is kicked, the arms wrap round the attacker or one of them is pushed in front of him to help prevent him reaching the ball. Remember when referees were going to clamp down on it & Mike Dean penalised Raheem & gave a penalty in the first game of the season. Nobody else bothered so he didn't do it again. Wasn't it great when these were (sometimes) given as penalties as a result of VAR. Of course, VAR depends on the opinions of those scrutinizing them. So we're back where we started.

Only Sergio knows whether he was sufficiently impeded in the area to prevent him having an attempt on goal & therein lies the problem. How do the officials know. How CAN they know. Consequently, their decisions are guesswork.

The laws of the game state that it is a foul if a player "impedes an opponent with contact". Perhaps it should add "...or deliberately makes contact with an opponent in order to impede him/her". As well as taking some of the guesswork out of decision making for officials, it would give players less incentive to fall over when they've been touched.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.