Referees/Officials

I agree that the general point about our possession and number of fouls relative to the amount of free kicks yellow cards we pick up is disproportionate, and I think Guardiola is right to raise his concerns.

A big part of why we are bottom of the fair play league though is down to needless red cards that we're acquiring, and from senior pros at that.

You could argue that some of that is borne from frustration, but they should know better and not give refs the opportunity to send them off. Nolito, Aguero (x 2 with the West Ham one) and Fernandinho (x 2) were all down to the player, there was no injustice in that regard.

No injustice with our reds against Chelsea!? You joking. What about the fact that the person who started the fracas after the Sergio foul by pushing him over (Chalaboa!?) escaped punishment, Fabregas who provoked Fernandinho by slapping him in the face escaped punishment and the Alty referee does absolutely 'nothing' to calm the situation down, which I have honestly never seen happen from a referee before.

I will still maintain that Sergio's retrospective punishment was a farce and you really believe the ref didn't see the incident at the time!? No injustice there!?

It's all very well suggesting our players are angels, but when faced with such obvious provocation, when the adrenaline is pumping, and expecting them not to retaliate, then that is easier said than done. Under the obvious provocation we receive, I'm surprised we dont get more red cards considering our players get zero protection from referees. To then see other teams (the rags) do the same thing or worse and get nothing then words fail me. It's corrupt, I'm just not sure how far the corruption goes.

The Sunday Mirror are reporting that Guardiola wants a meeting with Mike Riley to "understand" English refs:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/manchester-city-want-referees-chief-9580202

He's aggrieved that we're bottom of the Fair Play league despite dominating possession in most games, and having committed fewer fouls than most.

Can see where he's coming from, as we often seem to pick up yellows for offences that rivals get away with. Not sure we can have too many gripes about the reds we've picked up though?
I sure hope this is true. I hope the club really gets their case put together carefully and asks for answers to the inconsistency we have seen. At the very least it will put Riley on warning that we will not continue to take this by just turning the other cheek.

How many times have you been to the game, we've won and you come away saying that ref was Sh**e? If you are anything like me the answer would be lots. Its not only an agenda thing they are sh**e as well which helps cover the agenda.

The refs job is judgement on his observations against a set of rules, plus knowledge and judgement. A multi billion pound industry, many peoples lives/careers and businesses rest on some of his judgement and decisions. If air traffic controllers made as many mistakes, we would have carnage on a daily basis.
Refs do not even 'seem' to be held to account on 'poor' decisions e.g. overturned red cards never mind the day to day blatant off-sides, where is the trust and 'Respect'?

Respect needs to earned, at present there is no route for this; until the system becomes transparent we are stuck in a loop. Where several old biased has-beans in a TV studio dribble an agenda full of bile to an audience of sponge-minded goldfish who drink it in as fact.
If the Head of refs in England hosted a weekly TV programme explaining decisions and detailing errors. Then going on to with explanations of what was being done to prevent repeats by individuals or improve the system/support. It may go along way to help earn respect and POSSIBLY get good viewing figures. This will never happen as its best to keep it murky so the pond life can thrive in the swamp.

I'm not sure the two are comparable, to be fair. It's a bad analogy. I'll give you the FIFA (and indeed UEFA) corruption though, even if it's not like for like.

If you do think it's inherently bent though, how do you explain the marginal 2012 and 2014 title wins? Surely it wouldn't have taken much to nobble us at some point in the lead up to those successes?

Also, as mentioned to blueinsa, why would you carry on following a sport that you felt was corrupt?
We were nobbled in 2012 clear as day. The witch hunt to get Balotelli a respective red card for tripping near Scott Parkers massive head and Ashley Young diving for about 6 successive penalties at the end of the season.

If I thought the game was inherently bent as you suggest then I'd just bin it off. What would be the point in following it? Certain teams undoubtedly get preferential treatment, and it's infuriating, but I don't buy the wholesale corruption theory. There would be a whistleblower somewhere, and it would be huge news.
I'm almost certain it is !

Think it was the Arsenal vs Preston game yesterday. Keeper gets a bit of an arm to the face to stop him getting the ball under control/punching it out. Ref rightly gives it as a foul and commentators go on about it being a definite foul. But against Burnley it wasn't when bravo was slapped round the chops. Then there is Ashley youngs challenge in the manure game that looked no better than dinhos red card...

I'm not sure the two are comparable, to be fair. It's a bad analogy. I'll give you the FIFA (and indeed UEFA) corruption though, even if it's not like for like.

If you do think it's inherently bent though, how do you explain the marginal 2012 and 2014 title wins? Surely it wouldn't have taken much to nobble us at some point in the lead up to those successes?

Also, as mentioned to blueinsa, why would you carry on following a sport that you felt was corrupt?
I think the point about 2012 and 2014 is wrong Ric - but for some of the dodgy refereeing decisions the title wins would have been much bigger. How do you explain us going into the QPR 3 2 game in 2012 with the possession we had that season with 8 sendings off to us and only 1 of our opponents had been sent off (Joey did make it two thank fuck) and yet scum only had 1 sent off but 8 opponents sent off, that is a huge difference for 2 teams on the same points??

I sure hope this is true. I hope the club really gets their case put together carefully and asks for answers to the inconsistency we have seen. At the very least it will put Riley on warning that we will not continue to take this by just turning the other cheek.

+1 the club has been far too quiet on the ref inconsistencies, lets hope this does make Riley and his merry men think twice

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.