Religion

Atheism is growing at a greater rate than any religion is. And anywhere where there is atheism, it is growing very quickly (quadrupling over the last ten years in many countries).

Even in places you wouldn’t expect, like Iran; around 9% of their population are convinced atheists.
Interesting figures. Though what you write contradicts the original projections in the pew graph (not to say you are ‘wrong’). I’d also be curious as to whether there are more folks falling between the gaps due to the wording in the questionnaires. Personally I’d be unlikely to answer a questionnaire in the first place but if someone asked me which religion I belonged to I’d most likely have to put ‘none.’ There would most likely not be a box to tick that said ‘Asking me which religion I belong to is a bit like asking me which pen I belong to when I write.’

Interesting figures. Though what you write contradicts the original projections in the pew graph (not to say you are ‘wrong’). I’d also be curious as to whether there are more folks falling between the gaps due to the wording in the questionnaires. Personally I’d be unlikely to answer a questionnaire in the first place but if someone asked me which religion I belonged to I’d most likely have to put ‘none.’ There would most likely not be a box to tick that said ‘Asking me which religion I belong to is a bit like asking me which pen I belong to when I write.’
Spiritually Agnostic?

Spiritually Agnostic?
God knows, lol…I might look at it and say that it as simple as whether I am open or closed to the flow of Life - though ‘going with the flow’ can be closed and what seems to be closed can be a step before opening. So I might visit this religion or that place or this scientific article or meet that (non?) spiritual person. And through that there is an exploration and a process of change rather than a fixed dogma to follow. Might not be everyone’s cup of tea (myself included at times…) but each to their own ‘god’ or ‘no god.’

According to Genesis 7:2-3, there were two pairs of unclean animals BUT SEVEN PAIRS of clean animals -

"You shall take with you seven each of every clean animal, a male and his female; two each of animals that are unclean, a male and his female; 3 also seven each of birds of the air, male and female, to keep 1the species alive on the face of all the earth".

That's quite a lot!
Glad you noticed
How did Noah fit all of those animals on the ark? Was the ark big enough to fit “two of every kind… of the birds after their kind
(species) , and of the animals after their kind, of every creeping thing of the ground after its kind,” and seven of some kinds? What about food? There had to be enough room to store enough food to last Noah and his family (8 in all), plus all of the animals, at least a year (see Genesis 7:11 8:13-18) and maybe more, depending on how long it took for vegetation to grow back. That’s a lot of food as you noticed! What about drinking water? Is it realistic to believe that Noah’s boat was big enough to store all of these animals and all of this food and water for over a year?

The dimensions for the ark given in Genesis are 300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide and 30 cubits high (Genesis 6:15). What is a cubit? A cubit is an ancient unit of measurement, the length of the forearm from the elbow to the longest finger (the term “cubit” comes from the Latin word “cubitum” which means “elbow.” We know a cubit is somewhere between 17 and 22 inches (43-56 centimeters). So, doing the maths using the Egyptian cubit:

300 x 22 inches = 6,600; 50 x 22 inches = 1,100; 30 x 22 inches = 660
6,600/12 = 550 feet; 1100/12 = 91.7 feet; 660/12 = 55 feet.

Thus, the ark could have been up to 550 feet long, 91.7 feet wide and 55 feet high. These are not unreasonable dimensions. But how much storage space does this amount to?
550 x 91.7 x 55 = 2,773,925 cubic feet. (If we take the smallest measurement of cubit, 17 inches, we end up with 1,278,825 ft³). Of course, not all of it would have been free space. The ark had three decks (Genesis 6:16) and a lot of rooms (Genesis 6:14), the walls of which would have taken up space. Nevertheless, it has been calculated that a little more than half (54.75%) of the 2,773,925 cubic feet could store 125,000 sheep-sized animals, leaving over 1.5 million cubic feet³ of free space (see icrDOTorg/article/how-could-all-animals-get-board-noahs-ark/).

John Woodmorappe, author of the definitive Noah’s Ark: A Feasibility Study, estimated that only about 15 percent of the animals on the ark would have been larger than a sheep. This figure does not take into account the possibility that God may have brought Noah “infant” animals, which can be significantly smaller than adult animals.

How many animals were on the ark? Woodmorappe estimates 8,000 “kinds.” What is a “kind”? The description of “kind” is thought to be much broader than the designation “species.” Even as there are over 400 dog breeds all belonging to one species (Canis familiaris), so many species can belong to one kind. Some think that the category “genus” is close to what is called the biblical “kind.”
So even if we presume that “kind” is synonymous with “species,” “there are not very many species of mammals, birds, amphibians and reptiles. The leading systematic biologist, Ernst Mayr, gives the number as 17,600. Allowing for TWO of each species on the ark, plus seven of the few so-called “clean” kinds of animals for eventual sacrifice, plus a reasonable increment for known extinct species, it is obvious that not more than, say, 50,000 animals were on the ark.
Christ Jesus spoke of Noah and how God judged the world in the flood. Billions of dead things, buried in rock layers , laid down by water all over the whole earth are a reminder of a watery catastrophic judgement.( Search flume experiments for confirmation of layering and strata)
"For as were the days of Noah so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they
were eating and drinking and marrying , giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away so will be the coming of the Son of Man"
Jesus is coming again to judge the earth very soon as we near the end of the sixth millennium since creation. He is not coming as a little baby next time.
Just as Noah’s contemporaries failed to understand their impending doom, many of our own people will be swept away in God’s judgment without ever realising their need for a Savior. The flood functions as a warning to any of us who presume upon God’s mercy in continuing our lack of humility not owning up. Why not admit to God stuff we've done in our past hasnt been the best? For instance, atheism is the belief in an idol above God. The flood speaks to all to turn to God and not be so hard of heart. Jesus is knocking on our door - Rev3:20.
It only takes a moment to turn to Christ and let Him in. The gains are glorious and completeness as opposed to brokenness . Healing victory - Revelation 3:21

