Richard Keys "City blow a fortune"

We have an image problem, in everything, if you read or listen to the bile that comes from the media.
How many English players are constant picks for any of the current top four.

Barca and Bayern could have put out half a team of home country regulars for several years.

I go to every game so I spend less time worrying about the media and say it as I see.

Walcott: bought from Southampton when they were in the Championship.
Oxlade Chamberlain: bought from Southampton when they were in League 1.
Chambers: bought from Southampton after 22 Premier League games.

Can't we just poach Southampton's youth scouts? When you throw in Bale, Lallana, Ward-Prowse etc they seem to be on top of the game.

Agree with quite a lot of what he said tbh particularly about the money wasted. Apart from fernandinho and to an extent demichelis no player has improved our starting 11 since we first on the league under Mancini.

Agree with quite a lot of what he said tbh particularly about the money wasted. Apart from fernandinho and to an extent demichelis no player has improved our starting 11 since we first on the league under Mancini.
And yet without the likes of Mangala,Navas and Bony we may not even have achieved a top 4 place this past season.

It's difficult when you're buying players ostensibly to improve the 'squad'. It's an interesting comment often made about the first XI not being any stronger than the one which won the league under Mancini. I'm not sure I totally agree with that. I think the squad which won the league a year or so ago was stronger for having Negredo over Balo and Navas or Sinclair/AJ and Fernandinho over Barry/NDJ.

This summer will be a much better barometer in terms of buying first XI players because - well - this summer we are clearly buying first XI players.

All the faults in this article stem from his original assertion that City should have bossed Europe and the Premier League for the next decade.

Well firstly, four consecutive top 2 places hardly constitute a disaster, especially as some of the original pieces in the jigsaw, (Tevez, and Balotelli in particular) were both a strength and a weakness)

We could have bought RVP, and perhaps shaped better in 2012-13, but since that campaign he’s reverted to type, and been forever injured. We certainly wouldn’t be in any better shape long term.

The Champions League is a different kettle of fish, quite simply because Barcelona, Real Madrid, and Bayern Munich have progressed beyond recognition, both on and off the field, when compared with the shambolic infighting that plagued their campaigns in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

During that period the rags had the corporate field to themselves, yet somehow only won the Champions League once. Indeed Keys might find more mileage in asking how despite being perennial favourites, United still contrived to lose to Dortmund, Monaco, Benfica, and Porto.

In fact apart from Liverpool (fluky penalties), United (fluky penalties) and Chelsea (incredibly fluky penalties) when did an English team last win the Champions League by skill alone?

On the pitch, we all love Zabaleta, Silva, and Kompany, but our only truly outstanding Champions League player, who regularly performs against Bayern or Barca, is Aguero. Apart from a fading Yaya, most of his teammates aren’t quite good enough for Champions League glory, and that also goes for Arsenal (only Sanchez) Chelsea (only Costa and perhaps Hazard), and the rags. (must be someone, but I can’t think of anybody)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.