RIP Terry Hall

Couldn't believe this when I saw it on the news this morning. 63 is no f***ing age.
Must admit nearly shedding a tear listening to his stuff today.
I'll forgive him for being a rag.
Loved his deadpan delivery & perceptive lyrics across Specials, FB3, Colourfield & more. All have stood the test of time and are of our time.
RIP Terry.

Absolutely loved The Specials when I was growing up and there's no doubt that Terry was a very talented musician.

Not wanting to derail the thread Tim but it has to be said that Terry brought some of that shit on himself at times. I saw The Specials at V Festival in 2009 and was shocked to hear him have a cheap dig at the Leeds fans who got stabbed to death in Istanbul - "Leeds fans - do one. Galatasaray fans - you lot are ok and can stay". Even Neville Staple pulled him up on it - "What the fuck's that about?" Thankfully, Terry shut up after that and got on with doing what he did best.
Just started to read the thread and one of the first posts was the above.The wonder of social media. Always someone who will pick a hole in someone's life.Jerry Dammers, Two Tone were iconic. As if you I or anyone else never said or did the wrong thing in life. Balance life, good against bad,but when you die there is no need to trawl up unpleasantness unless an evil person which he was not. Show respect and appreciate the joy Terry brought to many. A message to you Terry. Thanks,you somehow got a shy young man on the dance floor.RIP.

Last edited:
Just started to read the thread and one of the first posts was the above.The wonder of social media. Always someone who will pick a hole in someone's life.Jerry Dammers, Two Tone were iconic. As if you I or anyone else never said or did the wrong thing in life. Balance life, good against bad,but when you die there is no need to trawl up unpleasantness unless an evil person which he was not. Show respect and appreciate the joy Terry brought to many. A message to you Terry. Thanks,you somehow got a shy young man on the dance floor.RIP.
True enough. I’d be a lying bastard if I said I’d never come out with anything offensive in my life, particularly around football matches. Many of us guilty parties do kind of mellow out as we get older though and my days of mocking football tragedies ended in my early 30s. At the time of said incident, Terry was 50 years of age and doing it to an audience of thousands rather than down the pub or on the terraces with his mates wasn’t exactly the wisest move and if you read the rest of my post, I’m a huge fan of his music and The Specials just like you. Something like that - despite crossing the line - didn’t put me off wanting to go and see him again.

I’ve recounted this story on here before, but I think it’s appropriate to retell it here.

I spent a year in Finland from September 1981 to August 1982, but before travelling there, I had to visit the Finnish embassy to acquire my residence visa and work permit.

I went up to stay with my aunt and her family in Northamptonshire for a week in early July. On the Tuesday, I went to the Royal Show at Stoneleigh with my cousin and his then-girlfriend, and on the way back to his parents house, we listened to the repeat of the new chart, that had first been announced around midday, and I was delighted that Ghost Town was the new No. 1.

I travelled back to Cornwall on the following Sunday. I think I left around 6:00, and as I was driving down the A45 towards the M4, I saw a police car across the road and as I approached the vehicle, a policeman waved me down. He asked me where I’d come from and where I was heading.

After I’d explained, he told me that he and his colleagues were looking for the ringleaders of the riots, but I didn’t look the type and he allowed me to go on my way.

When I rang my auntie to let her know that I’d arrived home, she was intrigued to hear about my encounter with the law.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.