Referees/Officials

And that is a classic match-fixing action. Because the ref has clearly seen it yet chooses to take a positive decision to disadvantage the affected team.
Totally agree Clattenberg did exactly the same to Palace twice in the cup final.

It's the little things that add up even more than the blatant stuff which means 9/10 the refs get the desired result.

Its what i've been saying to my mates for a while, except the OP has said it more eloquently.

Refs are people who obviously like and have been brought up around football. There bound to have teams, allegiances and family ties.
They have and they are supposed to declare them to PGMOL. And that then renders them (in theory) ineligible to referee games involving those teams or where there might be a conflict of interest involving those teams. So when Mike Riley did his presentation to Points of Blue, he told the story that he (as a West Yorkshire ref) was taken off a Liverpool v Chelsea game as the result could impact Leeds, who were also in the title race at the time. Fair enough.

But think about declaring yourself as a United supporter. You wouldn't get United games, City games, Liverpool games or any game that might impact them, even Arsenal v Chelsea if that could impact a title race that the rags were involved in. So, in other words, no big games which isn't great for your career. And the same might well apply if you were a Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea fan by the way. Or even a Blue. So you'd be condemned to a lifetime of reffing West Brom v Stoke or Watford v Bournemouth games. And it also reduces the pool of refs eligible to do big games. The trouble is, when it comes to people like Mason and Taylor, they're local and people know them. People have run the line for them in their younger days or know their families. And people I know have said that Mason, despite having Bolton-watching brothers, was a regular match-goer at the Swamp in his younger days. And Taylor's family are well known to be rag fans, despite his supposed Alty connection. And I've said loads of time before, even if those allegiances were totally kosher, they should not be refereeing us or the rags inorder to avoid any potential accusations of conflicts of interest.

Mike Dean is a Tranmere fan who lives on the Wirral (part of the Cheshire FA) so he could referee Liverpool & Everton games. But as I understand it, he requested that he wasn't given those games for precisely the reason that Mason & Taylor should be given ours or the rags games. It was interesting to see that he finally did a Merseyside derby and it does make me wonder if that wasn't done as a parting gesture, and that he's standing down after this season. He's 49 this year so could, thinking about it, be the one to replace Riley if my thought about this being his last season in charge of PGMOL is correct.

I spend most of the second half on Saturday shouting "Clattenburg you cheating twat" - not one person corrected me. Mind you I did seem to be surrounded by half of China in my seat.

Only realised it was Marriner when I got home and logged on here.

Must start taking my glasses - mind you even I saw the blatant push from 60 yards away.

They have and they are supposed to declare them to PGMOL. And that then renders them (in theory) ineligible to referee games involving those teams or where there might be a conflict of interest involving those teams. So when Mike Riley did his presentation to Points of Blue, he told the story that he (as a West Yorkshire ref) was taken off a Liverpool v Chelsea game as the result could impact Leeds, who were also in the title race at the time. Fair enough.

But think about declaring yourself as a United supporter. You wouldn't get United games, City games, Liverpool games or any game that might impact them, even Arsenal v Chelsea if that could impact a title race that the rags were involved in. So, in other words, no big games which isn't great for your career. And the same might well apply if you were a Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea fan by the way. Or even a Blue. So you'd be condemned to a lifetime of reffing West Brom v Stoke or Watford v Bournemouth games. And it also reduces the pool of refs eligible to do big games. The trouble is, when it comes to people like Mason and Taylor, they're local and people know them. People have run the line for them in their younger days or know their families. And people I know have said that Mason, despite having Bolton-watching brothers, was a regular match-goer at the Swamp in his younger days. And Taylor's family are well known to be rag fans, despite his supposed Alty connection. And I've said loads of time before, even if those allegiances were totally kosher, they should not be refereeing us or the rags inorder to avoid any potential accusations of conflicts of interest.

