Roma vs Manchester City Pre-Match thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
80s Shorts said:
Very very tough ask without Kompany, Yaya, Aguero and Silva. (Fern ?)

I will be surprised if we get through but heres hoping.

Without our four acknowledged world-class players (is Merlin definitely out, by the way?) I honestly think it would be nothing short of miraculous. BUT. But several things comfort me. Jimmy Milner is playing his socks off at present, and is in fine form. Likewise Nasri. Fernandinho is coming back into the form of last season at just the right time. And we have Lampard, who knows games like this like the back of his hand. We could just get a scoring draw and, if I've understood correctly, we go through if Bayern beat CSKA. Which I expect them to do, weakened team or not.
I'm pretty relaxed about it. To have gone out without recording any kind of win would have been disgraceful. Well, we've got the win, and not against just anybody. Everything else is bonus. Had we completely fucked up in the league, this tie would look different to me. Now, if we go through, it's icing on the cake.
Do it, blue boys. Just for fun…

Here are the scenario's

A place in the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League is on the line when AS Roma and Manchester City FC face off at the Stadio Olimpico on matchday six.

Who can go through?

• Roma will qualify with a win and will also advance if they draw and PFC CSKA hold FC Bayern in the other Group E game. If CSKA lose, Roma will progress with a goalless draw but not a score draw.

• City must win and hope that CSKA do not, or get a score draw and hope CSKA lose. If they lose, they are out of Europe altogether.

I'm still confused!

Really Jealous of everyone going to this!

The atmosphere will be unbelievable!

I think this is one of those games where we are just going to do the business. I think they will be a lot more nervous then us and we seem to be in good form! Even without aguero, I reckon we'll win on the night.

Hihosilva said:
Here are the scenario's

A place in the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League is on the line when AS Roma and Manchester City FC face off at the Stadio Olimpico on matchday six.

Who can go through?

• Roma will qualify with a win and will also advance if they draw and PFC CSKA hold FC Bayern in the other Group E game. If CSKA lose, Roma will progress with a goalless draw but not a score draw.

• City must win and hope that CSKA do not, or get a score draw and hope CSKA lose. If they lose, they are out of Europe altogether.

I'm still confused!

We need to score and get more points than CSKA to finish 2nd.

If both City and CSKA win we go into the EL. If we draw 0-0 and CSKA lose we go into the EL.

Please could someone clarify for me. If CSKA draw and City get a score draw in Rome, we will all have 6 pts. Cska will have a better head to head on City and we will have a better record than Roma ( given our goal difference is superior). Yet Roma have a better head to head than CSKA. So surely with our better goal difference we will qualify since each club is up one and down one...or am I missing something?

solley attwell said:
Please could someone clarify for me. If CSKA draw and City get a score draw in Rome, we will all have 6 pts. Cska will have a better head to head on City and we will have a better record than Roma ( given our goal difference is superior). Yet Roma have a better head to head than CSKA. So surely with our better goal difference we will qualify since each club is up one and down one...or am I missing something?

Imagine a mini-league with Bayerns results removed. In the case of two draws on Wed. we would be bottom of the mini league with 3 points, CSKA would have 5, Roma 6, Roma would qualify

-----------------------Hart--------------------
Zabaleta-Kompany-Mangala-Clichy
--------------------Fernando----------------
--------Fernandinho-----Lampard------
Nasri---------------Dzeko----------Milner

I don't know if Navas should or shouldn't play because on one hand he didn't plat well against Everton and on the other hand we need his pace to play on the break.

Silva, if available, won't start.

Mangala's pace will be needed because Gervinho and Maicon tore our left hand side apart at our place.

Lampards experience is an absolute must if you ask me.

Dzeko over Jovetic for me because think direct football will be needed in this game, with Edin we can get the ball up to him and get runners like Frank and Nasri running off him.

We have a lot of key players out but I still think we have a team with the quality and experience to grind out a 1-1 draw, which for me will be enough because I still think Bayern will beat CSKA.

Does anyone really think Bayern would go out in front of thousands of paying fans and play not to win? Deluded. They're clearly a team that don't accept any result but a win, they'll beat CSKA.

Does anyone really think Bayern would go out in front of thousands of paying fans and play not to win? Deluded. They're clearly a team that don't accept any result but a win, they'll beat CSKA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.