Riyad Mahrez - 2018/2019 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
His game needs to change though. At Leicester he was playing on the brake with Vardy, his job was run it up and give it vardy, or run in to space for the out ball and between him and vardy it would be 5 touches and a shot. We play nothing like that, he has to pass pass pass. It will come. He has great technique and can beat most full backs one on one. He just needs toi work out how and when to use his skill set. He will come good.

exactly like you say people need too give him time. this time next year they can complain if he still has not come good

You definitely haven't watched him then if this is what you truly thinks about him.
Ive seen Sancho play about fifty 90 minute games. To suggest he has no game intelligence is laughable. His weight of pass and lack of selfishness is exactly why he gets so many assists. It's also why he benched Pulisic. He's raw, yes, but he's 18. He's phenomenal for his age. His only weakness is that sometimes he fancies his own dribbling a tad too much. That's age. Even then, that often isn't a problem and he redeems himself with a brilliant one two, through ball or assist.

LOL both of you serious? watch the below video and tell me where he shows this great game intelligence. its full of pacy play and counter attacks. I wouldn't call that intelligence, but it works and is enough in dortmund. In a pep team no chance. i can see him wasting so many good chances in the video for my liking. there is a reason pep let him go without a fight because he would look amateurish in our team.

Also, there is absolutely no one in our academy teams anywhere near Sancho at the moment. Not even close.

I consider rabbi matondo to be superior talent to sancho. I think he will be the next raheem sterling and would be disappointed if he leaves unlike sancho. dont believe me watch the below video. he has far more intelligence than sancho and will be a great fit in a pep team.

It’s weird as I remember when he was at Leicester how dangerous he looked every time I watched him play, and against us he used to rip our left backs to pieces.

Now I watch him, and it’s painful how predictable he is, and he seems incapable of going past a player.

Strange.

Yea he was a constant threat. I maintain that the reason he is predictable is because he is not himself yet. Pep demands a lot from his players and we play a completely different style to Leicester. Who was it Bernardo or Sane that said it took something like 6-7 months for him to begin to get used to Pep’s football.

That’s why Mahrez is overthinking imo. Despite these demands he scored and assisted in many many games.

As time goes on Mahrez will get better and better, he’ll reach top form and will be even better than at Leicester as he will have had learned a lot from Pep. I’m sure of it. Bernardo is only one clear example night and day compared to last season.

LOL both of you serious? watch the below video and tell me where he shows this great game intelligence. its full of pacy play and counter attacks. I wouldn't call that intelligence, but it works and is enough in dortmund. In a pep team no chance. i can see him wasting so many good chances in the video for my liking. there is a reason pep let him go without a fight because he would look amateurish in our team.

I consider rabbi matondo to be superior talent to sancho. I think he will be the next raheem sterling and would be disappointed if he leaves unlike sancho. dont believe me watch the below video. he has far more intelligence than sancho and will be a great fit in a pep team.

Hi Mrs Matondo, unfortunately your son is nowhere near the level of Sancho, and it’s not even close. But thanks for giving me the biggest laugh I’ve had in a while.

Yea he was a constant threat. I maintain that the reason he is predictable is because he is not himself yet. Pep demands a lot from his players and we play a completely different style to Leicester. Who was it Bernardo or Sane that said it took something like 6-7 months for him to begin to get used to Pep’s football.

That’s why Mahrez is overthinking imo. Despite these demands he scored and assisted in many many games.

As time goes on Mahrez will get better and better, he’ll reach top form and will be even better than at Leicester as he will have had learned a lot from Pep. I’m sure of it. Bernardo is only one clear example night and day compared to last season.
With Bernie though, he was coming to a new country and league. I just expected Mahrez’s adjustment to be quicker.

With Bernie though, he was coming to a new country and league. I just expected Mahrez’s adjustment to be quicker.

Me too but he’s been alright. 8 goals 6 assists, scored in all 4 competitions. Has had Motm performances as well as average to bad ones.

Not perfect but can’t really expect more. If he reproduces these numbers in the second half it will have been a really good first season.

Could of had easily had 5 goals and 5 assists more. Missed penalty, how many shots have been just outside the post most recently against Soton. Remember him putting it at least twice on a plate for Aguero in one game. Etc he obviously needs to improve though and I think he will soon.

I don't need to watch a video. I saw his first game for City in the flesh and I've seen him countless times. If you've watched Matondo for a single 90 minutes id be surprised. The fact that you couldnt remember his name beforehand kinda proves that. As talented as he is, he's a level below Sancho/Foden/Brahim IMO. Not far off and very talented, but a little headless at times and mainly pace. I'd love him to be City's level now but he isn't. I'm sorry but you're just wrong. I honestly doubt youve seen anything more than a youtube highlights reel. Matondo is not even close to Sancho. It's crazy to suggest otherwise.

I think if you look closely there's a pattern that's emerged with pretty much every City attacker under Pep at some point. Before Pep showed up/they were signed by Pep, they were these extremely high skill players with technical potential to rival the best.

But after decent starts, they all went through spells of losing that flair, subsequently becoming weaker players for us. However, almost as if by design, these periods coincide with these players becoming more functional for us; they start developing into better players for the team.

Then, later on, they start to come back out of their shell and now are both functional to the team and exciting flair players like you thought they were.

Basically, I'm pretty sure Pep has them cut out a lot of the super-exciting stuff until he's sure they understand and are able to play the right way. Then they're back on it.

Sterling being the prime example, but Sané, Bernardo, Jesus, Aguero (to an extent), and somehow Fernandinho have all gone through or are still going through this process. There were even signs Mendy was cutting out his more attacking elements in favour of functional play too prior to his injury.

I think whilst Mahrez adapts we're not going to see the full him. Think about how many times he's probably had to ask himself, 'Do I do my thing or Guardiola's thing?' when in a good position. That's not what a player in full flow probably has to worry about.

I can't say for certain that he'll work out. But given the trends that seem to reoccur in this squad I think we should give him time.

I don't need to watch a video. I saw his first game for City in the flesh and I've seen him countless times. If you've watched Matondo for a single 90 minutes id be surprised. The fact that you couldnt remember his name beforehand kinda proves that. As talented as he is, he's a level below Sancho/Foden/Brahim IMO. Not far off and very talented, but a little headless at times and mainly pace. I'd love him to be City's level now but he isn't. I'm sorry but you're just wrong. I honestly doubt youve seen anything more than a youtube highlights reel. Matondo is not even close to Sancho. It's crazy to suggest otherwise.

anyway the topic here is not how good matondo is compared to sancho. its how brahim and sancho are nowhere near to be our squad players let alone our bench. the difference between mahrez, sterling and brahim ,sancho is staggering. comparatively foden is much more closer to say gundogon. there is a reason pep let the two go and let foden stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.