Roma vs Manchester City Pre-Match thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
LoveCity said:
If Roma field a midfield 3 of Strootman, Pjanic and De Rossi, I'm a bit worried we'll get overrun in midfield. Strootman is a monster who will be joining United in the near future and we'd need to probably play 3 ourselves to match them, which would mean Fernando/Fernandinho/Lampard (or Milner). But we don't need to win this. 1 goal for us and Roma have to score 2, so I wouldn't mind a conservative approach if we can get that 1 goal.

I think we need to play Fernandinho and Fernando as our anchors and have Milner dropping deep when out of possession to make it a midfield three. It won't be that creative but that midfield three can grind and graft a game out.

I am not expecting pretty football but I expect workrate tonight and hopefully some decent counter attacking football.

I really think we need to score first, if we do that I reckon a few panic buttons will be pressed in the Roma camp because even if they got one back and made it 1-1, that result could and will likely (in my opinion) take us through.

We need to take a few lessons from Mourinho tonight and grind out a monotonous yet effective game plan that will see us get the result we need.

LoveCity said:
If Roma field a midfield 3 of Strootman, Pjanic and De Rossi, I'm a bit worried we'll get overrun in midfield. Strootman is a monster who will be joining United in the near future and we'd need to probably play 3 ourselves to match them, which would mean Fernando/Fernandinho/Lampard (or Milner). But we don't need to win this. 1 goal for us and Roma have to score 2, so I wouldn't mind a conservative approach if we can get that 1 goal.

Won't happen mate!
We'll likely be playing with Pjanic,Nainggolan and a man between Keita and De Rossi (Keita ahead right now) in the midfield.

Zab-vinny-mangala-clichy
---Fernando--Fernandinho---
--Navas----Nasri----Milner--
------------Jovetic---------

FantasyIreland said:
Zab-vinny-mangala-clichy
---Fernando--Fernandinho---
--Navas----Nasri----Milner--
------------Jovetic---------

I agree with the selection other than I suspect that Manuel may pick Edin ahead of Jovetic. I can see the logic behind picking Jovetic because Edin is still not match sharpened.

This is going to be a very hostile environment. I wonder whether the ref is going to be influenced. Judging by previous experience I would not be surprised if we got quite a few rough calls against us.

If we get a fair shake from the ref, then I am quite confident that we can get a good result in this game. We are playing so much better than when we last played them.

I would go with:

----------------------Hart---------------------
-Zaba---Kompany--Mangala---Clichy
----------Fernandinho--Fernando------
Navas---------Lampard------Nasri-----
-------------------Dzeko--------------------

Harsh on Milner, but without Aguero, I think we need Navas's pace to pose a threat and push their defence back. I'd also back Lampard to have an influence on the game - his experience could be key.

Milner and Jovetic on the bench would mean we have two players who can come on and immediately lift the tempo, should we need it. Plus Silva, who can, of course, change the game by himself (or give us more control if we're ahead).

Surprisingly given our form in Europe and the absentees, I'm quite confident we can do it.

The omens are good. Champagne supernova playing whilst I'm eating my breakfast in hotel next to the Colloseum.

Come on City!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.