Glad you noticed
How did Noah fit all of those animals on the ark? Was the ark big enough to fit “two of every kind… of the birds after their kind
(species) , and of the animals after their kind, of every creeping thing of the ground after its kind,” and seven of some kinds? What about food? There had to be enough room to store enough food to last Noah and his family (8 in all), plus all of the animals, at least a year (see Genesis 7:11 8:13-18) and maybe more, depending on how long it took for vegetation to grow back. That’s a lot of food as you noticed! What about drinking water? Is it realistic to believe that Noah’s boat was big enough to store all of these animals and all of this food and water for over a year?

The dimensions for the ark given in Genesis are 300 cubits long, 50 cubits wide and 30 cubits high (Genesis 6:15). What is a cubit? A cubit is an ancient unit of measurement, the length of the forearm from the elbow to the longest finger (the term “cubit” comes from the Latin word “cubitum” which means “elbow.” We know a cubit is somewhere between 17 and 22 inches (43-56 centimeters). So, doing the maths using the Egyptian cubit:

Thus, the ark could have been up to 550 feet long, 91.7 feet wide and 55 feet high. These are not unreasonable dimensions. But how much storage space does this amount to?
550 x 91.7 x 55 = 2,773,925 cubic feet. (If we take the smallest measurement of cubit, 17 inches, we end up with 1,278,825 ft³). Of course, not all of it would have been free space. The ark had three decks (Genesis 6:16) and a lot of rooms (Genesis 6:14), the walls of which would have taken up space. Nevertheless, it has been calculated that a little more than half (54.75%) of the 2,773,925 cubic feet could store 125,000 sheep-sized animals, leaving over 1.5 million cubic feet³ of free space (see icrDOTorg/article/how-could-all-animals-get-board-noahs-ark/).

John Woodmorappe, author of the definitive Noah’s Ark: A Feasibility Study, estimated that only about 15 percent of the animals on the ark would have been larger than a sheep. This figure does not take into account the possibility that God may have brought Noah “infant” animals, which can be significantly smaller than adult animals.

How many animals were on the ark? Woodmorappe estimates 8,000 “kinds.” What is a “kind”? The description of “kind” is thought to be much broader than the designation “species.” Even as there are over 400 dog breeds all belonging to one species (Canis familiaris), so many species can belong to one kind. Some think that the category “genus” is close to what is called the biblical “kind.”
So even if we presume that “kind” is synonymous with “species,” “there are not very many species of mammals, birds, amphibians and reptiles. The leading systematic biologist, Ernst Mayr, gives the number as 17,600. Allowing for TWO of each species on the ark, plus seven of the few so-called “clean” kinds of animals for eventual sacrifice, plus a reasonable increment for known extinct species, it is obvious that not more than, say, 50,000 animals were on the ark.
Christ Jesus spoke of Noah and how God judged the world in the flood. Billions of dead things, buried in rock layers , laid down by water all over the whole earth are a reminder of a watery catastrophic judgement.( Search flume experiments for confirmation of layering and strata)
"For as were the days of Noah so will be the coming of the Son of Man. For as in those days before the flood they
were eating and drinking and marrying , giving in marriage, until the day when Noah entered the ark, and they were unaware until the flood came and swept them all away so will be the coming of the Son of Man"
Jesus is coming again to judge the earth very soon as we near the end of the sixth millennium since creation. He is not coming as a little baby next time.
Just as Noah’s contemporaries failed to understand their impending doom, many of our own people will be swept away in God’s judgment without ever realising their need for a Savior. The flood functions as a warning to any of us who presume upon God’s mercy in continuing our lack of humility not owning up. Why not admit to God stuff we've done in our past hasnt been the best? For instance, atheism is the belief in an idol above God. The flood speaks to all to turn to God and not be so hard of heart. Jesus is knocking on our door - Rev3:20.
It only takes a moment to turn to Christ and let Him in. The gains are glorious and completeness as opposed to brokenness . Healing victory - Revelation 3:21
you do know its all allegorical......don't you?

Glad you noticed

My wife doesn’t believe Noah’s Ark ever happened and believe a lot of the Old Testament stories are parables in themselves. She believes it’s a metaphor for Jesus and he’s the “Ark”.

Convenient I suppose but there’s no way Noah’s Ark ever happened. The dimensions you’ve posted are laughable, even if you’re going to fit 2 of every species on as infants.

Again, she believes that Adam and Eve are a metaphor for humanity turning to sin over God… however I’ve pointed out a massive problem is that Adam is mentioned in Matthew and Luke as Jesus’s ancestor.

My wife doesn’t believe Noah’s Ark ever happened and believe a lot of the Old Testament stories are parables in themselves. She believes it’s a metaphor for Jesus and he’s the “Ark”.

Convenient I suppose but there’s no way Noah’s Ark ever happened. The dimensions you’ve posted are laughable, even if you’re going to fit 2 of every species on as infants.

Again, she believes that Adam and Eve are a metaphor for humanity turning to sin over God… however I’ve pointed out a massive problem is that Adam is mentioned in Matthew and Luke as Jesus’s ancestor.
and the problem is exactly?

you don't think adam is real do you?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.