robin van persie (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It could be smart depending on what we'd do to balance the books.

RVP in at 'big money' and on big wages would be go It would also put Utd in their place and make a 'statement' to the rest of the prem/CL.

If we could offload Adebayor (big wage savings) and get 25m for Dzeko I'd consider that utterly superb business all round.

The idea of Aguero / RVP or Tevez / RVP is irresitable.

love the 'Chemical Alex' photoshop!

The sad thing is the levels of delusion are comparable.

'Yes the Americans have taken over 70% of our country in 5 days but we will defeat them'

'Yes we finished last season empty handed and lost the league but City aren't a threat'

Dubai Blue said:
carlos92 said:
mancityscot said:
i mean, come the fuck on! 30 million for a player in the last year of his contract who wants to leave. arsenal are stupid fecks

True but they did get £24,000,000 for Samir Nasri who was in a similar position to RvP.
Nasri had just turned 25 when City paid that. RVP is 29, has a ridiculously bad injury track record, would be available for nothing in 12 months and has stated that he wants to leave - there is no way he is worth £30 million + huge wages. Arsenal are dreaming if they honestly think they'll get anywhere near that amount.

And City's transfer policy should most definitely not be based around preventing our rivals from securing their own targets. If Mancini wants him because he honestly views him as a valuable addition to our squad then fine, but if he simply wants to stop him going to United (as some suggest) then he is out of his mind.

Saved me typing it mate, people seem to forget that rather major point....

hgblue said:
Dubai Blue said:
carlos92 said:
True but they did get £24,000,000 for Samir Nasri who was in a similar position to RvP.
Nasri had just turned 25 when City paid that. RVP is 29, has a ridiculously bad injury track record, would be available for nothing in 12 months and has stated that he wants to leave - there is no way he is worth £30 million + huge wages. Arsenal are dreaming if they honestly think they'll get anywhere near that amount.

And City's transfer policy should most definitely not be based around preventing our rivals from securing their own targets. If Mancini wants him because he honestly views him as a valuable addition to our squad then fine, but if he simply wants to stop him going to United (as some suggest) then he is out of his mind.

Maybe he just thinks RVP is one of the best strikers in world football today....
If that's his view, then fine (I did actually state that in my original post).

I was responding specifically to the people who seem to think that City should buy players simply to stop United getting them. In my opinion, that would be a ridiculous strategy to adopt, and I would imagine that Mancini and everyone else at City agree.

Dubai Blue said:
hgblue said:
Dubai Blue said:

Maybe he just thinks RVP is one of the best strikers in world football today....

I was responding specifically to the people who seem to think that City should buy players simply to stop United getting them. In my opinion, that would be a ridiculous strategy to adopt, and I would imagine that Mancini and everyone else at City agree.

I was pointing out that those who don't seem to mind the prospect of RVP at United are off their rockers. That's a totally different point I was making.

hgblue said:
Dubai Blue said:
hgblue said:

I was pointing out that those who don't seem to mind the prospect of RVP at United are off their rockers. That's a totally different point I was making.
Yes but he's a Cnut, injury prone one season wonder, too old etc etc etc.
Needs to be wearing blue and not red.

hgblue said:
Dubai Blue said:
hgblue said:

I can't argue with that. There's no doubt United would be improved by signing RVP, but Stoned Rose said we should do all we can to stop that from happening. I don't agree; United are going to sign good players, it will happen and we can't allow ourselves to get sidetracked by that. Our focus should always be on improving our squad, not on preventing United from improving theirs.

Dubai Blue said:
hgblue said:
Dubai Blue said:

I can't argue with that. There's no doubt United would be improved by signing RVP, but Stoned Rose said we should do all we can to stop that from happening. I don't agree; United are going to sign good players, it will happen and we can't allow ourselves to get sidetracked by that. Our focus should always be on improving our squad, not on preventing United from improving theirs.

I think our interest in RVP pre-dates Uniteds? So bearing that in mind, it's reasonable to suggest that we should do everything in our power to sign him. So I agree with both of you ;).

I think that perhaps when considering the RvP situation - and I am sure others in the future -some posters do not give sufficient regard to :

i) Previously we had to be frivolous in expenditure to attract the players that would move us up several levels - as PSG are doing now

ii) That model is unsustainable and there has been increasingly a new model developing at top clubs, e.g. Barca, that takes advantage of player power. This sees agents being fully aware of what can be secured for the player - especially if the transfer fee is reduced - and therefore there is some ritual process where a player says they are off - the 'owning' club tries to drum up a market but the player already knows where they want to go to so declines some approaches.

Eventually, the player is off at a reduced (some might say realistic) transfer fee allowing the money saved to be used to fund the player package

iii) CITY are now in this bracket and with FFPR we need to be - Khaldoon has made a number of statements about us selectively targetting new players rather than some large influx of players - we need to play the proper strategy and let the process run its course.

iv) Few clubs can actually resist this - certainly not Arsenal so they will sell for less than £20m if they have to because they have failed to drive an auction. They will not allow him to run his contract down. The TWATS at playing these game are AC Milan - and they would normally succeed - only a club with CITY's financial muscle could / can afford to simply take a moral stance and say fuck off. Obviously they tried this with Tevez

v) Thankfully the club is not managing player recruitment in a manner to simply satisfy the impatience of fans on forums but will professionally play the right strategy to get the best result for the club. That might be in some cases to strike quickly and in others to let the process play out until it falls right for us

We are a very big club now and even the fans need to start thinking like that

I can't see City or Utd coming up with a fee big enough to justify Arsenal selling the player

It would make more sense for Utd to buy him as their striking options look a lot weaker than they have for some time, whilst we have 3 of the best forwards in European football, none of whom I'd swap for RVP. You could constuct an argument for trading Dzeko for RVP, because Dzeko is not the quick nimble striker that best suits City's game, but on the other hand it's always worthwile having a different type of striker on your books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.