Rodney Marsh and Dennis Tueart

I'll mention Dave Watson. Solid as a rock, nothing got past him in the air or on the ground, he had vision and read the game with ease.

In my mind, one of the best players I've seen at City, and that includes the current squad.

If he was playing for us today, he would be a pivotal member of the team. He was utterly dependable, made the game look easy, and like you, I'm often bemused that he is rarely mentioned. His influence on the most consistent team in our history at that point is beyond question.

This is a thread about Rodney Marsh, but Watson was an absolute pillar for us at that time.
Big Dave was one of my first City heroes. As good as he was for City he was one of those guys who played even better for his country. Legend

Dave Watson and Mike Doyle were my 2 favourite players from that City team of the 70s.
Both were top notch central defenders,took no shit from opposition forwards, and both scored important goals on occasion.
A great defensive partnership.
Doyle and Watson were a top notch pairing, however I had the misfortune, some might say good luck, in early February 77 to see them being shredded playing together for England at Wembley by Cruyff's fantastic Dutch team. It was 2-0 to the Dutch but it could have been anything. Sadly Mike's last England appearance but that night I saw in the flesh where Pep gets his football ideas from. The passing and movement of the Dutch, their interchanges, control and touch, just everything, it was like something from another planet and Mike and Dave like the rest of our boys were mesmerised

Doyle and Watson were a top notch pairing, however I had the misfortune, some might say good luck, in early February 77 to see them being shredded playing together for England at Wembley by Cruyff's fantastic Dutch team. It was 2-0 to the Dutch but it could have been anything. Sadly Mike's last England appearance but that night I saw in the flesh where Pep gets his football ideas from. The passing and movement of the Dutch, their interchanges, control and touch, just everything, it was like something from another planet and Mike and Dave like the rest of our boys were mesmerised
Cruyff's last game for The Netherlands (Holland).

The Holland team of the 1970s were an exceptional talent,with great players in almost every position.
"The best team never to win the World Cup" were one of many accolades they were given.
Built around a nucleus of the Ajax triple European Cup winning side 1971- 74.

The Holland team of the 1970s were an exceptional talent,with great players in almost every position.
"The best team never to win the World Cup" were one of many accolades they were given.
Built around a nucleus of the Ajax triple European Cup winning side 1971- 74.
They were a fantastic team, lost 2 World Cup Finals, if you watch the start of the 74 final they kick off against West Germany (who were pretty good themselves) and the Germans' first touch of the ball is to pick it out of their net after a Dutch penalty given after a Cityesque passing movement led by Cruyff who was fouled in the box by Vogts who was trying to man mark him. You are dead right about the Ajax team, also brilliant, total football, anybody could play anywhere. I remember going down to Stoke to watch them play the Stokies in the 74 UEFA Cup. Stoke were a top team team led by one of my footballing heroes, Alan Hudson. Ended up 1-1 but bloody hell even the Ajax warm up was something to behold!!

I was told he wasn't a team player.
A non-team player who won a League Cup final with a brilliant overhead kick?

I loved both Tueart and Marsh. I don’t blame Rodney for the title loss. It was all down to Allison and his team selection. It wasn’t anything to do with Marsh. He should have been integrated into the team in stages, preferably after the title was secured! From what I recall for my deepest memory, City were already on the slide before Marsh was signed?

it would never happen now due to the transfer window. City had enough problems more recently integrating Mahrez into the team with Sterling and Sané in possession of the wide roles. It paid off in the end but took some time.

iv asked him twice on twitter if he cost us the league in 72 and both times he has said yes

one time i asked him i had said something like " i was a young kid but my dad always says you cost us the league"
he replied
" tell your dad he is right "

i was 7 in 1972 and Rodney was a real hero for me and i guess other young kids at that time

i always remember one game ( correct me if i'm wrong ) he was taking the mickey out of an opposition player by dribbling and teasing him repeatedly,it got that bad he just sat down on the ball for a second or two teasing the player even more,I'm sure i witnessed that.

alwayd remember him falling to his knees when he crossed the ball into the box for i think Colin to equalise for us v wolves in the 1974 league cup.final

what a showman he was.
I was eight in 72 and I absolutely idolised Rodney I also idolised Dennis as well so it pains me that they despise each other so much but so is life I suppose.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.