Referees/Officials

Come off it mate.
It looked like Sterling was fouled when I rewatched that play. And then Sterling left his leg out and made more contact to accentuate the fact. Unfortunately, the ref saw the accentuation and thought it was entirely acting, hence the call.

But it's even possible that Sterling was stepped on - can't tell from the replay.

Whatever the case - I thought that it was a clear foul but that Sterling was trying to impress upon the ref that he'd been stepped on/struck.

Which is the type of thing you "see" when you're too predisposed to believe that one side is a gift to the game and needs to be protected.

I know where you're coming from on this Terra in the sense that there's seldom a reason to assign malice to something that can better be described by incompetence. In this case, however, the outcome is the same and there's almost not point in trying to split the two. He was either bent or incredibly bad at his job. Each has a differently depressing logical outcome.

All refs have bad days. Most fan bases of every team believe that refs generally are worse for them than anyone else. Usually this is nonsense confirmation bias stuff. In this competition, anyone who isn't Barca/Madrid/Bayern right now tends to suffer because the refs show these teams such deference.

I didn't say you were naive, you called me a tinfoiler for the same things you've just agreed with. The entire referring body would not have to be in on it; the article I posted reported on a case involving at least some higher up the chain but that doesn't mean all were, nor is that always the case. Making calls influenced by bias is cheating, but not necessarily corrupt (i.e. for personal gain). Anyway, made my point.
Touche.

I'm not at all arguing against bias.

But I'd like to think that the game I love most is above outright cheating by referrees at the domestic/UCL/World Cup stage. Yeah, other leagues may have problems - but I'd like to hope not these three. At least not on large scale - individual bad actors are bound to occur.

It looked like Sterling was fouled when I rewatched that play. And then Sterling left his leg out and made more contact to accentuate the fact. Unfortunately, the ref saw the accentuation and thought it was entirely acting, hence the call.

But it's even possible that Sterling was stepped on - can't tell from the replay.

Whatever the case - I thought that it was a clear foul but that Sterling was trying to impress upon the ref that he'd been stepped on/struck.

He was stepped on.

Touche.

I'm not at all arguing against bias.

But I'd like to think that the game I love most is above outright cheating by referrees at the domestic/UCL/World Cup stage.
It isn't and, most importantly, our club owners know for certain that it isn't so accept it & get over it.

Refs are bent, managers are bent and players are bent. We've had our share of them at City as well.

How anyone takes you seriously is beyond me

So you think that the game is corrupt, currently, at the BPL/UCL/World Cup level? And I'm not talking about FIFA and the award of the World Cup/other things which is obviously corrupt - I'm talking about referring in those competitions.

In other words, you think that referees in those competitions are on the take, are corrupt, and that we cannot trust their decisions because they're being paid off?

He was stepped on.
Is the correct answer and I have yet to read an article from any journo who actually agrees with the refs decision.Martin Samuels made me laugh when he said in his report that it was a penalty in real time,a penalty in slow time, a penalty in replay time and for those watching the Arsenal game even they could see it.

How anyone takes you seriously is beyond me
So you think that Sterling wasn't fouled?

Or perhaps you think that the ref was clearly corrupt - had been bribed against us. Was told to make Barca win. But somehow failed in this singular capacity in spite having given ample opportunity to make Barca the victor.

Karen, I like most of your posts, but really?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.