Richard Keys "City blow a fortune"

Yeah, but that means you're at a big disadvantage if you can't register 8 home grown players. ATM, we can only register 3. That'd only give us a squad of 20, and that's including Richard Wright. I've gotta agree that it's pretty stupid that we've ended up in this situation. And now we're going to have to overpay for any home grown player we go for.

I wouldn't say stupid, I'd say unfortunate. Looking back over the last few years who would you have brought to the club to address this issue?

We offered Micah and Milner generous terms to stay but unfortunately both felt it was best for them to move on.

We tried signing squad players in Rodwell and Sinclair, that obviously didn't work out for reasons largely beyond the club's control.

There's very few association trained players out there that are good enough to play in our first XI and those that are were either unattainable or would've cost a small fortune which we couldn't afford with FFP hanging over us.

We were caught between a rock and a hard place whilst waiting for the academy to bridge the gap to the first team. Hopefully that wait is now over

Hart doesn't qualify as club trained PB. He wasn't at the club a full three years before turning 21 :(
Keys no doubt thinks that's Txiki's fault as well and wouldn't have happened had Bobby been here.

I wouldn't say stupid, I'd say unfortunate. Looking back over the last few years who would you have brought to the club to address this issue?

We offered Micah and Milner generous terms to stay but unfortunately both felt it was best for them to move on.

We tried signing squad players in Rodwell and Sinclair, that obviously didn't work out for reasons largely beyond the club's control.

There's very few association trained players out there that are good enough to play in our first XI and those that are were either unattainable or would've cost a small fortune which we couldn't afford with FFP hanging over us.

We were caught between a rock and a hard place whilst waiting for the academy to bridge the gap to the first team. Hopefully that wait is now over

You make fair points. However, why did our English players decide to be known as "the quota". The inference being they were only in the squad to make up the numbers.

This makes it harder to attract the few decent English players out there!

You make fair points. However, why did our English players decide to be known as "the quota". The inference being they were only in the squad to make up the numbers.

This makes it harder to attract the few decent English players out there!

Is that a fact that they referred to themselves that way?

I guess they must read the tabloids and watch s*y sports too.

Is that a fact that they referred to themselves that way?

I guess they must read the tabloids and watch s*y sports too.

Yes as recorded at the end of the 2013/14 season.

Maybe the players should have called themselves "the unfortunates" lol. Rodwell was unlucky with injuries but Macini left an injured Micah on the pitch that exacerbated a knee injury.

We have an image problem when it comes to English players that sunk further with Trippier's transfer to Spurs. The Club are trying to address this now.

Hopefully. But I think you have to look at Arsenal to see a good model. People think that Arsenal have brought all of these great youngsters through, but the reality is that they've only really brought through Gibbs and Wilshere. What they have done, however, is bought players early, before they were on the radar of most other teams, and got them much cheaper as a result (hopefully what we're now doing with Patrick Roberts).

Walcott: bought from Southampton when they were in the Championship.
Oxlade Chamberlain: bought from Southampton when they were in League 1.
Ramsey: bought from Cardiff when they were in the Championship.
Chambers: bought from Southampton after 22 Premier League games.

The last time we did something similar was with Adam Johnson, and it turned out pretty well, at least for a while. He certainly wasn't horribly out of his depth. Obviously it'd be fair to point out that we've won a lot more than Arsenal by not having this policy. Part of the reason they were able to give these youngsters game time to develop them properly is because that they were going for 4th place, and not the title every year. And it was at least partially forced by their financial restrictions, which since being lifted, have seen them buying world class players that will restrict any opportunities for youngsters. As always, it's a balancing act, but I think there are plenty of homegrown players that could have done at least as good a job as Fernando, Garcia, Sagna, etc. Off the top of my head, Delph's contract was running down last season. A little word to his agent and we could have got him for free. Not a world beater, but he'd be a decent squad member. But I think being able to spot talent really early, particularly in the lower leagues is pretty important, because as soon as someone has a big season in the Premier League, their price becomes ridiculous. But there's no point buying them if you can't give them an opportunity. So hopefully when the academy starts bearing fruit, we can relax this policy of having two experienced players for every position. It would be great if Boyata was replaced by Denayer, Jovetic was replaced by Iheanacho and Milner was replaced by Lopes.

Yes as recorded at the end of the 2013/14 season.

Maybe the players should have called themselves "the unfortunates" lol. Rodwell was unlucky with injuries but Macini left an injured Micah on the pitch that exacerbated a knee injury.

We have an image problem when it comes to English players that sunk further with Trippier's transfer to Spurs. The Club are trying to address this now.

We have an image problem, in everything, if you read or listen to the bile that comes from the media.
How many English players are constant picks for any of the current top four.

Personally I think the sooner we get our business done the sooner certain elements disappear off the forum. There's a window of opportunity they have to express their insecurity which is going to close on their necks if they're not careful as Txiki begins to land his targets.

I'm sure Txiki and Co. don't sleep at night worrying about what Bluemoon posters say about our transfer dealings.

Dear God!

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.