Retiring

This is why I think dogs are a good idea for retired folk - get you out of bed, and up off your arse out the house and walking a couple of times a day at least. They'd be a pain in the arse if you wanted to do a 17 day bike ride, go skiing or follow city round Europe though.
Don’t bother with animals, they tie you down to much if you like to be away, but a good idea if you don’t

How on earth does anyone reach 50 plus without having spent hours thinking and planning of what they’d do if they didn’t have the “toad work hanging round their neck”?
Busy working, busy keeping there heads above water.
I had years doing pretty stressful jobs, earning decent brass but barely getting by.
Ive re-addressed it all now but it meant for years i couldnt plan beyond next months wage.
Other than dreaming about winning the lottery i couldnt see beyond a month in front

Luckily I started working in the 70s when it was compulsory to make contributions to the pension scheme as many schemes were before Thatcher abolished them being compulsory in 1986. I never had a bean spare for years, just had to get by.

Don’t bother with animals, they tie you down to much if you like to be away, but a good idea if you don’t
Our two lads got married last year and we were hoping for the patter of tiny feet before long. We never guessed that those feet would belong to a Labradoodle and two f****** kittens

We're away this weekend for a slightly delayed "retirement weekend" (I finished at the end of March) with the lads and their wives at a cabin in the Forest of Dean and I shit you not one the daughter in law actually asked if the hot tub will be too hot for the dog! They can fuck off if they think it's going anywhere near the tub unless they want it drowning....

Both sons are taking their pets because "the Forest of Dean is designed for dogs" and "We can't put the kittens in a cattery (even though the neighbour has offered to look after them)"

I'm proud of both sons but at times I do fucking wonder about their priorities

**If you happen to find this post by accident Ashley and Josh, NO I'm not joking about the offer of euthanasia for any of the pets**

Last edited:
That's completely true mate. And the main reason I would never have a dog.
I like to go away, not only for a long holidays but just going away for the weekend, a dog would put the mockers on that.

That’s because your FIL is a stupid **** with no aspiration!
Hope that doesn’t offend.
Retired from full time work six years ago so I could watch City in Europe and go on more ski holidays.
Now fully retired and should have done a four month tour of Europe in April until COVID happened.
Nevertheless currently in Tintagel with a bike ride to Boscastle tomorrow, with a pasty for lunch and fish & chips for tea on return. Then off to Newquay, St Ives, Looe, Brixham and Torquay over the next 17 days.
Get out and about and try new things.
Trip booked to the next solar eclipse provided flights still going!

retire and live, don’t die in front of the fucking cathode ray tube
This is exactly what it’s about, don’t work to the grave, I’m currently in dispute with the wife I want to get a camper van next year and when my daughter is off school take her round Europe, she’s moaning because she’s still working full time and will be for years but no way I’m sitting at home wasting away.

I was once doing some work at a guys house and we got talking....he had worked for the same company doing the same job for nigh on 45 years and had looked forward to retirement, he spent his retirement watching daytime TV.
We sold up and moved abroad later that year mostly on the back of that chat, Oh and the traffic jams....

This is exactly what it’s about, don’t work to the grave, I’m currently in dispute with the wife I want to get a camper van next year and when my daughter is off school take her round Europe, she’s moaning because she’s still working full time and will be for years but no way I’m sitting at home wasting away.

I plan to have the best part of my retirement whilst the wife is still working! Don’t want her spoiling my fun.

I came across this and thought it might be useful:

The income they state at £2.1k per household is enough for most clients I look after as long as you have a few quid in the bank for car change/home improvements etc.

£1500 is plenty for most on their own. My mum lives comfortably on that. She could survive on about £1k to be honest.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.