Riyad Mahrez - 2018/2019 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mahrez this year is like Sane or Bernardo in their first year. Lets see how good he becomes under Pep, I dont think any of our players recently have stepped straight into the first team as the finished article, it usually does take a bit of work from Pep
Sorry mate, can't be doing with this common sense stuff

Not specifically aimed at you but why is it assumed that any new purchase has to land running, and if they dont they are shit? Why not let new players have at least a season to bed in, particularly when having to adapt to a completely new system.

Mahrez this year is like Sane or Bernardo in their first year. Lets see how good he becomes under Pep, I dont think any of our players recently have stepped straight into the first team as the finished article, it usually does take a bit of work from Pep

Sorry mate, can't be doing with this common sense stuff

Have to say it's hillarious seeing all these common sense posts about Mahrez needing 6 months to understand the system and fit in when I got shot down for saying the exact same thing in June.

In fact I seem to remember you in particular @mosssideblue telling me I was wrong and he'd take to it "like a duck to water".

He is noticeably further behind than Sané though, who had his big, "everything clicks" breakthrough in early December against Arsenal and Bernardo started getting big appearances in December/January too, after previously getting 10-20 minute cameos. And those 2 had a lot more adapting to do having moved from foreign countries and Sané's English not being great at the start.

Last edited:
Have to say it's hillarious seeing all these common sense posts about Mahrez needing 6 months to understand the system and fit in when I got shot down for saying the exact same thing in June.

In fact I seem to remember you in particular @mosssideblue telling me I was wrong and he'd take to it "like a duck to water".

He is noticeably further behind than Sané though, who had his big, "everything clicks" breakthrough in early December against Arsenal and Bernardo started getting big appearances in December/January too, after previously getting 10-20 minute cameos. And those 2 had a lot more adapting to do having moved from foreign countries and Sané's English not being great at the start.
Think you have the wrong person there bud, I dont ever recall saying that. Quite the opposite in fact

Think you have the wrong person there bud, I dont ever recall saying that. Quite the opposite in fact

It was in the Sterling contract thread when you were talking about how Sterling would be on the bench watching Mahrez all this season and would never get the £300k contract he wanted.

That exchange back in June wasn't actually my main point though. The main point is that Mahrez is taking longer to fit into the side, despite the obviously huge advantage of being familiar with the league and language, and the fact he's 27 not a kid like the other two.

He should have taken less time, not more, and now we're getting to the business end of the season and we have to try and win 4 competitions he needs to start performing not just like a decent squad player, but like the world class player, POTY he was billed as.

Last edited:
It was in the Sterling contract thread when you were talking about how Sterling would be on the bench watching Mahrez all this season and would never get the £300k contract he wanted.
You are confusing the hell out of me. What has that got to do with Mahrez needing time to settle into his new environment?

That exchange back in June wasn't actually my main point though. The main point is that Mahrez is taking longer to fit into the side, despite the obviously huge advantage of being familiar with the league and language, and the fact he's 27 not a kid like the other two.

He should have taken less time, not more, and now we're getting to the business end of the season and we have to try and win 4 competitions he needs to start performing not just like a decent squad player, but like the world class player, POTY he was billed as.
Again, without seeing the post, I think you have the wrong horse

Show me the post as I dont recall
Interesting thread read. Im not saying it was mosside but a few posters were singing Mahrez's praises very highly before he joined and I recall one or possibly two saying He would fit right in. The problem is not Peps system it's a lack of confidence especially out wide. He should have taken the opportunity to stake his claim against Burton and demonstrate his abilities. Instead aside from a couple of skilful moments he was pretty average or worse and so predictable when trying to break down a team sitting deep defensively. He had a great season at Leicester possibly as they played on the counter that season they won the PL. He was clearly trying to come infield at any opportunity vs Burton. Not sure what the answer is, lack of confidence maybe. Hopefully pep can sort it out as £60 is a lot of money for a squad player.

The thing that concerns me is I think he signed a 5 year deal presumably on big wages. It won’t be easy to move him on if it doesn’t work out for him here. I’m still hopeful he can produce the goods. He is in his peak years now so needs to show us his worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.