robin van persie (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
jlc09 said:
Surprised Barca aren't in for him really. I know Villa still has to come back but they are crying out for more help for Messi and RVP could fit their style comfortably. It's amazing how reliant they are on Messi in the final third(I know we were the same with RVP but this is Barcelona) and I think it's part of the reason they failed in both big competitions last year. Much preferred their attack with Messi/Henry/Eto'o or even Villa/Messi/Pedro.

Money issus perhaps but wouldnt exactly need to break the bank - Barca are like United, they'll always find the money if they really want the player.

this

Marvin said:
jlc09 said:
Marvin said:
yet for 6 out of 8 seasons RVP scored average 8 League goals a season. How do you explain that?

Dzeko won the Bundesliga for Wolfsburg. And now he has won the Premier League at City.

John O'Shea has medals too.

For Van Persie, a combination of injuries and his role in the squad in his early seasons meant he wasnt prolific. People forget that RVP wasnt bought as a central striker but more of supporting forward from left wing or deeper. The stats in his first two seasons are misleading, he was a sub as much as he started as we had Henry, Bergkamp and Reyes up front, RVP played off the wing at times too. Was only really from 2007 onwards he became a certain starter and when he was on the pitch, he was quality mostly.

But we live in the here and now, I'd be happy enough for you to keep Dzeko on the bench and we have RVP if you want that.

-- Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:22 am --

Yep I'd have Adebayor over Dzeko any day.
Dzeko won Wolfsburg the League title and won their League Players player of the year award - hardly comparable to O'Shea. That's a ridiculous comparison

Your explanation for RVP's poor goal-scoring form in his first 6 Arsenal seasons is that Bergkamp, Reyes and Henry were the main men. Well that's similar to the situation Dzeko found at City with Aguero, Tevez and Silva....yet Dzeko scored 13 league goals from open play.

But in the game against Spurs, and our opening ones for the season, Dzeko was one of the main men, scoring 4 goals in one game. When Dzeko was relegated to the bench I would have thought his goal scoring record was no better or worse than RVP's playing a similar bit part role.

I'd still rather keep Dzeko though, top lad.

Big Dave Watson said:
This will end up like another Sanchez and Hazard situation. City will do a lot of ground work and then Barcelona will turn his head and get him for a lower fee.

I hope we don't get him. I think he's a great player but i would rather keep what we have and promote from within. We are now in a great position with our squad and i think its time to start using the youth players.

Marvin said:
Dzeko won Wolfsburg the League title and won their League Players player of the year award - hardly comparable to O'Shea. That's a ridiculous comparison

Your explanation for RVP's poor goal-scoring form in his first 6 Arsenal seasons is that Bergkamp, Reyes and Henry were the main men. Well that's similar to the situation Dzeko found at City with Aguero, Tevez and Silva....yet Dzeko scored 13 league goals from open play.

I'm not comparing his contribution to O'Shea, I'm just saying that talking about last season's title doesnt really give a reflection on Dzeko - he was deemed not good enough to start after a certain point, he probably scored no more than 4 or 5 after Xmas(i'm guessing here). RVP won nothing last year but was clearly above everyone in the Premiership, outperforming strikers in better teams like Rooney. It's almost 18 months of free scoring for RVP since December 2010 - this is no freak occurrence, he is fully fit now, stronger than ever. Different if he had half a season of form/a purple patch like Nasri but RVP hasnt stopped scoring in 18 months for us.

As for his early seasons, he was bought as a 21 year old left winger and was learning his trade behind Henry and Bergkamp and Reyes. Played half his matches from the bench. It's not really comparable to Dzeko last year who was bought as a 25/26 year old striker for near 30m(or 27/28 not sure exactly), you expect ready-made players for that.

It's taken Wenger a few years to mould Van Persie into a centre forward but only the last 4 or 5 seasons are relevant in terms of him starting and when he's on the picth, he's score goals in that time. Most people thought he was a Bergkamp type second striker but he's now a number 9, some transformation. Van Persie wil be at a high level until his mid 30s

Rammy Blue said:
It's a shame that people can't see past the end of their noses sometimes.

