robin van persie (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
newtonheathdave said:
For me there is no better fit than Van Persie. He has been a shit hot player for years now. Yes hes been injured and yes it is a risk but from what I have seen hes miles better than any other the options.

Let us look at the FACTS. I will take the following:

(a) minutes per goal
(b) minutes per assist
(c) minutes per assist or goal

First, consider last season, certainly RVP's best-ever season.

2011-12

Edin (a) 108 (b) 302 (c) 79
RVP (a) 111 (b) 237 (d) 75

Quite close, actually. Indeed, if penalties were excluded, the minutes per assist or goal would be 79 for both! The latter is really quite astonishing given:
(i) Arsenal's strategy focused around RVP, whereas City's strategy (by common consent) did not play to Edin's strengths; and
(ii) whereas RVP was on the field for the full 90 minutes in 34 of his 38 premier league appearances, Edin was 'chopped and changed', i.e. he was on the field for the full 90 minutes in only 10 of his 30 premier league appearances and, for 10 of his appearances, he was on the field for a TOTAL of 82 minutes.

Let's consider their CAREER statistics.

Edin (a) 151 (b) 363 (c) 106
RVP (a) 241 (b) 490 (c) 161

Clearly Edin DOMINATES RVP. (If penalties were excluded, the minutes per goal or assist would favour Edin even more).

I don't know what the claim that RVP has been "a shit hot player for years now" really means. Incidentally these career statistics question the frequent claim that RVP's poor goal scoring record up to and including 2009-10 were due to injuries (to state the obvious, the above relate to time on the pitch). It is also claimed that RVP's poor scoring record was due to his starting out as a winger; but then presumably his assists should be higher for that.

I'm thinking baconface will be in for rvp. We can outbid them but I suspect we won't get into a bidding war with anybody this summer. He would do a job for us as well as them. Feel a bit sorry for dzeko if he is the man to go as we should never have signed him with our playing style in mind. Wish tevez was just a bit shit then it would be easy to insist he be the one to leave but he isn't...

sbm said:
newtonheathdave said:
For me there is no better fit than Van Persie. He has been a shit hot player for years now. Yes hes been injured and yes it is a risk but from what I have seen hes miles better than any other the options.

(a) minutes per goal
(b) minutes per assist

2011-12

Quite close, actually. Indeed, if penalties were excluded, the minutes per assist or goal would be 79 for both! The latter is really quite astonishing given:
(i) Arsenal's strategy focused around RVP, whereas City's strategy (by common consent) did not play to Edin's strengths; and
(ii) whereas RVP was on the field for the full 90 minutes in 34 of his 38 premier league appearances, Edin was 'chopped and changed', i.e. he was on the field for the full 90 minutes in only 10 of his 30 premier league appearances and, for 10 of his appearances, he was on the field for a TOTAL of 82 minutes.

Clearly Edin DOMINATES RVP. (If penalties were excluded, the minutes per goal or assist would favour Edin even more).

I don't know what the claim that RVP has been "a shit hot player for years now" really means. Incidentally these career statistics question the frequent claim that RVP's poor goal scoring record up to and including 2009-10 were due to injuries (to state the obvious, the above relate to time on the pitch). It is also claimed that RVP's poor scoring record was due to his starting out as a winger; but then presumably his assists should be higher for that.

There are actually people who genuinely think Edin is a better player than RVP? Your not just being obtuse are you?

Had high hopes for Dzeko but that first touch just doesnt seem to be there, hard to play a posession game with a forward with the worst first touch in the Premier League (and I cant think of one with worse)

And there is still not a single football team in the world (thats the world by the way) that would not hasve RVP in their first choice team. How many of the top 10 teams would have Dzeko? Any?

I would, Dzeko needs regular games and as many years to be compared, plus he's not a rapist or xxxx either.

Monkfish said:
sbm said:
newtonheathdave said:

(a) minutes per goal
(b) minutes per assist

2011-12

There are actually people who genuinely think Edin is a better player than RVP? Your not just being obtuse are you?

Had high hopes for Dzeko but that first touch just doesnt seem to be there, hard to play a posession game with a forward with the worst first touch in the Premier League (and I cant think of one with worse)

And there is still not a single football team in the world (thats the world by the way) that would not hasve RVP in their first choice team. How many of the top 10 teams would have Dzeko? Any?