Mike Dean is a Tranmere fan who lives on the Wirral (part of the Cheshire FA) so he could referee Liverpool & Everton games. But as I understand it, he requested that he wasn't given those games for precisely the reason that Mason & Taylor should be given ours or the rags games. It was interesting to see that he finally did a Merseyside derby and it does make me wonder if that wasn't done as a parting gesture, and that he's standing down after this season. He's 49 this year so could, thinking about it, be the one to replace Riley if my thought about this being his last season in charge of PGMOL is correct.

It makes you wonder why things like this aren't highlighted more in the media. Probably journo's not wanting to get on the wrong side of anyone who could cause them problems.

Interesting you mention one or two of the ref's supporting lower league clubs. My dad supports Bolton and I know if I was reffing a game which could ensure Bolton got promoted or avoided relegation I know i'd be inclined to favour that outcome. Its obvious these match officials have the same allegiances. I suppose PGMOL would find it hard to get people who have no love for football or any team and just like refereeing.

It makes you wonder why things like this aren't highlighted more in the media. Probably journo's not wanting to get on the wrong side of anyone who could cause them problems.

Interesting you mention one or two of the ref's supporting lower league clubs. My dad supports Bolton and I know if I was reffing a game which could ensure Bolton got promoted or avoided relegation I know i'd be inclined to favour that outcome. Its obvious these match officials have the same allegiances. I suppose PGMOL would find it hard to get people who have no love for football or any team and just like refereeing.
And when Riley came to the Etihad back in April 2012, Mason had just controversially refereed the rags v QPR, when the latter were in a relegation scrap with......Bolton!

Who was the last ref to be demoted? I vaguely remember one last year but he wasn't a well know ref unlike the main lot so it seems to me that there is no real repercussions for terrible officiating. They need the book slammed at them for continuously making bad errors, I can understand mistakes where its hard to judge in real time but some of the ones this weekend were just terrible. Either that or people can rightfully call them out for match fixing.

I spend most of the second half on Saturday shouting "Clattenburg you cheating twat" - not one person corrected me. Mind you I did seem to be surrounded by half of China in my seat.

Only realised it was Marriner when I got home and logged on here.

Must start taking my glasses - mind you even I saw the blatant push from 60 yards away.
Dickheads behind me (back rows of 315) were calling him a "M***** ****" (which is a disgrace by the way) for most of the game when they weren't puffing on eCigs that smell of strawberries (rank) much to the disgust of the wife.... No idea why as Marriner is a Midlander / Brummie isn't he?

Dickheads behind me (back rows of 315) were calling him a "M***** ****" (which is a disgrace by the way) for most of the game when they weren't puffing on eCigs that smell of strawberries (rank) much to the disgust of the wife.... No idea why as Marriner is a Midlander / Brummie isn't he?
According to Wiki he was born 1 January 1971 and based based in Sheldon, West Midlands. He is a member of the Birmingham County Football Association.

But the ref was correct. The rules have changed, and the freekick can now be what appears to be the wrong half. It states this explicitly.

I read it as being to do with the chang ein becoming active. Aguero was offside when the ball was kicked (he was in the Spurs half) but ran back to challenge, thus becoming active. The freekick is taken at the point of becoming active, not where the player was when the ball was struck.

They've still technically got it wrong if the flag was raised before Aguero reached the Spurs player, would have to re-watch it to find out. Because technically, he's involved in the playz the !moment he makes a move towards the ball in an offside position.

Wasn't Marriner responsible for Fergietime? that could explain it.

Who was the last ref to be demoted? I vaguely remember one last year but he wasn't a well know ref unlike the main lot so it seems to me that there is no real repercussions for terrible officiating. They need the book slammed at them for continuously making bad errors, I can understand mistakes where its hard to judge in real time but some of the ones this weekend were just terrible. Either that or people can rightfully call them out for match fixing.

Mike Dean got demoted earlier this season after a string of howlers. Cant imagine Marriner will be demoted after Saturday, though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.