Rishi Sunak

I wonder if future generations will treat him kinder? Was he a boy before his time? Would the world be a better place if we were patient, let him grow and have his ears pinned back. I'm guessing we will never know.
I've said it before. He is a somewhat competent politician in a party full of idiots and loonies. Johnson promoted him to do the hard work he couldn't be bothered to do and when BJ was replaced with Truss she tanked the economy. Rishy and Hunt were parachuted back in to calm the markets. 2 of last remotely intelligent and competent tories.

Sunak is not the tory problem. The fact he is the best they have is the tory problem and given the choice the membership would prefer an absolute clown.

I've said it before. He is a somewhat competent politician in a party full of idiots and loonies. Johnson promoted him to do the hard work he couldn't be bothered to do and when BJ was replaced with Truss she tanked the economy. Rishy and Hunt were parachuted back in to calm the markets. 2 of last remotely intelligent and competent tories.

Sunak is not the tory problem. The fact he is the best they have is the tory problem and given the choice the membership would prefer an absolute clown.
He's spineless and, in my book that doesn't make him a good leader or politician

I can’t remember who it was, but think it might have been a former Tory on the Rest is Politics podcast. They said if this was the Thatcher administration, Sunak would be a middling junior minister. Capable of following the party line and not bumping into the furniture as long as he’s not actually asked to do anything. It’s really hard to disagree with that assessment.

The Conservatives these days are bereft of actual talent, and I think it’s a result of decades of nepotism, cronyism and a culture of people failing upwards.

I don’t know if politics in general is in a much better state. If we want the best and brightest running for office we are certainly not achieving that objective currently. Our best and brightest either get sucked up by London City - many of whom earn more than MPs straight out of the gate so why wouldn’t they? - move abroad or just whither on the vine from lack of opportunity. Being an MP is a thankless career unless you use it as leverage for other sources of income, so it’s not a surprise that this is the kind of person we get.

I can’t remember who it was, but think it might have been a former Tory on the Rest is Politics podcast. They said if this was the Thatcher administration, Sunak would be a middling junior minister. Capable of following the party line and not bumping into the furniture as long as he’s not actually asked to do anything. It’s really hard to disagree with that assessment.

The Conservatives these days are bereft of actual talent, and I think it’s a result of decades of nepotism, cronyism and a culture of people failing upwards.

I don’t know if politics in general is in a much better state. If we want the best and brightest running for office we are certainly not achieving that objective currently. Our best and brightest either get sucked up by London City - many of whom earn more than MPs straight out of the gate so why wouldn’t they? - move abroad or just whither on the vine from lack of opportunity. Being an MP is a thankless career unless you use it as leverage for other sources of income, so it’s not a surprise that this is the kind of person we get.
Nail firmly hit on head

The Johnson/Brexit purge has left them with an awful lot of new MPs, many of whom were not up to the job and plainly not vetted properly for wrong 'unness.

The impression is that they view it as an option for greed/fame, and I think the point of City wages is important here (the same is stripping the civil service's best, not helped by the vindictive approach of the current government to having independent civil servants).

I do think that the main party machines with their selection processes is hamstringing them - the range of people coming in is filtered and lends to party wonks and less people who have had other jobs.

It would certainly seem helpful to revise the plans - no MP to be elected aged over 70 or 75 to start with; I'm not sold on under-30s being up to the demands either. A lower age limit would encourage people to do something else too.

He's spineless and, in my book that doesn't make him a good leader or politician
True but he's better than Liz Truss.

That is what the tories have to offer. A pm who was given the job on the basis the prior pm tanked the economy and resigned in disgrace. He's unpopular in his own party, he's the end result of the disastrous decision they made so no surprise his campaign is piss poor.

There's nothing competent about him as a statesman. He belongs in a boardroom poring over spreadsheets and pie charts, which is where he'll be in about six weeks time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.