I like Dzeko as much as his biggest fan but there is absolutely no denying we don't suit his style of play. I'm hearing that we should buy wingers to accommodate him but surely that is disruptive of a system that works and won us the title. Why change a winning formula to suit a single player when most others excel with it? If it was Messi I'd be all ears but its Dzeko and he's still unproven in my eyes.

RVP plays similar football already at Arsenal and will find us a good fit. His link up play with Silva, Nasri, Aguer and possibly Tevez will be delightful and he's a finisher. I've watched a few games where Dzeko missed glaring chances and was anonymous. RVP will be more prominent I promise that.

NipHolmes said:
I like Dzeko as much as his biggest fan but there is absolutely no denying we don't suit his style of play. I'm hearing that we should buy wingers to accommodate him but surely that is disruptive of a system that works and won us the title. Why change a winning formula to suit a single player when most others excel with it? If it was Messi I'd be all ears but its Dzeko and he's still unproven in my eyes.

RVP plays similar football already at Arsenal and will find us a good fit. His link up play with Silva, Nasri, Aguer and possibly Tevez will be delightful and he's a finisher. I've watched a few games where Dzeko missed glaring chances and was anonymous. RVP will be more prominent I promise that.

We nearly lost the title not having a plan b. We are also the only team in Europe without quick winger(s). We need wingers, we need Dzeko.

Baconface and United can't afford such lavish signings anymore, the quicker people/the media realise the better. How on earth do people expect/anticipate a club who are floating themselves on the New York stock exchange in order to raise capital towards reducing debt to then blow money on high profile signings is beyond me.

In my opinion Van Persie has three options:

1.To see his last year of his contract out.
2.To move to the champions of England.
3.To move to Italy and play at Juventus.

Sunny Coast Blue said:
I would, Dzeko needs regular games and as many years to be compared, plus he's not a rapist or xxxx either.

Monkfish said:
sbm said:

(a) minutes per goal
(b) minutes per assist

2011-12

Oh, come on, worst first touch in the PL. The guy presents a reasoned argument backed up with actual statistics and this is the best response you can give.

I'd say quite a few top teams would have him with his goalscoring record - maybe not Barca/Real but certainly the rags (he'd be ideal for their wing play), chelsea (Drogba replacement), inter, juve, Bayern (if they didn't have Gomez), Milan (if they lost Ibra) would all be in a queue if we were to offer him out at £15m-£20m. Possibly even the 4 I've mentioned above as not being too interested would go for him as, at least, squad cover if he was available.

There's a reason we paid £27m and he still got 19 goals in 40 appearances last season with a lot of time spent on the bench so a bunch of those appearances were as sub. His goals/minute show he is a good striker but people continually harp on about his poor touch but don't acknowledge his goal ratio which does piss me off.

Tevez City said:
newtonheathdave said:
Tevez City said:
I know this is not a popular thing to say, but keeping Tevez will be the best signing City can make this summer.

Can you justify that in comparison to Van Persie?

Van Persie has a better touch, better finish, better in the air, more skill and more intelligent movement imo.
Tevez has more work rate and his skill level is underrated by many but it is not up to Van Persies level I don't think.

For a team that plays possession football I think Van Persie would suit City more than Tevez does.

Feel free to dissagree.

Tevez is a lion, while RVP is a skilful goal poacher.

Well seeing as we need a skillful footballer and not a lion then I would plump for Van Persie

sbm said:
newtonheathdave said:

(a) minutes per goal
(b) minutes per assist

2011-12

Your going off stats where the team has been set up to play for Edins strengths.
I will go of what I have seen of my own eyes and imo Van Persie is so much of a better footballer.
In uniteds team Edin could be a very good player but we don't play like that. It is nice to have that option from the bench but imo Edin is not good enough to be a starter for us.
One thing your stats do not show was how many times the ball was played in to Edin and it bounced 5 yards away from him, giving possession to the opposition while our players were trying to get up to support him, which ultimately put us under pressure. Van Persie holds the ball up great, brings other players into the game and is a better technical footballer than Edin.
At the end of the day if Edin and Van Persie were shoes, they would be be really smart. But you would always wear the shoe that fitted rather than the one that was 2 sizes to big. For me, Van Persie is the shoe that fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.