Referees/Officials

@Chris in London

I can't find the post that Blue Yorkie quoted above to quote you on it.

But wanted to point out that following that penalty against Swansea there was uproar on social media about the number of penalties we get. As you say above we've only got 1 since then. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on here.

It's the same thing as the rags having a sudden upturn in fortune in regards decisions ever since Mourinho's comments about all the poor decisions against them.

I don't think there's any conspiracy or that refs are bent, I believe they're just succumbing to external pressure that is applied by the media.

Was it not Mariner who booked Sergio for lifting the ball over the keeper at Burnley after being given offside? Yet the same thing happened with Son on Saturday and no card was issued
Yes I think it was . I said exactly the same thing on Saturday after it happened.

Another decision I found hard to belive was when he blew for offside in the first half but then allowed the spuds to take the free kick inside our half !!

Another decision I found hard to belive was when he blew for offside in the first half but then allowed the spuds to take the free kick inside our half !!

But the ref was correct. The rules have changed, and the freekick can now be what appears to be the wrong half. It states this explicitly.

I read it as being to do with the chang ein becoming active. Aguero was offside when the ball was kicked (he was in the Spurs half) but ran back to challenge, thus becoming active. The freekick is taken at the point of becoming active, not where the player was when the ball was struck.

@Chris in London

I can't find the post that Blue Yorkie quoted above to quote you on it.

But wanted to point out that following that penalty against Swansea there was uproar on social media about the number of penalties we get. As you say above we've only got 1 since then. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on here.

It's the same thing as the rags having a sudden upturn in fortune in regards decisions ever since Mourinho's comments about all the poor decisions against them.

I don't think there's any conspiracy or that refs are bent, I believe they're just succumbing to external pressure that is applied by the media.

Not sure that's quite right, blue - I think subsequent to the Swansea game we got another 2 in the home game v Everton which took us to 5 in 8 matches, and we had been awarded a pen or two in the Champions League. But Everton was our 8th league game, since when we have one penalty awarded in 14 games. I think in general terms however you are probably right - there is undoubtedly an element of reaction to what has gone before. What you wonder is to what extent the number of decisions (favourable or unfavourable) given in relation to each team is something that is discussed, or not discussed, within the PGMOL.

This is the Swansea penalty, by the way:

Here is one the referee (Neil Swarbrick) didnt give in the same game, about which I don't think we would have too many complaints.

But the ref was correct. The rules have changed, and the freekick can now be what appears to be the wrong half. It states this explicitly.

I read it as being to do with the chang ein becoming active. Aguero was offside when the ball was kicked (he was in the Spurs half) but ran back to challenge, thus becoming active. The freekick is taken at the point of becoming active, not where the player was when the ball was struck.
Didn't no that . Bloody stupid rule as the offence was committed in the spuds half so that's where the free kick should be taken . Know one round us knew this new rule as we were all calling for the ball to be moved to the correct spot.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.