Richard Dunne {merged}

Re: To: City Re: Richard Dunne

C_T_I_D said:
Dear Damocles,

Take your blue tinted specs off and realise there is no room for sentiment in football.

Which is a crying shame really. I'd like to think we were the type of club now who could afford sentiment.

Joleon Lescott and Kolo Toure are superior in ability to Dunne in my opinion and to have him as a squad player would only halt the progress of Nedum Onouha which would be wrong.
Richard Dunne served this club brilliantly most of the time but was prone to errors and we will save points having cut them out thanks to his and Tal Ben-Haims departure. I hold Dunne in high regard as a gentleman, but I do not believe for one second that he was good enough to be a first team regular given the new players that have come through the door and given Dunne's desire / need for first team football at this stage of his career there was seemingly only one option.

I agree that Toure and Lescott are better defenders than Dunne, but he was ahead of Ned and Kompany in Hughes' team sheets. If as he said, he told Hughes that he's willing to fight for his place in the team, then surely that's the type of player you want? I can't see him getting dropped from ROI, and Dunne has shown in the past that he has the potential to be a quality player at times.
Ireland shows us that giving a player the incentive to work will reap benefits, rather than selling them off. I honestly am having trouble understanding how people think that he's now dried up, and past his best at 29. That's around the same age as Toure.

Much like Gareth Barry (who was at Villa for 12 months) he may just have needed a change of scenery to 'freshen' him up as he became too comfortable in his surroundings. I don't know. What I do know though is there's no point crying over spilt milk and that the world isn't going to end just because Richard Dunne has left Manchester City. This is the biggest signal that the new Manchester City are emerging fast and the old City are being left in the dust. He's not top four or premiership title winning material which is basically what we aim to be (even if we don't accomplish that this season).

Kind Regards,

C_T_I_D

All top four teams have an excellent first team, then some players on the sidelines who are quality on their day, but not all the time. O'Shea jumps to mind here. He's better than Ned currently (according to Hughes' selection), so surely if we were wanting to compete in all competitions, it would be wise to keep defenders like him around?

He'll do very well at Villa as a replacement for Laursen, and I'm sure a few of us will be remembering why he was so highly rated soon.

Damocles said:
Dear Management of City,

I have just seen an interview with Richard Dunne regarding his move to Aston Villa. It seems he never wanted to leave, and was forced out of the club because 'we needed the money'. He wanted to stay and fight for his place, to help us achieve something. He said that he still loves the club, the fans and would want to come back.
All the PR spin in the world doesn't cover the fact that you've just sold a player who wants to play, who is good enough (hence his appearences this season), and understood the soul of the club after been here for 4.5 times the length you have.

Go fuck yourself.

Thanks,
Damocles

Dear Damocles,

It’s brilliant to be here (at Aston Villa). I was at Manchester City for nine years and it was probably time to go our separate ways. I feel now it’s a fresh start.

Thanks for your concern,

Richard Dunne

I saw the interview and saw a different view to you Damocles.

He seemed very bitter.I like Dunnie.Been a good servant.But all along i`ve always said he is not good enough for where we want to go.For such a big centre half he doesn`t score enough goals,well apart from his own net.Gets caught out of position far too often,holds the premiership record for being sent off(i think) was defiantely no leader on the pitch and i think was only voted player of the year so often because all weve done for the past 6 yrs is defend(and fans like you who are happy to see players try hard but not actually achieve anything).He couldn`t even pass it out of defence or spray a long ball to one of his own players(see othe rmore successful defenders who can do this).
He said JOKINGLY that they said we needed the money.I read this as the club basically saying..out you go..we would like you to leave.Keeping Dunne would have stifled Nedum IMO as we have enough quality without him.We have four players for that position now,everyone of them better than dunne.

Good luck to Dunnie.He was part of the old era but now we need to move on and be thinking that better players will get us where we hav`nt been for 30 odd years.
Mate you really need to be thinking the same.

TELL YOU WHAT, LETS TELL THE NEW OWNERS TO GO AWAY, LETS GET DUNNE BACK , TBH BACK, GET RID OF ALL THE NEW SIGNINGS FROM THE PAST 3 TRANSFER WINDOWS, GET THE GOOD DOCTOR BACK, STUART PEARCE, CORRADI, DICKOV, IN FACT THE WHOLE RANGE OF HABITUAL LOSERS , LETS GO BACK TO THE "GOOD OLD DAYS" .GET THE SACKCLOTH AND ASHES OUT, CRAWL THROUGH THE STREETS OF MANCHESTER ON OUR KNEES.

