Riyad Mahrez - 2018/2019 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is the best RW we have right now, therefore he should continue start there until he settle and get back to his best.

He's not had a great start at all but it does bode well that we will have Kevin and Mahrez firing us on post Christmas

If Kevin is only coming back post Christmas and Mahrez can’t find form, we can wave goodbye to retaining the title.

I think its a case of him not gelling in yet. I think for him maybe to miss a few games might be good for him. We play Fulham next play him there at home see how he gets on and take him out in the next 2 games. I would love to see the training sessions in the build up to the next squad. You got a lot of players missing out on a place on the bench. Love to see how him and Sane and Bernardo preform and who gets the nod there and who is on the bench. We will slowly see rotation in the team once the champions league starts but we still need to get the mix right.

Ederson
Walker Stones Laporte Mendy
Bernardo Gundogan Silva
Sterling Aguero Mahrez

Team I would play v Fulham. Have sterling and Mahrez interchanging, let Mendy have the width on the left.

He is one of a few issues we have. Pep does not fully trust Mendy defensively yet so does not allow Mahrez to come wide left, which is where he would be more effective I think. Sterling has been a lot better wide left this season amd supports Mendy defensively more than Mahrez might. Pep trusts Walker to cope with the lack of support from Mahrez more.

Both full backs overlapped but not with quite the same gusto as we have seen. It felt like they were on a bit of a leash to be in position for a counter attack. Fernandinho was so isolated in the middle and covering so much ground. Jesus and Aguero were not quite on the same wave length.

The formation and lineup works better with Bernardo and Silva in there. It is about finding pockets of space and quick passing to then play the ball into runners. Newcastle did well to block space in the middle and force us wide where largely we will struggle if they mark the space because Aguero and Jesus will not beat many in the air.

It was a game where several were not quite on it. Jesus and Aguero did not combine as well as against Huddersfield and the gaps behind when we lost the ball were huge. Bernardo adds more balance. So does Gundogan. To play both you drop Jesus and Mahrez. To play one (Bernardo) you drop Mahrez for me.

Without De Bruyne we lose a hell of a lot of energy in the middle. He presses relentlessly and is quick to cover the pitch defensively. Without him we will struggle. Gundogan doesn't have the same energy or pace. Only Delph would fill that gap but obviously lacks the same quality on the ball. I am surprised we haven't seen him tried out there though. Purely to balance the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.