Rishi Sunak

The problem with taking bank bailouts in to account is they were guarantees rather than actual money spent.

Government debt is way too high because for the last 15 years we’ve had some real shocks and a lot of folk with their hand out wanting the government to pay for stuff or guarantee it. As a country we are in a challenging situation.
doesn't help the debt when the Government has had its hands in the till, squirelling tax payers money for their own personal gains

Why May 2nd?
Someone I know in a council, got sent a letter regarding staffing arrangements for a Police and Crime Commissioner election on that date. In the letter it states that there are 6 areas to work on including;
Unscheduled General Election Count (2100-0700) and Standby for Extended General Election Count (Friday 3rd 0800-1600).

The problem with taking bank bailouts in to account is they were guarantees rather than actual money spent.

Government debt is way too high because for the last 15 years we’ve had some real shocks and a lot of folk with their hand out wanting the government to pay for stuff or guarantee it. As a country we are in a challenging situation.
So nothing to do with government policy or decisions? Just victims of circumstance?

Someone I know in a council, got sent a letter regarding staffing arrangements for a Police and Crime Commissioner election on that date. In the letter it states that there are 6 areas to work on including;
Unscheduled General Election Count (2100-0700) and Standby for Extended General Election Count (Friday 3rd 0800-1600).

2/1 on Betfair for an Election between April and June.

So nothing to do with government policy or decisions? Just victims of circumstance?

Government debt ballooned in 2010-2012 (the so called Great Recession due to the depth and lack of the recovery), was largely stagnant until 2020 when it again went up again (covid). These two events moved debt as a ratio to GDP from around 40% pre financial crisis to 80% post crisis (for reference was 65% when the coalition took power) - then to 97.5% in with covid. Believe it or not neither of these increases were down to government policy - there is an argument that the response to this deep recession was the wrong one (austerity) and inhibited growth which by default reduces the debt/GDP ratio however the evidence is weak with evidence supporting that not following these measures will have had the exact opposite effects and made matters worse. People tend to decide which was the right approach based on their political leanings on economics rather than being able to conclude without dispute the better approach. All we know is what was done and happened.

Anyway enough ramblings from me, you inferred you see it’s as purely political policies taken by the government so specifically which government policies in this period are you referring to as being anywhere near as impactful as the financial crisis (and resultant recession) and Covid?

Government debt ballooned in 2010-2012 (the so called Great Recession due to the depth and lack of the recovery), was largely stagnant until 2020 when it again went up again (covid). These two events moved debt as a ratio to GDP from around 40% pre financial crisis to 80% post crisis (for reference was 65% when the coalition took power) - then to 97.5% in with covid. Believe it or not neither of these increases were down to government policy - there is an argument that the response to this deep recession was the wrong one (austerity) and inhibited growth which by default reduces the debt/GDP ratio however the evidence is weak with evidence supporting that not following these measures will have had the exact opposite effects and made matters worse. People tend to decide which was the right approach based on their political leanings on economics rather than being able to conclude without dispute the better approach. All we know is what was done and happened.

Anyway enough ramblings from me, you inferred you see it’s as purely political policies taken by the government so specifically which government policies in this period are you referring to as being anywhere near as impactful as the financial crisis (and resultant recession) and Covid?
It’s not purely political. Circumstances and events certainly have a significant impact however the government response to those events can’t be ignored, and whilst you believe that the evidence is weak that austerity failed, I would say that a comparison with peers demonstrates fairly clearly that it was the wrong policy for the long term.

doesn't help the debt when the Government has had its hands in the till, squirelling tax payers money for their own personal gains

There are questions that need answering for sure, particularly around covid and some PPE contracts. Given it’s taken what 3 odd years? for that lords lass to be held to account I’m not holding my breath here. I don’t know how much appetite there even is in Labour to throw money at investigating it thoroughly.

The tories will be out of power next election, that’s probably the only justice we will see for those who haven’t been entirely honest.

There are questions that need answering for sure, particularly around covid and some PPE contracts. Given it’s taken what 3 odd years? for that lords lass to be held to account I’m not holding my breath here. I don’t know how much appetite there even is in Labour to throw money at investigating it thoroughly.

The tories will be out of power next election, that’s probably the only justice we will see for those who haven’t been entirely honest.
I would imagine any new government would ideally want to ride a wave of positivity, but the Tories have shown us that you can get away with blaming the 'last lot' as a political tool for quite some time.

I wonder if, given whoever wins the election there won't be much money, it's in Labou'r's interest to really go for the jugular, and have a full audit of just how fucked things are.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.