C_T_I_D said:
To be honest Mike, lets put a different spin on it. If Richard Dunne had any respect for the club he just spent nine years at then he wouldn't have made these comments public and aired his views behind closed doors. To me it just makes him seem bitter at leaving at a club he knows will be superior to Aston Villa in the coming seasons and go on to compete for top honours. Manchester City have moved on and have better players than him at the club, he should have moved on too.

This!

I am so dissapointed that he felt the need to say anything really, its a good deal for all concerned and then he has to spoil it.........sad Richard very sad!

i dont as a rule come on here and slate our own but hey ho.

richard dunne`s form was not great last year, but as toure and lescott will find out, city`s biggest problem position has been at fullback, both left and right. the short comings of both fullbacks, havent help our centerbacks, and i do realise, especially the left back gets no assistance from robbie.

He had the choice to stay, Hughes made it clear he didn't have to and probably wouldn't get as many games as he wanted.

We gave him the opportunity to decide for himself, out of respect, and he made the choice. The fact that he was given the choice perhaps might have hurt him a bit, but I'd rather see Ned get the chances, as he is young and on the up, rather than Dunne, who has had his days and proved his worth already.

I am convinced that some City fans would rather us remain a 'mediocre' team and keep the so called loyal faves like Dunne. I on the other hand have wanted rid of him for years, he has held us back with his calamity performances for more than just last season. I am delighted he has gone and been replaced with proper defenders like Toure and Lescott.. They can get the big head and tackle in just like Dunne was 'loved and famed for' but the difference is these guys dont lose their man so easily, give away inumerate penalties, score twice as many goals in his own net as he did in the oppositions and get a 'wonderful' block in that falls into the path of the oncoming striker. Dont get me wrong he could have the odd magnificent game but its just not enough. Well done Hughes for seeing what many of us have seen for years, I applaud you

Whilst part of me is undoubtedly sad that a part of City's recent, inglorious history has been sold, I can see the merit in the decision and therefore think that, putting sentiment aside, it was the right choice to sell Dunnie.

Its clear that Toure and Lescott will be our first choice Central Defensive pairing this season, therefore any other Centre Backs will be providing back up.

The question should be, what type of players do you want to provide back up? Do you want:

a) a couple of young lads who have some decent premier league experience already, but still have a lot of development to do before they can be considered automatic first choices in the position. Players that can be given opprotunities during the season to be nurtured and who are considered the future of the Club going forward. If thats the case, Kompany (23) and Nedum (22) should be allowed a clear passage to the first team to get as many opportunities as they can behind the first choice pairing.

OR: b) a player on the verge of his 30th birthday, who may get a couple of opportunities to play in the first team over the next 2/3 seasons (at the expense of the younger lads who are the future of the club), and will then be moved on as the Club won't give him a new contract - therefore offering nothing except a hindrance to the development of the playing staff of the Club.

I know the latter seems harsh, but thats the reality of the situation. Emotions are running high with Dunnie's departure - and I feel as sad as the next City fan that a Club stalwart and modern era City legend has been moved on - but we shouldn't let that get in the way of the best move for the future of the Club. Keeping the player around 'for old times sake' and through sentiment when it will hinder the progress of the players who are our future would be a bad move for City, and the management are paid to make the best choices for the Club, not necessarily for us sentimental fans!

Damocles said:
Dear Management of City,

I have just seen an interview with Richard Dunne regarding his move to Aston Villa. It seems he never wanted to leave, and was forced out of the club because 'we needed the money'. He wanted to stay and fight for his place, to help us achieve something. He said that he still loves the club, the fans and would want to come back.
All the PR spin in the world doesn't cover the fact that you've just sold a player who wants to play, who is good enough (hence his appearences this season), and understood the soul of the club after been here for 4.5 times the length you have.

Go fuck yourself.

Thanks,
Damocles

i love the club too. perhaps they should let ME play for them. as others have already said, he's good but, not good enough for where we wanna go.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.