Rishi Sunak

It’s not purely political. Circumstances and events certainly have a significant impact however the government response to those events can’t be ignored, and whilst you believe that the evidence is weak that austerity failed, I would say that a comparison with peers demonstrates fairly clearly that it was the wrong policy for the long term.

I don’t think there is clear evidence per-se but I can’t argue with your viewpoint on this.

I would imagine any new government would ideally want to ride a wave of positivity, but the Tories have shown us that you can get away with blaming the 'last lot' as a political tool for quite some time.

I wonder if, given whoever wins the election there won't be much money, it's in Labou'r's interest to really go for the jugular, and have a full audit of just how fucked things are.

I hope it happens. For the good of politics in this country it needs to.

Labour have already stated that they will have a PPE/pandemic commission if they get in and any wrong doing will be dealt with appropriately.
Which will no doubt, be greeted with howls from sections of the previous government about witch-hunts and ‘did their best’ and moving -on, and getting the big calls right.
The polar opposite of their latest assault on those they think may be avoiding tax at the bottom levels.

Which will no doubt, be greeted with howls from sections of the previous government about witch-hunts and ‘did their best’ and moving -on, and getting the big calls right.
The polar opposite of their latest assault on those they think may be avoiding tax at the bottom levels.
Sunak would rather go after, and alienate those who are scraping a few quid together just to get by rather than 1 billionaire whose single tax dodge would compensate for all those people selling a few old clothes on Vinted.

Wankers and shithouses, the fucking lot of them!

If only there was something to discuss.

I would genuinely love to see what they have achieved over 13+ years. I think most past governments of all persuasions could come up with a few things, but I'm genuinely flummoxed with the current Government.

I've seen a list with Getting Brexit Done on it, but the longer away we get from that the more polling suggests even its supporters don't believe it got done.

Free school meals - but that was the Lib Dems insisting.

A few Tory MPs have lists, but they mostly appear to be bigging up a slow increase in services to levels below where they started.

Genuinely interested if people can add to the list.
Vaccines.

Vaccines.
I'm mixed on this.

We still ended up with the highest death rate in Western Europe, so being a few months ahead of some other countries with the initial vaccines is not exactly a badge of honour. It was one aspect of Covid that they didn't mess up, but to get the vaccine first, and still end up with a higher death rate is shocking considering we're on an island.

I'd also be interested to see just how much of this was down to the Tories. I don't think it's going to be covered by the inquiry till much later, and given what we've seen so far, would it be a total surprise to find out that they got lucky.

I'm mixed on this.

We still ended up with the highest death rate in Western Europe, so being a few months ahead of some other countries with the initial vaccines is not exactly a badge of honour. It was one aspect of Covid that they didn't mess up, but to get the vaccine first, and still end up with a higher death rate is shocking considering we're on an island.

I'd also be interested to see just how much of this was down to the Tories. I don't think it's going to be covered by the inquiry till much later, and given what we've seen so far, would it be a total surprise to find out that they got lucky.
My post was very firmly with tongue in cheek.

I'm mixed on this.

We were similar to most northern European countries on vaccines. A bit faster to start, slower to finish. Good but not exceptional.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.