RIP Terry Hall

The ghostly flute and organ, the warning brass, and the mournful bass, Ghost Town remains an incredible piece of music. It sounds different today, almost cartoonish, but when you heard those opening bars in 1981, they had a sinister air of menace. RIP.

Its time at #1 was bookended by Shaking Stevens and Michael Jackson - it was utterly different and utterly brilliant.

My younger brother hasn't popped his clogs just yet.
In fact he's in very good health and just returned from 2 weeks in Barbados .
I was just pointing out that he was born the day after Terry Hall and 2 days after Irene Cara.
Good to hear it.

Loved the music they made but typical of Bragg to just not concentrate on the sound that everyone (well near everyone) liked. At the time I thought they were brilliant without the political angle and I still think they are brilliant.
Bragg doesn’t mention ‘political’ in that tweet, only cultural, and most of the artists releasing via 2-Tone were making a strong socio-cultural statement. I guess it’s difficult for us now looking back to disentangle the political from the socio-cultural, but at that time the whole sound and look was radically different.

RIP Terry Hall, another sad loss.

They’re happening a bit too frequently for my liking.

Bragg doesn’t mention ‘political’ in that tweet, only cultural, and most of the artists releasing via 2-Tone were making a strong socio-cultural statement. I guess it’s difficult for us now looking back to disentangle the political from the socio-cultural, but at that time the whole sound and look was radically different.

I really was old enough to notice mate but again I just liked the music, the one thing that pisses me off about music is the overthinking of it, you either like it or you don't it's a personal thing taste.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.