Restoring the Death Penalty in Britain

What's the best way of carrying out executions?

The medicalised proceedure of lethal injection used in the US is just silent suffocation, definitely not quick, just quiet. The drugs cost a fortune aswell - it's a pretty exclusive market.

Hanging is often said to be too good for them. They are also a waste of a bullet apparently. Don't know about you, but I went right off the electric chair after watching The Green Mile. So what's left?

mammutly said:

The medicalised proceedure of lethal injection used in the US is just silent suffocation, definitely not quick, just quiet. The drugs cost a fortune aswell - it's a pretty exclusive market.

Hanging is often said to be too good for them. They are also a waste of a bullet apparently. Don't know about you, but I went right off the electric chair after watching The Green Mile. So what's left?

Halal style?

Warwickhunt said:
mammutly said:

Halal style?

Hmmm, On PPV scheduled for 3.00 am with 5 hours of build up and a phone in vote on what the prisoner should wear for the occasion? They could have a live feed from the death cell.

It would generate millions. We could really help the debt situation with this and get rid of scum in the process.

mackenzie said:
Lucky13 said:
We should have the death penalty for the most heinous crimes , I do not see it as a deterrent ,it clearly isn't in the Countries that have it , it should be as it is called , a penalty.

The fact that Hindley and Brady were on remand when we scrapped the death penalty is a national disgrace.
But who is to define 'most heinous?'
Do we include somebody who robs an elderly person where the victim subsequently dies soon after and a drink driver who knowingly gets behind the wheel pissed up then kills someone. At the end of the day someone's life is still lost as the result of someone else's act and there are families left to grieve. This was part of the undoubted undoing of the death penalty last time. Bentley and Ellis cases caused a furore and rightly so.

Our laws are defined already , it's the sentencing that needs altering.

For instance , the Yorkshire Ripper , the jury ( the guidelines would be life without parole / death penalty )on giving their guilty verdict could recommend the death penalty , the Judge would have to take this into consideration.

The drink driving example is a good one for poor sentencing , if you get in a car drunk and kill someone 25yrs per death seems appropriate.

I agree with you about the families , I cannot imagine what it's like to find out your son / husband / brother is the Yorkshire Ripper , my sympathies would extend to his family , it's not their fault he committed these crimes , but the first consideration should always be for his victims and he should be punished accordingly.

Lucky13 said:
mackenzie said:
Lucky13 said:
We should have the death penalty for the most heinous crimes , I do not see it as a deterrent ,it clearly isn't in the Countries that have it , it should be as it is called , a penalty.

The fact that Hindley and Brady were on remand when we scrapped the death penalty is a national disgrace.
Do we include somebody who robs an elderly person where the victim subsequently dies soon after and a drink driver who knowingly gets behind the wheel pissed up then kills someone. At the end of the day someone's life is still lost as the result of someone else's act and there are families left to grieve. This was part of the undoubted undoing of the death penalty last time. Bentley and Ellis cases caused a furore and rightly so.

For instance , the Yorkshire Ripper , the jury ( the guidelines would be life without parole / death penalty )on giving their guilty verdict could recommend the death penalty , the Judge would have to take this into consideration.

The drink driving example is a good one for poor sentencing , if you get in a car drunk and kill someone 25yrs per death seems appropriate.

I agree with you about the families , I cannot imagine what it's like to find out your son / husband / brother is the Yorkshire Ripper , my sympathies would extend to his family , it's not their fault he committed these crimes , but the first consideration should always be for his victims and he should be punished accordingly.

Are you saying that the jury should decide the sentence?

gaudinho's stolen car said:
Lucky13 said:
mackenzie said:

Are you saying that the jury should decide the sentence?

When the Judge sends the jury out he would say , if found guilty the range of sentencing is..., so when they return and say , guilty of murder in the first degree ( apologies for the americanism ) the Judge would be left with no doubt that the jury would expect that the death penalty should be considered.

Edit , i realise my first post reads like they should say , he should hang.

de niro said:
How do you know? It could be even worse without it.
The United States are a treasure trove of statistical information on the death penalty. The federalism of the United States makes it possible for us to compare the states which have it to states that don't. In no year has the average murder rate in states without the death penalty exceeded that of those with it. In fact, the relationship is very much the opposite. Between 1996 and 2009, the difference in the murder rate in states without the death penalty was between 35%-46% lower every year than states with it. I don't know what more evidence you want.

Skashion said:
de niro said:
How do you know? It could be even worse without it.
The United States is a treasure trove of statistical information on the death penalty. The federalism of the United States makes it possible for us to compare the states which have it to states that don't. In no year has the average murder rate in states without the death penalty exceeded that of those with it. In fact, the relationship is very much the opposite. Between 1996 and 2009, the difference in the murder rate in states without the death penalty was between 35%-46% lower every year than states with it. I don't know what more evidence you want.

To be fair, based on his previous post, that isn't the evidence he wants.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.