Bob doesn't rate Dzeko, that should be obvious to any blue who watched us throughout last season.
Sadly, I believe that Rammy Blue is correct that Roberto does not "rate" Edin. If nothing else, this should have been clear both from the former's antics on the touchline and from the fact that, for 10 of his 30 premier league appearances, Edin was on the field for a TOTAL of 82 minutes. I think that part of the reason is that, as Roberto stated some time ago, he sees Edin and Mario as similar types of players and, as anyone who can see past the end of his/her nose also appreciates, he has a 'special' relationship with Mario.

However, many blues cannot see beyond the end of their noses when it comes to Edin's achievements last year. Despite the fact that, as virtually everyone agrees, we do not play to his strengths, Edin had a remarkable year.

Let's compare Edin with Golden Boot winner Van Persie for 2011-12 ( his best season). It should be noted that Van Persie was on the field for the full 90 minutes in 34 of his 38 premier league appearances - and that Arsenal's strategy was focused on him.

* With Edin having a higher conversion rate for clear-cut chances (as defined by Opta Stats) than van Persie, Edin's minutes per goal statistic was 108, whereas van Persie's was 111 (and 118 if penalties are excluded).

* For AWAY games, Edin's minutes per goal statistic was 86, whereas van Persie took 130 minutes per goal. [It makes me want to weep when I see someone on Bluemoon (see above) saying that we should get rid of Edin because he is too inconsistent and that we need van Persie instead because he can score away goals. The poster clearly has no feeling whatever for our away performances last year.]

adrianr said:
Marvin said:
jlc09 said:

For Van Persie, a combination of injuries and his role in the squad in his early seasons meant he wasnt prolific. People forget that RVP wasnt bought as a central striker but more of supporting forward from left wing or deeper. The stats in his first two seasons are misleading, he was a sub as much as he started as we had Henry, Bergkamp and Reyes up front, RVP played off the wing at times too. Was only really from 2007 onwards he became a certain starter and when he was on the pitch, he was quality mostly.

But we live in the here and now, I'd be happy enough for you to keep Dzeko on the bench and we have RVP if you want that.

But in the game against Spurs, and our opening ones for the season, Dzeko was one of the main men, scoring 4 goals in one game. When Dzeko was relegated to the bench I would have thought his goal scoring record was no better or worse than RVP's playing a similar bit part role.

RVP's scoring record over first 6 seasons at Arsenal:

Season Apps Goals
2004–05 26 5
2005–06 24 5
2006–07 22 11
2007–08 15 7
2008–09 28 11
2009–10 16 9
2010–11 25 18
2011–12 38 30

I know he's top quality. Comparable to Aguero, but when you're not starting every week, that's what happens to your goal scoring form. Dzeko performed even better than RVP in similar circumstances so those people claiming they'd swap RVP for Dzeko should think on.

You can only really play 2 strikers in a team, and the 1 on the fringe will suffer. When it was RVP who was on the fringe his game suffered too. The man you should be comparing RVP to over the last 2 seasons is Aguero. And there's only 1 winner there.

brand blue heavies said:
Two things swing me either way on this. Piers Morgan wouldn`t put his neck on the line saying he`d jump off a bridge if RVP went to City. I`m kinda thinking he may know something. Then again Neil Fairbrothers tweet about seeing RVP in Hale makes me think we are at the very least just waiting for him to say yes to us as everything is in place already(wages etc). RVP at city WOW. If he has anywhere near the same form as last year we will walk the league and do very well in the chumps league.

Fot the last time THIS DIDN`T HAPPEN !!! Its was Fairthbrother wumming !!

RVP was better than Aguero last season tbf, pretty much all season long.

If he goes to City, it's obvious one of Dzeko or Tevez will be shipped and you'll be a better side for it.

adrianr said:
Marvin said:
jlc09 said:

+1 and then some.

When does a player stop being 'injury prone'?

His fitness has improved imensely in recent seasons, sometimes it just clicks, body gets stronger, player manages themselves better. Also a bit of luck to avoid nasty challenges from muppets like Chiellini.

You're not buying RVP from 5 years ago, fans overthink stuff at times. Right now RVP is top 3 strikers in Europe(if we consider Ronaldo as wide forwards).

Why am I arguing this LOL, I shouldnt be trying to convince you about RVP/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.