Rishi Sunak

Medicine is a process of elimination - your GP (or practice physio who you’d most likely see for something like back pain) will likely prescribe pain relief anyway as a first port of call. Only if that didn’t help would they look at other potential causes. I’m sure the pharmacist would sign post people to their GPs if the symptoms persisted.
Boils down to this for me, if people want to use a pharmacist as first port of call, fine it isn't new it's always happened, if we want allow a pharmicist to prescibe a few more medicines again fine.
However if it's being used as an alternative to policies on retaining, recruiting, training more GPs , and solving those problems, then it won't work and is another misguided policy / gimmick from a government that won't take the decisions that will fix a failing health service.

List of ailments as you state.

• Sinusitis
• Sore throat
• Earache
• Infected insect bites
• Impetigo
• Shingles
• Uncomplicated urinary tract infections in women under 65
So no open heart surgery or kidney transplants then?

That will come as a bit of a shock for a few on here.

So no open heart surgery or kidney transplants then?

That will come as a bit of a shock for a few on here.
Shingles needs to be looked at , it is mostly over the ribs , in a private room with no chaperone i am not letting someone with no medical training examine me . Also i have already posted about the uti problem , they cant examine you to see if it is uncomplicated or is spreading to the kidneys , most of the rest they have been doing for years along with all the basic conditions , it is being lauded as more than it is

Shingles needs to be looked at , it is mostly over the ribs , in a private room with no chaperone i am not letting someone with no medical training examine me . Also i have already posted about the uti problem , they cant examine you to see if it is uncomplicated or is spreading to the kidneys , most of the rest they have been doing for years along with all the basic conditions , it is being lauded as more than it is
The policy is about introducing a degree of choice for people with minor ailments with the intention of reducing some of the pressures on GP appointments. Allowing pharmacists to make prescriptions for things like earache, so on, I can’t see the problem with it. And it’s entirely about choice, not restricting who can see a GP.

I don’t think anybody is suggesting that the initiative is going to remove all the pressures at a stroke as in reality nothing could. It may help at the margin, and therefore it’s worth doing.

The policy is about introducing a degree of choice for people with minor ailments with the intention of reducing some of the pressures on GP appointments. Allowing pharmacists to make prescriptions for things like earache, so on, I can’t see the problem with it. And it’s entirely about choice, not restricting who can see a GP.

I don’t think anybody is suggesting that the initiative is going to remove all the pressures at a stroke as in reality nothing could. It may help at the margin, and therefore it’s worth doing.
The policy is barely new as some pharmacists have been perscribing limited antibiotics for ages , they are few and far between so chances are you will never meet one . As my post there are things on the list that they cant do , not saying dont expand the pharmacy role but sunak saying it is new and will end the 08.00 struggle for gp appts is a bare faced lie

Boils down to this for me, if people want to use a pharmacist as first port of call, fine it isn't new it's always happened, if we want allow a pharmicist to prescibe a few more medicines again fine.
However if it's being used as an alternative to policies on retaining, recruiting, training more GPs , and solving those problems, then it won't work and is another misguided policy / gimmick from a government that won't take the decisions that will fix a failing health service.

I think that’s fair. Ideally you’d have your GP receptionist be able to make you an appointment with the pharmacist as well as the GP, practice nurse, or practice physio they currently do and it all go on your medical notes etc. Unfortunately I think that’s some way away as GPs typically use one of three systems - only one of which I think is used by hospitals (but far from all hospitals). Pharmacies probably don’t use any of the same systems as the GP.

You’d think it common sense to get everyone using one system (although post office sub masters may disagree with that principle). The problem is both GPs and Pharmacies are private businesses so it’s harder for government to legislate and get them all using the same system.

It’s a national service that is deeply disjointed and largely run as fiefdoms so change is about as likely as Elvis being found alive and well on the moon.

There are far far worse things the snide rat faced **** and his cronies have been up to recently to be getting het up about than this tbh.
In a perfect world this would just be about having a bit of common sense but common sense doesn’t seem overly, err, common these days.

TBF I doubt too many people would think of going to pharmacist so even if it is a rehash (not sure it is or isn’t) if it makes people more aware of it as an option then it’s a worthwhile “announcement”.

I’ll just pull you up when you say they have no medical training, that is a little unfair. Part of their qualification includes clinical examination skills.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.