Rochdale... was it a bomb or a plague?

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
The Flash said:
bluebannana said:
stockports a really nice place with some really nice areas- cheadle, bramhall, marple......if anything most of manchester is a shit hole, you only have to go through places like longsight,ardwick and other places to realise how much its gone doen hill

Stockport's not that bad. I've lived and worked in various places in the UK and it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. And seeing as I work on the A6 Nij, i'll be looking out for you passing in your road-sweeping machine and I shall spit on thee.

The outskirts of Stockport are quite nice,I agree,but then I hardly consider Marple Bridge,Bramhall,Cheadle Hulme and Hazel Grove to be Stockport.
Adswood,Bridge Hall,Swythamley Estate,Hillgate,Lancashire Hill and Brinnington are truly horrible.
But now I know you work on the A6,I shall pop in your workplace and say hello.
My order is a happy meal,fries and a banana milkshake,so have it ready when I drive the Testarossa through,there's a good chap.

Ah the irony. My first ever job was at that very McDonalds! And calling your pushbike 'Testarossa' doesn't make it a Ferrari. pffft!

I'm actually based in St. Christopher house, a bit further up.

Andy Dale said:
Swales lives said:
lafitz2008 said:
Has immigration in those areas made them worse than they would have been or would things be as bad or worse without ?

This is a tricky one. Immigration has definitely not helped though. When towns deteriorate so rapidly, it's partly due to lack of civic pride, Old Rochdale people will detest what has happened to their town, 'new' Rochdale people (imigrants, Asian and east European), will not be aware of its history and living in a shithole will seem normal to them. Homegrown whitetrash are as culpable as anyone else. Don't know what the answer is. Maybe build a "Shard" or have a massive big-wheel next to those flats on Spotland Road.

Those flats are the Falinge area. I used to have a flat on there when I split from my childrens mother . Falinge flats has the highest number of benefit claimants in the country. It is flooded with asylum seekers and you wouldnt walk through it on your own at night . There are now major racism problems on the estate , wiyh the locals angry at the way the area has gone downhill.
Gillian Duffy was the woman who Gordon Brown called a bigot lives right next to the estate and has done for years. She has seen it go to shit first hand . Many agreed with her but Brown labelled her a racist basically. He should try living there.
Hilary Devey of Dragons Den first came to national prominence when she made Secret Millionaire. She stayed in a flat on Falinge . She spent the first 15 minutes of the programme looking around the estate and going in the nearest pub. The Highland Laddie. It was full of low lifes and bone idle people with no future. She described the place as pretty dire. She then spent the rest of her time in the Syke area out in the sticks , over 1 1/2 miles away.
As for Spotland Rd itself , it has gone to shit the whole length of it.Ten years ago there was 7 pubs on it.All 100/150 yards apart. On a Sunday a gang of us would do a pub crawl along it. Start in Highland Laddie(closed) . Bowling Green . Albert(asian flats). The Victoria(asian flats) . Funnies(asian house0 ,Carters(asian flats) , Golden Ball(funeral directors). It was always a great night. . . All except The Bowling Green remain and that is in danger of closing ( for the 3rd time).
All of us often reminice about those days. Its gone forever now but every main road in Rochdale has suffered the same fate. Fucking shame really.

Interesting that you mention Hillary Devey staying there for that programme, she didnt. She was filmed going into and out of the flat and filmed a few bits in there but as soon as filming stopped she headed straight for the centre of Manchester and stayed in the Midland Hotel!

I live a couple of miles away in Littleborough and have done so all my life. I too have seen Rochdale deteriorate in the last decade or so to such an extent that I would sooner drive past it and go shopping in Bury (hardly Monte Carlo in itself) which is a pretty sad state of affairs..

Bluemoon dan said:
Andy Dale said:
Swales lives said:
This is a tricky one. Immigration has definitely not helped though. When towns deteriorate so rapidly, it's partly due to lack of civic pride, Old Rochdale people will detest what has happened to their town, 'new' Rochdale people (imigrants, Asian and east European), will not be aware of its history and living in a shithole will seem normal to them. Homegrown whitetrash are as culpable as anyone else. Don't know what the answer is. Maybe build a "Shard" or have a massive big-wheel next to those flats on Spotland Road.

Those flats are the Falinge area. I used to have a flat on there when I split from my childrens mother . Falinge flats has the highest number of benefit claimants in the country. It is flooded with asylum seekers and you wouldnt walk through it on your own at night . There are now major racism problems on the estate , wiyh the locals angry at the way the area has gone downhill.
Gillian Duffy was the woman who Gordon Brown called a bigot lives right next to the estate and has done for years. She has seen it go to shit first hand . Many agreed with her but Brown labelled her a racist basically. He should try living there.
Hilary Devey of Dragons Den first came to national prominence when she made Secret Millionaire. She stayed in a flat on Falinge . She spent the first 15 minutes of the programme looking around the estate and going in the nearest pub. The Highland Laddie. It was full of low lifes and bone idle people with no future. She described the place as pretty dire. She then spent the rest of her time in the Syke area out in the sticks , over 1 1/2 miles away.
As for Spotland Rd itself , it has gone to shit the whole length of it.Ten years ago there was 7 pubs on it.All 100/150 yards apart. On a Sunday a gang of us would do a pub crawl along it. Start in Highland Laddie(closed) . Bowling Green . Albert(asian flats). The Victoria(asian flats) . Funnies(asian house0 ,Carters(asian flats) , Golden Ball(funeral directors). It was always a great night. . . All except The Bowling Green remain and that is in danger of closing ( for the 3rd time).
All of us often reminice about those days. Its gone forever now but every main road in Rochdale has suffered the same fate. Fucking shame really.

Interesting that you mention Hillary Devey staying there for that programme, she didnt. She was filmed going into and out of the flat and filmed a few bits in there but as soon as filming stopped she headed straight for the centre of Manchester and stayed in the Midland Hotel!

I live a couple of miles away in Littleborough and have done so all my life. I too have seen Rochdale deteriorate in the last decade or so to such an extent that I would sooner drive past it and go shopping in Bury (hardly Monte Carlo in itself) which is a pretty sad state of affairs..
I stand corrected . They made it look as though she stayed there . She would've fitted right in I thought , what with her son being a smack head.

Andy Dale said:
Bluemoon dan said:
Andy Dale said:

I stand corrected . They made it look as though she stayed there . She would've fitted right in I thought , what with her son being a smack head.

That was the impression they were meant to give. Used to really like that programme until I found that out. Now I'm even more cynical than usual when watching it!

Judging this topic on the posts so far it seems that Rochdale and many other towns up & down the country started going downhill rapidly when Labour(the party for the working class) came to power in 97 and opened the immigration floodgate. Import people from the 3rd world, the country turns into the 3rd world.

jdc08rulez said:
On Newsnight the other night, they said that Rochdale has more childrens care homes than the whole of Greater London.

That is a frightening fact.

Where do you think all those girls abused in that recent trial came from ?
They were from all over the north west but the homes they were in , were in Rochdale.

W12 said:
Judging this topic on the posts so far it seems that Rochdale and many other towns up & down the country started going downhill rapidly when Labour(the party for the working class) came to power in 97 and opened the immigration floodgate. Import people from the 3rd world, the country turns into the 3rd world.

So we had no immigration prior to 1997?
This country is a nation of immigrants,and always has been.
But by all means ingore that and blame Labour if it fits your simplistic worldview.
It's probably Labour's fault it's fucking raining as well,as the coalition clearly inherited this bad weather from them.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.