Riyad Mahrez - 2018/2019 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope last night is a platform for him to go on and place himself alongside the other senior midfield/forward players (Silva, KDB, Aguero). It's a big ask but that's what you spend the money for.

He is stronger than I thought, also quite a bit better when we don't have the ball. But the decision making and concentration could improve. I don't think I'd ever have called it attitude. Mentality, perhaps.

Mahrez adds a new dimension to our attack. I was (extremely) skeptical about his signing - but his play on the wing is... well... world class. He can beat his man on the dribble; he can deliver a killer cross; he can score on the wing if left open - if covered tightly he can beat his man and score from close range.

If Mahrez can commit himself fully to Pep's system and will consistently contribute to our press and will maintain concentration throughout games to eliminate silly offsides... well, I'll stop short of saying he could be our best player (KDB is best for me, and hard to see him eclipsing Silva so long as age doesn't catch him up) - but he'd be a damn close third/second.

I do not think we need to start playing stats "Top Trumps" between our players and those of the dippers even though we would win that comfortably at the moment. I would like to see Mahrez notch a few assists as he has none to date and often seems to be shooting when there are other options available. I am very pleased with his recent progress but think that he still has more work to do to become the player Pep wants him to be

Etihad player of the month.

Very well done Riyad,a player of lesser character may have crumbled under recent pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.