Referees/Officials

Oh for many years certainly. Refs are under a very critical view in the media and by supporters as refs are expected to be absolutely neutral as a judge and on top are understood to let a match run fluently without playing a remarkable role themselves.

They have become really good in Germany and I think they are very well qualified and managed by the ref's association. That said a lot has been done to improve the public view on referees. We've had some arrogant and blind refs as well, but never as seemingly bent as yours.

Watching refs in the EPL is so incredibly weird to me, it's hard to describe.
Biggest market, all the money and then those wrong decisions day in day out. Really strange...

Cheers, that all sounds quite beneficial to the game, both to the refs and the fans.

The bold bit - not just to you! The strange thing is that Oliver and Taylor ref internationals and European club matches, but appear to do so on a different basis.

Here, it all goes back to 1992 when the FA created the Premier League to spite the Football League, and the PL were given control of themselves, rather than the FA being in control. Now we have the PL paying for the refs as well, and several examples of refs not being appointed to some clubs for years after making a decision the manager didn't like. One ref at one point went about 5 years without reffing Man Utd after annoying Ferguson!

The head of our refs is Mike Riley - somewhere there's a youtube video of his performance in a Utd-Arsenal match after Arsenal had been unbeaten for ages (I think). It's very much a "spot the bottled decision". I'm sure someone can supply a link.

They'll have decisions go against them, all teams do, it's the majority of major/game influencing decisions that go in their favour that is disproportionate.

Ibrahimovic is pretty much a red card waiting to happen every game, he's worse than Costa but gets sod all action against him.Going back further how many times did Ronaldo kick out at opponents but never receive a red and it never be scrutinised in the media?

Herrera being booked for a slip is strange but at least it is consistent ineptitude, as wasn't Fernandinho booked at the Swamp for slipping into a rag?

Iheanacho in the cup match.

The lack of spin/action is the odd thing. Ibrahimovic's late shoulder charge on Dawson should have resulted in a sending off, but not a dicky bird was said on the coverage.

I am more annoyed by the lack of consistency than by poor decisions. If Rojo stays on, Ferny stays on.

Referee's will penalise a city player more easily than a player of another top team because they KNOW there will not be a media witch-hunt against them - whether the decision is right or wrong.
That Chelsea game would never have been reffed in that way if it was the Trafford lot playing. No fecking way.
We are hoisted up to be beaten and made an example of because no one is going to loop the video footage on our behalf.
That's the way it is, it's not going to change until popular public opinion sides with city. And that, my friends, is approximately 10 years of winning regular trophies away.
As I posted somewhere else on the forum, it's not going to change naturally, as the public believe what they're told and poor reffering against us is 90% airbrushed out.

Assuming the dossier that pb goes on about from 2012 and I've no reason to doubt him we need something similar on a regular basis and to pressure removal of certain conflict of interests staff within the fa.

They'll have decisions go against them, all teams do, it's the majority of major/game influencing decisions that go in their favour that is disproportionate.

Ibrahimovic is pretty much a red card waiting to happen every game, he's worse than Costa but gets sod all action against him.Going back further how many times did Ronaldo kick out at opponents but never receive a red and it never be scrutinised in the media?

Herrera being booked for a slip is strange but at least it is consistent ineptitude, as wasn't Fernandinho booked at the Swamp for slipping into a rag?

An opposition penalty in added time to make the goal a consolation and a sweetener for having sent off the opposition best player an hour before. That's the kind of decision that goes against them! They don't lose matches or points or bannings by having games refereed fairly!

Cheers, that all sounds quite beneficial to the game, both to the refs and the fans...
The head of our refs is Mike Riley - somewhere there's a youtube video of his performance in a Utd-Arsenal match after Arsenal had been unbeaten for ages (I think). It's very much a "spot the bottled decision". I'm sure someone can supply a link.

This one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM747L9Wf8M

Took a second view to understand it's not a comedy video. Goodness.
Unbiased ref performances like this one have been the reason why German sports journos insisted to ask the ref some questions post match. And well, what can you as a ref then? You make yourself a clown if you don't admit you've been wrong.

I also think that a lot of supporter's hatred against other clubs is feeded by those bad decisions. Look, I am quite far away but watching that video makes it really easy to hate the rags as I imagine how Arsenal fans must have felt.
In Germany in the meantime it's understood to overcome the hatred and start to support your colours in good and bad times in a positive way instead of hating the opponents. (Of course quite a lot are still failing, but you steadily have to set the trend.)
It's even much better for the atmosphere in the grounds.

Iheanacho in the cup match.

The lack of spin/action is the odd thing. Ibrahimovic's late shoulder charge on Dawson should have resulted in a sending off, but not a dicky bird was said on the coverage.

I am more annoyed by the lack of consistency than by poor decisions. If Rojo stays on, Ferny stays on.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Rojo should of been off twice, that then doesn't mean Fernandinho should stay on the pitch as someone else got away with it. As you say consistency is the key

That's the one, yes. I can only imagine the interview afterwards.

I think you're spot on - getting thumped by a better team is one of those things. Arsenal of that time thrashed City twice at City, and Henry was applauded off. The dripfeed of individual events, hyped and spun to the limit by our media, is what causes the illfeeling.

German football is pretty much better set up from top to bottom!

Two wrongs don't make a right. Rojo should of been off twice, that then doesn't mean Fernandinho should stay on the pitch as someone else got away with it. As you say consistency is the key

Oh, I agree. That was my point - both on or both off, but consistent. In this case, both off would be more correct.

I think it's moving towards forcing the refs to explain themselves, but very slowly.

Oh, I agree. That was my point - both on or both off, but consistent. In this case, both off would be more correct.

I think it's moving towards forcing the refs to explain themselves, but very slowly.
Never happen. Mike Riley won't allow it.

Commentator. "Anthony. Why were you going for your card and whistle when Luiz took out Aguero, then completely changed your mind and did nothing?"
Taylor. "Mike Riley told me via my earpiece than I would not be receiving my "bonus" in the usual brown envelope if I did, and to think of the consequences for future game selections."
Commentator. "That seems a perfectly reasonable explanation. Thank you for your honesty."

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.